Minor Premiers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Minor Premiers

Tenacious said:
FWIW I don't even like the term "minor premiers" yet it's starting to be used more commonly.
"Finished on top" says it all as far as I'm concerned.
Minor shminor...I couldn't agree more. I actually thought that it was some *smile* award handed out in SA and WA

ahyeahnah said:
Minor shminor...I couldn't agree more. I actually thought that it was some *smile* award handed out in SA and WA

Worse is when we are referred to as the McLelland Trophy winners. Eddie McGuire says it a lot. Couldn't give a stuff about finishing on top. Means nothing, not even favourable fixturing for finals matches.

BrisTiger24 said:
Worse is when we are referred to as the McLelland Trophy winners. Eddie McGuire says it a lot. Couldn't give a stuff about finishing on top. Means nothing, not even favourable fixturing for finals matches.
I agree that it means nothing. Anyway history will show that we won the ridiculous trophy in about week 17

Is there any money/prize for being minor premier?

Just wondering if anyone knows?

A lazy $100K+ can always be put to work :)

Sir said:

hahahaha as if the AFL would do anything to help us

Sir said:

Minor premier should get pick 9 On top of their other picks. That would be a fitting reward. ;D
At least for this year.
The bottom 8 still get their picks.
That would be a good incentive ;)

Maybe they should give the minor premier first rights over Gold Coast's first draftee when they want to leave after 2 years?

I still don't understand why the McClelland trophy / minor premiership is apparently not much of an honour by some fans but plenty of pundits. To be top of the league at seasons end means you have been consistently good over the whole season and that takes a bit of doing. I know winning the premiership is very special and glad we are the current premiers but to win it you only have to be best on the day and it not being consistent over the year.
That said my expectation is a second successive premier in two weeks

Tigers of Old said:
Nobody remembers minor Premiers.
All it means is you have put yourself in the best possible position, with a top 2 finish, to get a home final and a double chance to win a flag.

Imagine finishing on top and going out in straight sets.
Geelong finished 2nd last year and didn’t make it to the GF.

I guess these stats clearly show that finishing top almost - ALMOST - guarantees a spot in the granny which makes sense to me.

Then the granny becomes an even odds bet to win 50 - 50 which again makes sense as the the best team on the day wins that one.

I will happily take those odds right now ;D as it is clearly one week at a time

In the whole history of the afl / vfl

Only once has both 1st & 2nd place missed the GF

So it’s highly unlikely based on history that Melb will play Coll in the GF in two weeks.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Imagine finishing on top and going out in straight sets.
Geelong finished 2nd last year and didn’t make it to the GF.

It's never happened under the current system.
The last team, under any system, to finish first and not win a final was North Melbourne in 1983.
There was something dodgy about North that year - they lost to Fitzroy by 150 points during the season (34.16 to 10.10) and were flogged in both finals - particularly by Essendon in the Prelim (I was there).

1980 was a unique year - until the Grand Final, every final was won by the lower team on the ladder.
But that was only the case because we inexplicably dropped the last game to South and finished third - we'd been on top from round 7 to 21, won 11 in a row, and there was little doubt we were the best team.

The minor premiership can be a cruel thing in the current system.
The last team to finish first and win the flag was Hawthorn in 2013.
And since then only Sydney (2014 and 2016) and Adelaide (2017) have even made the Grand Final.
Today's result means that the last three minor premiers have all gone out in the Preliminary Final.

Yes, they get a double-chance but in that sense they are no better off than fourth.
The good old final five system not only gave the top team a double-chance in their first final, but if they won it they were in the Grand Final.
Given the restrictions, I'm a fan of the current system but it could do with one or two tweaks.

Port were on top this year from day 1 until the final siren went today at which point I guess they finish third (has that ever happened before?).
That's a bitter pill for anyone to swallow.

Reactions: 1 user
There is very little advantage for finishing top of the ladder but their are obvious disadvantages, in that you have to sustain form all year and then the pressure of one slip up in the PF and you miss out. We know this too well. Clearly finishing 2nd-4th is the smarter goal as great teams can pace themselves for the finals and have pretty much the same advantages as the minor premier. The early 2000's Lions did this, the Hawks followed suit and now the mighty Tiges have perfected it!

Thanks for that 1980 Grand Final score.
Was thinking how we were First a couple of years ago only to lose Prelim.
In modern times it's a bit of a curse to finish on top.

I was reasonably calm last night.
Last week I was a write off.
Really didn't want to lose to a footballing equivalent of a pandemic.
St. Kilda.
A once in a century event.

Congrats boys.
Off to the big dance!