Michael Green | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Michael Green

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
23.21.159 said:
Read the article on afl.com.au. He's done a fair bit since. Playing 146 games alone doesn't qualify you for Life Membership.

Had no idea he's been on the appeals board for 15 years. Why haven't we had better treatment (Jake King etc)? ;D

And Kevin Rose is 73. Hard to argue they haven't been a bit tardy in his case.

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Had no idea he's been on the appeals board for 15 years. Why haven't we had better treatment (Jake King etc)? ;D
Because the AFL are a totally egalitarian, uncorrupted organisation of the highest moral fortitude.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Congratulations to Michael for his life membership.
He probably only got a game in the 67 Grand Final after that dog John Nicholls took a dive in the Second Second Final and then wasn't man enough to to admit it, which caused Neville crowe to get suspended for 4 weeks and miss out on a Premiership.

How sweet it was 2 years later when Michael towelled up Nicholls and Percy Jones to be best on gound in the 69 Premiership.
He gave away weight against Nicholls and height against Jones and gave them a bath. While i remember listening to the 67 Grand FInal i was only 8 years old. The 69 Grand FInal being a couple of years older was a real thrill, thanks for the memories Michael, you were a gun player.

cmarkidis

"GO YOU TIGERS!!"
Nov 22, 2004
tigerman said:
How sweet it was 2 years later when Michael towelled up Nicholls and Percy Jones to be best on gound in the 69 Premiership.

He not playing was probably the difference in 1972.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
tigerman said:
Congratulations to Michael for his life membership.
He probably only got a game in the 67 Grand Final after that dog John Nicholls took a dive in the Second Second Final and then wasn't man enough to to admit it, which caused Neville crowe to get suspended for 4 weeks and miss out on a Premiership.

He gave away weight against Nicholls and height against Jones and gave them a bath. While i remember listening to the 67 Grand FInal i was only 8 years old. The 69 Grand FInal being a couple of years older was a real thrill, thanks for the memories Michael, you were a gun player.

Great post. Big Nic was a flog.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
MB78 said:
Great post. Big Nic was a flog.
One of the biggest dog acts in AFL/VFL history and it remains a major reason for an ongoing hatred of all things Carlton (not that I need many).

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Congratulations to Green.

He was certainly the greatest Tiger ruckman of my lifetime.

Mobile, high marking, long kicking, he was equally adept as ruck, forward or defender.

For me, he is the model Vickery should be aspiring towards, as they have many talent attributes in common.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
Wish I was old enough back then to see this master play.

Congrats Michael Green on your life membership.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Phantom said:
Congratulations to Green.

He was certainly the greatest Tiger ruckman of my lifetime.

Mobile, high marking, long kicking, he was equally adept as ruck, forward or defender.

For me, he is the model Vickery should be aspiring towards, as they have many talent attributes in common.

Never saw him play, but obviously his finals performances are legendary. Why then did he poll relatively poorly in the Brownlow, compared with other Richmond ruckmen?

Votes
per Brownlow
match Player matches Votes
-----------------------------------
0.86 Bill Morris 99 85
0.52 Roy Wright 188 98
0.39 Bob Bawden 39 13
0.39 Jack Dyer 221 86
0.33 Justin Charles 51 17
0.30 Neville Crowe 142 43
0.26 Craig McKellar 81 21
0.25 Mark Lee 228 58
0.24 David Honybun 55 13
0.20 Bert Foster 118 24
0.18 Mike Green 123 22
0.17 Ray Boyanich 59 10
0.15 Brian Roberts 65 10
0.13 Troy Simmonds 93 12
0.12 Greg Stafford 74 9
0.10 Ivan Maric 21 2

billyb#40

Tiger Superstar
Sep 19, 2004
No brownlow votes given in finals

From memory he didn't always play during the season but came into the team for the last part of the season and finals a bit like Ottens at Geelong

Didn't train as much with the team due to his study and work as a lawyer ?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Green played a lot of his early career in the back pocket. In those days a ruck size player played there to play on the resting ruckman.

When he did ruck he had a bit of competition to get noticed for Brownlow votes from players like Bartlett, Hart, Clay, Barrot, Bourke, Stewart etc etc. This guy could play make no mistake, I agree with Phantom that he is the best Tiger ruckman of my lifetime. He would be a top ruckman today as well because he had all the skills and moved very well for a big man.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Never saw him play, but obviously his finals performances are legendary. Why then did he poll relatively poorly in the Brownlow, compared with other Richmond ruckmen?

Probably because he only spent a small portion of his time as first ruckman.
Also, there were so many Tiger stars in that team - Barrott, Bartlett, Bourke, Clay, Hart, etc - it would've been hard getting votes.

Early on, 1967 & 68, he played in the back pocket.
He then moved into the first ruck in 1969, as Mike Patto's tenure was ending.
Retired, initially, in 1971.
Came out of retirement for 1973 & 74, playing as a ruck / fwd then retired again.
Came back a final time for the last few games of the 1975 season then retired permanently.

My noted Green images:
1. 1969 Semi Final v Geelong - he annihilated Sam Newman.
2. 1974 Grand Final - Sheedy's free handball to an open Green in the goal square, for a game lifting goal.
3. 1975 Prelim - Marking in the goal square, playing on and being swamped by Crosswell & Gumbleton.

HeadandShin

Burning bright
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
billyb#40 said:
No brownlow votes given in finals

From memory he didn't always play during the season but came into the team for the last part of the season and finals a bit like Ottens at Geelong

Didn't train as much with the team due to his study and work as a lawyer ?

He now runs Tigers at Law, which is a really good support/fan group, always with interesting speakers.