Members' Forum 29/10/2003 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Members' Forum 29/10/2003

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Young Tiger said:
[There is a tendancy on this site for people to put down others for not buying a membership.

I think you have misconstrued some of the criticism Rosy.

I don't think so. ::) Were you reading PRE 12 months ago? Maybe I shouldn't have said "on this site" even, it's been common to read critisism about people not buying memberships on any of the boards we've had over the years.

People try to bestow their values on others. I even try to get every Tiger fan I know to buy a membership, but I realise it's not as important to some people as it is to me and I respect their personal views.

I follow the Bushrangers but don't have a membership and wouldn't like being hassled or have the guilt trip put on me by them that I should join up.

I used to follow the basketball a bit but never considered buying a membership to the other "Tigers".

I have been critisised on the message board myself a few years ago for buying my sons memberships to the Hawks and Roos because I was helping out other clubs. (they were Tiger members as well anyway)

Everyone is free to discuss the merits of memberships with others, but imo if they have no desire to buy one they are no less of a supporter than the rest of us.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Fair enough Rosy.

I suppose what really irritates me is when other Tiger supporters come out and openly put out a call for other supporters not to buy a membership. It is a little bit like someone trying to convince me to stop feeding my tried and trusted pet dog of 10 years.

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
rosy3 said:
Young Tiger said:
[There is a tendancy on this site for people to put down others for not buying a membership.

I think you have misconstrued some of the criticism Rosy.

I don't think so. ::) Were you reading PRE 12 months ago? Maybe I shouldn't have said "on this site" even, it's been common to read critisism about people not buying memberships on any of the boards we've had over the years.

People try to bestow their values on others. I even try to get every Tiger fan I know to buy a membership, but I realise it's not as important to some people as it is to me and I respect their personal views.

I follow the Bushrangers but don't have a membership and wouldn't like being hassled or have the guilt trip put on me by them that I should join up.

I used to follow the basketball a bit but never considered buying a membership to the other "Tigers".

I have been critisised on the message board myself a few years ago for buying my sons memberships to the Hawks and Roos because I was helping out other clubs. (they were Tiger members as well anyway)

Everyone is free to discuss the merits of memberships with others, but imo if they have no desire to buy one they are no less of a supporter than the rest of us.

geez- been trawling through this site for a number of days now and only found this thread now!!

MC24- congratulations and a big thank you for this excellent summary and responses to queries about the forum. obviously, i couldn't go but i had a friend that apparently went, although after comparing their report to yours i'm not that sure ::). what you did is much appreciated i'm sure by all us interstate members.

now rosy,
i think we have the same opinions about purchasing or not purchasing memberships but i did want to double-check one issue with you.

Firstly, i agree people should have the right to choose whether to buy a membership or not. i understand prices can be prohibitive and some people don't want to purchase memberships as a form of message to the club. i respect their decision to do with their money what they will.

having said that, i do feel strongly that members deserve some reward when it comes to finals tickets &, IMO, club merchandise, for their investment in the club over "barrackers".

for example, i support the members priority in the distribution of final tickets. as has been indicated, paying members are essential to the survival of the club and have given up certain other factors to take up a membership (in my case it was a PRE t-shirt, although I'm still trying to weedle one out as a pressie somewhere along the line..)

as a consequence, i do think members deserve an advantage over barrackers. i'm also in favour of the club's push to recognise long-standing members for similar reasons, provided they recognise disadvantage to younger members in this regard.

hopefully you agree.

incidentally, just a very quick online middle finger to anyone that begrudges tiges supporters taking out memberships in rival clubs. to support the growth of the AFL in NSW/ ACT i have bought memberships in sydney and the roos as well as the tiges at significant expense to, at that time, a full-time student!!.

i don't think there was a problem with my actions & i certainly barrack for the tiges whenever they and one of these teams meets....i just love the expression on my league-loving brother's face when he gets his swans membership each Xmas- classic ;D

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Sorry Canb I really don't understand what you're asking me. Feel free to try again if I miss your point. :)

I have no issues with paying members having some advantages over supporters.

I think it's great that the club recognises and rewards people's support throughout the years.

I also realise that the recognition isn't important to everyone either.

I try to encourage people to sign up and do so whenever I get the opportunity.

I tell them my views but I also accept theirs.

A common comment is why give money to such a poor performing club.

I'm certain there are a large element of supporters who will sign up when the team has onfield success again.

Like it or not that is more important to some people than the frills and benefits.

I'll be interested to see the membership total next season. There's not a lot of doubt that without the benefits and recognition that membership would be pretty low unless the team were very competitive on the ground from the outset.

I can't be bothered reading back through this thread so I've probably repeated myself, and I don't know if I've even answered your query into the bargain, ha. ;D

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
;D- you got it rosy, thanks. i just wondered if you agreed members deserve some advantage over supporters and you say you do so that's great :)

i too am interested in what membership will be like next year and whether on-field success will translate into greater member numbers.

personally, i think the incentive scheme is a real smart move by the club to retain members, even during the bad times.

GOOD ON YA TIGES!

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Thanks for the comments and feedback everyone. Much appreciated.

Glad to be of help CanbTiger. I know what it's like to be a long distance supporter. ;)