Members Information Night 24/6/03 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Members Information Night 24/6/03

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
This meeting has been touched on briefly on another post but I would like to expand on a few things.

Firstly, I must say I was surprised and disappointed with the turn out. About 20 people showed. This was great opportunity for people to ask questions about "our" club. People have said that the Club doesn't listen to the members. When they do and put on something that the members have asked for the members don't show. I don't get it - But enough of my moaning ;)

Clinton Casey, Ian Campbell and Greg Hutchinson represented the Club. Greg Miller who was supposed to be there but was in W.A. surveying talent and couldn't attend.

Clinton Casey gave a brief overview of what the Club has being doing over the last 6-8 months since he conducted his reveiw at the end of last season. He said the board was extremely happy with the way the Footy Dept was going since the arrival of Greg Miller.

He also mentioned the article that appeared in last weeks H/Sun quoting him regarding our membership numbers. His comment that was quoted everywhere regarding our membership numbers being a "disgrace" was not meant as a critisism of members who hadn't re-signed. But with the comments before and after that statement not being printed it came across as a "serve" to lapsed members.

Ian Campbell spoke about how is settling in since arriving at Tigerland. He said and stressed this point that he wants to hear from people and will always reply. He is usually at the pre-game sausage sizzles so go up and speak to him. Or alternatively email or phone him with questions, complaints and ideas.

Hutchy spoke about the Footy Dept. He emphasised that the Club will be very aggressive at trade time and the reviewing of our list is well underway. Greg Miller has been spending alot of time with Greg Beck regarding the types of players we are looking for to improve our list.

The other thread has noted that:
For 2003 we are paying 97% of the total salary cap. The Club decided to go 3 short on the list because the depth of talent in last years draft was not great.

For season 2004 we will pay 98% of the salary cap. This figure is approved by the Board.

Other topics:

Our Rookies
It is highly unlikely that we will promote any of our rookies this season to play seniors. Kel Moore has developed the early signs of OP. Pickering has been injured for most of the season.

And.. Matt Shir... re-injured his thigh in the dying minutes of Coburgs game on Saturday and will miss at least another month :-\

Games at Telstra
As mentioned will continue. Clinton Casey gave this example. We are required to play there 5 times over 2 seasons. In season 2002 we played the Bulldogs a crowd of 30-35,000 - the Club made $0.00 form that game. In season 2003 the same game in Round 2 and the CLub makes at least $100,000 because our home games now guaranteed a set figure.

I am off to the THC launch now so I will continue this when I return

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Well I am back. What a wonderful luncheon to launch the THC and to salute the great players of the 43 & 67 premierships.

Let me continue:

Footy Dept part 2
Greg Mller will be (as he is now) heavily involved in recruiting this year. As I mentioned he was in W.A. yesterday. He was over there not only to check out kids but also players in the 19-21 age groups. As Hutchy put it the Club is trying to look outside the square because it is predicted that this year new talent (kids) will be light on again.

Sponsorship
Both Ian Campbell & Clinton Casey said that the Club will have major announcements in the next couple months regarding sponsorship for next season. These deals will put us up there with the Pies and Bombers

The infamous mail out from a couple of weeks ago
The mail house the Club uses has admitted that they made a major blunder and accordingly, those of us who received the "lapsed members letter" in error will be receiveing a letter of apology in the mail in the next few weeks.

The JDF
Stage 2 will be launched shortly. Part of this stage is the continued re-development of Punt Road in particular the Social Club, which as mentioned somewhere else will be extended to the foot of the oval and will include a recovery area that the Cheer Squad will be able to use to make their banners.

Fixturing
The Club as part of the wish list for season 2004 we have requested no games in Perth next season. Hutchy pointed out that by season end we would have travelled to Perth 3 times (this includes Geraldton pre-season) which is excessive compared to other Clubs. Especially when you look at C'wood who haven't played in Perth for 3 years. They have also been disppointed that we have played Port Adel once in Melb in the last 5 season - pretty unfair if you ask this Koala!

The Club has also requested as part of their Telstra deal that they play the following teams at the Dome:
Kangas, Dogs, Cats and St Kilda. Their preference is to play all interstate teams at the MCG

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Oops.. it's a shocker when you remeber things you should have said on the last post... :-\

The New Pool
Will be open to the public in the next couple of weeks. RFC members get a 50% discout to use the Punt Road pool :D

Membership
The Club is hard at work on its rewards program for next season. Ian Campbell is also working hard with the local business community to offer all members benefits. As Clinton Casey said the idea with our membership and the goal of improving it is to give it value outside of just gaining access to games. So if someone who might not be able to attend all games clearly sees that there is extra value for their $130 then they may renew rather tha letting it lapse

I think that's all.... :-\

Until I remember something else of course ;D

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Koalalill said:
People have said that the Club doesn't listen to the members.

Ian Campbell mentioned in a letter he sent out that he wanted to listen to what the people are saying.

I e-mailed him over a week ago and still haven't received a reply.

I mentioned this site and a couple of posts on it.

I asked a couple of non site related questions as well.

I wonder if my e-mail was even recieved when it wasn't acknowledged.

Maybe it wasn't, who knows?

Maybe Ian just didn't like the site in the last week or so.

I hope that's not the case. Tiger people need to be Tiger tough. It could get worse yet, ha ;)

P

PuntRoadRoar

Collingwood played in perth twice last year, but i agree they dont play anywhere near enough games interstate compared to us and other victorian teams and when they do they get an easier ride.

in regards to memebership i give the club $90 a year to RFC (interstate member, not a WA supporters club memeber) and i live in perth, what incentive is there gunna be for me next year considering i have been a member since 95, and its not like i will get the chance to swim in the punt road pool every week.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
Ian Campbell mentioned in a letter he sent out that he wanted to listen to what the people are saying.

I e-mailed him over a week ago and still haven't received a reply.

He did say last night Rosy that he may take a little while but he does answer. He said the Chief of the Tiger's Lair could confirm this. Did you email him direct?

He seems very genuine and I think he is going to be very good for the Tigers. I reckon he is there long term

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
PuntRoadRoar said:
in regards to memebership i give the club $90 a year to RFC (interstate member, not a WA supporters club memeber) and i live in perth, what incentive is there gunna be for me next year considering i have been a member since 95, and its not like i will get the chance to swim in the punt road pool every week.

Fair point PRR but at least they are making the effort. I think we need to wait and see until the rewards program is launched to see what they offer.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
Koalalill said:
Did you email him direct?

Yep. :)

Gee I wish I had of known - I saw him again today at the THC luncheon. I would have said "why haven't you answered Rosy - is it because it is to scary on PRE" ;D

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Haha KL, what a formidable force it would be if us two ganged up on the poor guy. ;D

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Kl
The Club has also requested as part of their Telstra deal that they play the following teams at the Dome:
Kangas, Dogs, Cats and St Kilda. Their preference is to play all interstate teams at the MCG

Any explanation to go with this Kl??
If we are guaranteed x amount of dollars regardless of who we play there.... and the more we get at the G, which is easier because it's a superior venue... then why wouldn't we want as many clashes at the G as possible to be against other Victorian clubs.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Tigerdog said:
Any explanation to go with this Kl??
If we are guaranteed x amount of dollars regardless of who we play there.... and the more we get at the G, which is easier because it's a superior venue... then why wouldn't we want as many clashes at the G as possible to be against other Victorian clubs.

TD,
Sorry about the delay in replying. No definite reason given. Though I understand that Telstra Dome management did want the games to have decent crowds so the amount of money they are handing over is coming out of gate receipts.

What I mean is - to make money at Telstra you need a crowd of 30,000. So if Richmond played games that only attracted crowds of 15,000 Telstra would lose money and on top of that pay Richmond the set fee (say $150k to RFC plus $50k gate lose). With the bigger drawing games Telstra at least break even or make money. So instead having to find $200k as in my first example they may make $50k on the gate and then pay RFC $150k which means it is only costing them $100k. Does that make sense?

And as one older supporer said on the night - they'd rather see the Club sell 4 games to Telstra and have 11 home games in Victoria than have the Club sell home games interstate - like the Bulldogs, Hawks, Demons, and Saints.

End of the day I think it is about the $$$ involved - and how badly we as a CLub need them