Melbourne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Melbourne

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
It was great to spend a few days in Melbourne and actually have time to have a look around instead of my usual rush to the G and home again trips.

What a wonderful city.

The walk along the river from the Tennis Centre back to the city is lovely. It's great to see families with their picnics all along the banks of the Yarra.

Federation square is awesome. It's not my taste in architecture but what a wonderful meeting place.

On Fri morning the square was packed with tennis supporters. There were live interviews and competitions etc.

On Saturday the banks of the Yarra and Fed Square were host to a colourful Indonesian festival.

It's great for Victorians to have such an asset as a meeting place, and good for people who don't have tickets to various events to be able to meet there and watch on the big screen with others who share the same interests.

Then there is South Bank. It caters for everyones tastes and budgets, and is a good relaxing place to sit and watch the world go by.

A mention must be made of the public transport system in Melb too. It would have to be the best of any city I've ever visited. I could spend a day on the trams just checking out and having the occasional chat to the many characters you meet.

The people are friendly and to me a bonus is they really love their sport. Must have been asked the tennis results a dozen times by people in the city after the games. Same happens after the footy too.

Which brings me to the icing on the Melbourne cake. On top of everything else it has going for it, Melbourne is also the AFL capital and home of The Mighty Tigers.

I could keep going about how clean the city is now and the wonderful parks and gardens.

My only complaint is the weather. Too bloody hot. ;D

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
A lot of work has gone into improving the city and making the Yarra into a feature rather than the butt of sewer jokes that it (deservedly) used to be.
I'll happily spread the word for a job well done. :)

P

PuntRoadRoar

who is paying you rosy?

I always thought Brisbane was an awesome city, i must have been incorrect

:p

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
Actually, I have to agree that Melbourne is really looking wonderful rosy and for the reasons you mentioned.

We had a stroll along the Yarra last time I was in Melbourne which was good and then went for a drive along the Promenade(?), which was even better.

If Melbournians are anything like Sydneysiders, It's sad to think of all those people that live there and probably never get into the city or spend time there to see how good it is.

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
What's Federation Square? Is that where the old eyesore opposite the Town Hall used to be? With the large screen? Can't even remember what it was called?

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale
It's where the old Gas & Fuel buildings used to be Julz, opposite Flinders St. station.

Funny Rosy, I've been working in the city for 25 years, so I guess some of that nice stuff just passes me by - maybe I'm so used to it that I don't see it !

Give me a home among the gum trees ....... ;D

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Hartbalme said:
Give me a home among the gum trees ....... ;D

Agree Hartbalme. The city is great to visit and greater to leave behind again.

N/E Vic, paradise on earth. Ahhhhhhh the serenity.

Thus ends rosy's travel brochure volume 2.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
My personal opinion is that Melbourne is a dump but I dont expect you people to take that all that well.

Dirty city with too many feral homeless people adn graffiti everywhere. Not the type of place I would want to live anymore.

Great sporting city though. Will always visit it once or twice per year and I did used to live there albeit in Werribee.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Dean3 said:
First Johnny Howard, now Melbourne's a dump. What next Shawry, you're a Magpie supporter?? :mad: ;D

I reckon there's a fair chance, that our Shawry might live in Alexander Downer's electorate. :-X ;D

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Tigerman: Yes I am in Mayo. My girlfriend lives on the same road as Alexander Downer and I am in that electorate. Good work.

Tigerdog: Yes was born in Lake Jackson USA, ahve American citizenship aswell as Austrlaian and can get an American passport. Luckile I love Adelaide.

Dean3:
Yes rate Johnny Howard. Cant help my views on Melbourne, MAgpie supporter though, never. ;D ;D

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
On that my social basketball team is called The Beaumont Kids. We know it is wrong, but it was like that before I started playing for them. It has kind of stuck.

P

PuntRoadRoar

wow cool lets play bag the citys

Melbourne is a dump, only good for footy

Sydney sucks, too large and too crowded and anyone living there would think they are the capital of australia.

Brisbane, rocks great weather lots to do fun fun fun

Adelaide: too old too slow LOL

Perth: the new brisbane, fast growth, great weather top place

Tassie... never been there might be nice for a holiday

ACT: middle of nowhere surrounded by nothing

NT: crikey mate what you doin up there??? i dont think id enjoy it very much.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
CAnt argue PRR, Adealide is ok but you can run out of options if you are from other places.

Brisbane I would assume would be great, Perth is magic, going there next March too on our way to London. Should be magic.