My Favourite Tiger Team | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

My Favourite Tiger Team

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I started following the tigers in 1979 or so at age 6, and of course realised how wise this was with a premiership the following year. Over the past 35 years it has been a pleasure of sorts, and I recently decided to put together my all-time tiger team of favourite players. My team is short of players from the early years; I simply don't remember much of it, and what I do remember is mostly bad. I feature a good mix from 1990 on though I think, a mix of champions, couldabeens and tryers I suppose - but all guys I really felt connected to and wanted to perform well.
Here it is:

B L Cameron S Turner D Gaspar
HB J Torney A Rance D Kellaway
C S Maxfield P Broderick M Couglan
HF B Deledio M Richardson J Bowden
F N Brown B Gale M Rogers
R M Lee M Knights D Weightman
Res (from) T Free J Charles I Maric
T Nichols M Dragacevic M Merenda D Jackson

Anyway, it isn't really debatable, there isn't logic nor merit involved, though I think all made a contribution to the club in one way or another. Reading back over it, there are many transplants, which I think is a sign of a club going through tough times as much as anything. There are also some great clubmen who stuck at it week-in, week-out when the team was really struggling, and I appreciate that effort. Finally, there is an odd mix between what I love most in footy - great kicks (Cameron, Broderick, Lids, Knights, Rogers) and triers who couldn't always do much with it but did everything they could to win.

I am interested to see how others fare at the same task. What does your all-time favourite Tiger team look like?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Good thread.

I'm about your vintage hutstar.

I'll go with this team of my favourite ever Tiges.

B: F Bourke A.Rance S.Turner
HB: J.Bowden J.Jess B.Deledio
C: G.Raines M.Rioli M.Richardson
HF: K.Bartlett D.Cloke J.Riewoldt
F: N.Brown M.Roach M. Mitchell
R: I.Maric T.Cotchin D.Weightman

IC: M.Knights S.Maxfield B.Ottens R: S.Edwards

Em: J.Schulz T.Free M Coughlan

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Tigers of Old said:
Good thread.

I'm about your vintage hutstar.

I'll go with this team of my favourite ever Tiges.

B: F Bourke A.Rance S.Turner
HB: J.Bowden J.Jess B.Deledio
C: G.Raines M.Rioli M.Richardson
HF: K.Bartlett D.Cloke J.Riewoldt
F: N.Brown M.Roach M. Mitchell
R: I.Maric T.Cotchin D.Weightman

IC: M.Knights S.Maxfield B.Ottens R: S.Edwards

Em: J.Schulz T.Free M Coughlan

Can't believe I forgot Raines Senior. At the time, he was my first Tiger hero. I guess hindsight has soured that.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
hutstar said:
B L Cameron S Turner D Gaspar
HB J Torney A Rance D Kellaway
C S Maxfield P Broderick M Couglan
HF B Deledio M Richardson J Bowden
F N Brown B Gale M Rogers
Res (from) T Free J Charles I Maric
T Nichols M Dragacevic M Merenda D Jackson
Like your concept...have to put my thinking cap on...but would be stretching back from late 60s....
But interested in your thinking on two players...fir different reasons... Trent Nichols in that in his two stints at Punt Td I don't think he ever reached any great heights, I know not your criteria but a lot of casual fans would struggle to recall him (he worked where I did after he came across to us from Tassie?), and the other is Matt Rogers....just thought the vast majority of his career he rarely justified a spot.
Max field .. One of the greatest losses in my time, proved his value in Sydney, and Free a loss as his career was cut short by injury.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
B. L Cameron S Turner A Kellaway
HB J Bowden A Rance B Deledio
C W Campbell M Couglan M Richardson
HF M Pickering B Gale N Daffy
F J Hogg M Roach Shane Edwards
IC D Martin, T Cotchin, M Rogers sub M White

Em J Pickering, S Ryan, Stuart Edwards

I thought the three above would be guns for us. They all started off with a bang.

MB78

Sep 8, 2009
I expect Lamb and Leysy will have Collins in their team.

Also Carter will be able to name McBean every week.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
22nd Man said:
Like your concept...have to put my thinking cap on...but would be stretching back from late 60s....
But interested in your thinking on two players...fir different reasons... Trent Nichols in that in his two stints at Punt Td I don't think he ever reached any great heights, I know not your criteria but a lot of casual fans would struggle to recall him (he worked where I did after he came across to us from Tassie?), and the other is Matt Rogers....just thought the vast majority of his career he rarely justified a spot.
Max field .. One of the greatest losses in my time, proved his value in Sydney, and Free a loss as his career was cut short by injury.
Nichols - I was just a kiddie playing in the pockets myself, I guess his style appealed...
Rogers - about the same I think. Partial to the flanker kicking goals, or at least I was when such a role existed without a midfield also requirement.

To be honest, I tried not to think about it too much. I am sure there are 5 or 6 players on the list (including these two) that I could be talked out of.
No Raines, No Roach, already regret those two mistakes. Maybe I will have another go in a few months.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Imo Jaaack Riewoldt is a bit stiff not to get a Guernsey, would be pretty handy coming off the bench.
I'm one of the lucky ones who saw our great sides of the 60s and beyond & to be perfectly honest I would find it almost impossible to pick a "best team"
My next door neighbour, a mate of his & myself tried to select the best teams from the 1960s on, for Carlton, North & the Tigers respectively. It's staggering to see the quality of players who missed out.

MB78

Sep 8, 2009
TT33 said:
Imo Jaaack Riewoldt is a bit stiff not to get a Guernsey, would be pretty handy coming off the bench.
I'm one of the lucky ones who saw our great sides of the 60s and beyond & to be perfectly honest I would find it almost impossible to pick a "best team"
My next door neighbour, a mate of his & myself tried to select the best teams from the 1960s on, for Carlton, North & the Tigers respectively. It's staggering to see the quality of players who missed out.

I think the point of this was to list who your favourites have been over the years. I put a few battlers in my team who I loved.

As for the best team, Jack would be in mine. All Tassie boys as my key position forwards, and I was too young for Hart.