Most memorable match? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Most memorable match?

Tiger_Pride

Tiger Cub
Jul 17, 2006
Gold Coast, Australia
Hi, i don't know if this has been done before but i would like to know what everyone's most memorable match they have been to or seen.

Mine would have to be Richmond vs. Brisbane, Round 9 2005. Was at the game to see Voss give a gem to Nathan Brown to kick the winning goal with 2 minutes left. Went and met the player after too so that was a memory and a half. Pity Brown broke his leg the next week. Maybe Brisbane put a curse on him?

Apart from the obvious Grand Final wins....

1995 semi-final against Essendon...down and out at half-time, what a turnaround, Turner KO'ing O'Donnell and kicking goals, and doing it against the Bombers too...just perfect! 8)

2001...think it was round-17?...against the Bulldogs at the Dome. The first game against the Dogs after the Knights/Libba incident...plus we had to win to give us a good shot at making the finals. Won by 2 points, after being 16 points down in the last quarter.

This season against the Bombers....purely for the last 5 minutes. Bloody tight finish, but to do the Bombers when they thought they had it won....niiiiice! ;D

I'll surely think of some more...

Rex hunt taking a mark and kicking a goal after the siren at Glenferrie oval. Couldn't watch as Rex was a pretty ordinary kick so started to leave the ground. Roar of crowd told us he had actually kicked the goal and won the game

Jimmy Jess taking 3 screamers in the last quater against Hawthorn at the MCG to come from behind to win the game

Brian Taylor taking 5 marks & kicking 5 goals in the 3rd quarter at VFL Park against Collingwood I think

Worst memories were both at VFL park. St Kild beat us when we were 12 goals to their 2 at half time and against Collingwood. Just on 8 goals up at 3 quarter time and they ran all over us to win the game

Tiger_Pride said:
Hi, i don't know if this has been done before but i would like to know what everyone's most memorable match they have been to or seen.

Mine would have to be Richmond vs. Brisbane, Round 9 2005. Was at the game to see Voss give a gem to Nathan Brown to kick the winning goal with 2 minutes left. Went and met the player after too so that was a memory and a half. Pity Brown broke his leg the next week. Maybe Brisbane put a curse on him?

I was also at that game, and have to admit I have not parties so hard for so long. Great night.

But my number 1 is the Semi in 1995 against the Bummers. Will never forget that game.
I just wish there were more like it.

Grand final day 1973, a repeat of Blues vs Tigers of 1972 with the result reversed, and bignick kod in the first quarter.
Revenge for Neville Crowe for the injustice of 1967 when Bignick staged for a free and Nev was suspended for the granny.
And Balme showed lots of heart so it was a wonderful day and then it was repeated in 1974 except against Barassis Roos.
Theres nothing like Premierships.

Round 21 this past season Richo's nine against Essendon, I've been defending Richo to Essendon supporters all my life and it was finally good to see him silence the critics for my sake :hihi.

Either Round 21 last year in our come from behind win over Hawthorn, or 2003 against the Dogs when I saw who I thought was going to be the legend of the game, Marty McGrath, boot 5 goals on debut.

skiptomystu said:
Either Round 21 last year in our come from behind win over Hawthorn, or 2003 against the Dogs when I saw who I thought was going to be the legend of the game, Marty McGrath, boot 5 goals on debut.

Until his career was stopped by a legend of Australia.... " Carlton & United Breweries" :hihi

Round six(Ithink)1982.....mcg.......90,000 people there witnessed the "mothers day massacre"
Roach kicked the longest drop-punt for goal Id seen in my life.......
Wiley,rowlingsand weightman cut loose,lee and raines at their very best........

1980 grand final.....say no more......

Balme sortin out a few blue-scum in the 70,s,as did mcghie,Mal Brown,Sheeds,etc.and the Tiger Purple Cross goes to Fowler for sortin out that maggot John Nichlls..........for what he did to Neville Crowe.........................1995 second semi come-back against the Bombers....(I still get tears welling up over that ONE)

More recently........2005 victory over the Port Power....Im sure hervey Bay heard me yellin and goin abvsolutely nuts....luved Richo,s goal at half time..........

Doin the pussycats like a dinner at skilled stadium this year....pure gold...........

And anytime we do the maGGIES ITS SPECIAL.............. :clap :hihi ;D

nitrotiger said:
Round six(Ithink)1982.....mcg.......90,000 people there witnessed the "mothers day massacre"

are you referring to that big win over Lessendon? If so it was Round 3 I think and Easter Monday I am sure - remember it well because it was my 19th birthday and at that time I used to work Saturdays, so this was a rare chance for me to see the Tiges and see them I did. Also think it was the unveiling of the color scoreboard at the G.

1. David Clokes 300th match, v Carlton in 1990 at the G! The old southern stand's roof was being removed and the cheersquad found itself on the wing, and i remember the new blood, Knights, Barry Young, Nicholls and Lambert all starring, Honeybun taking a few grabs, Michael Mitchell kicking a great goal on the run, Tim Powell running through the lines, Craig Bradley trying to kick matty Knights several times, and the cheer in the crowd when Sticks Kernahan made a blue in the last quarter. He did kick 7 for the day i think. Interestingly, Chris Bond was playing for Carlton that day! What a great game!

2. 1997, last tough suburban battle, Richmond down Carlton to knock em outta the finals! 45 points down! Those 3 goals in a minute in the 3rd quarter are just SO inspiring! If i see that video now, i still jump up and punch the air and contort my face in joy! And the commentators writing us off in the first half! Great win.

3. 1994, Footscray by 2 points at the MCG! We'd just beaten Adelaide the week before, and this was our 5th in a row. 50,000 were there! Naish took a huge mark in the square in the first half, and the match was just played so hard and at a frenetic pace! I was in the Northern Stand which wasn't usual, so my view of this match is quite distinct to other matches!

4. Geelong at Geelong this year (2006). I was down there, as i was the previous year when we went down by a point! We were not expected to win, and as it began dawning on us that hey, they're not gonna catch us, was great! First win i've personally attended down there, but do remember the 1990 match fondly, and still have it on tape! Richmond supporters just care so much more than the Catters. They kind of smiled and conceded the win, happy to make their way home to do something else. There weren't many of us, but geez we made some noise!

5. 1995, West Coast at Princes Park, when i was still a footy ground, not a "mini stadium"! 10 goal win, bit of rain, only 18,000, Richo, Benny Gale out, and others i can't remember. Nathan Bower beating Peter Matera again! He had a knack of doing that (not much else). Loved seeing Brett Heady get angry over the stupidist things, Edwards and Neeld kicked goals, Naish kicking the first from the boundary, and Maxfield kicking a beautiful 50m goal on quite an angle. Beating the reigning premier, humbling them, was great fun!

Other games to rate a mention include:
*Richmond d North Melbourne, Under 19's GF, 1989, at Waverley Park!
*Richmond d Hawthorn, Round 2 Ansett Cup, 1993, Waverley Park!
*Beating Essendon at Windy Hill in 1991, or was it 1992.
*Mothers day Massacre
*Beating Essendon in the last round of 2001, even though it was cheapened by them trouncing us the week later. Still, i remember not quite having a feeling as i did after that match, it was a feeling of, what if...