My review of the Tiger 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

My review of the Tiger 22

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
It was an interesting game with lots of loose checking which we would have without doubt lost last year, but I take some real satisfaction out of the fact that we are winning the ugly ones.

Stafford was without doubt IMO BOG! He had a great game and was a real handful up forward. :D

Richardson had the best game I've seen him play this year! He has become very team oriented and anything close to a marking opportunity was grabbed. Also his set shots were much improved on past performances this year. :D

Tivendale had a solid game, gave us plenty of drive forward when needed but was a little inconsistent at times on the night

Flemming sure has ticker but his disposal and decision making needs to improve. Look for better next week as we'll need plenty of runners at Subiaco.

Pettifer kicked a vital goal but looked like a frightened school kid when he was in that tussle with I think it was Ward. Needs to toughen up and go harder at the ball. Needs a spell at coburg

Cameron like Tivendale gave us plenty of drive and crumbed some excellent goals. Another solid effort and led by experience.

Rogers performed his task well on the night by keeping Yze out of the game but his disposal at the moment really needs improving.

King had limited opportunities on the night but was always there trying to get the ball.

Bowden had a better game than last week and his disposal improved but I still feel he has more class in him than he's providing at the moment. Needs to be more consistent but a pretty good effort on the night.

Biddiscombe looked lost out there. Down on last weeks performance and looked really shaky out there. He needs to receive the ball in space to be effective as he is not the best in close contests.

Coughlan had a solid game and got plenty of the ball but was a little down on previous performances and his disposal was a little bit sloppy. He was closesly tagged all night which could explain this. He looks better when Campbo's on the field.

Johnson played well and got the ball at important moments of the game. A bit down on his usual posession rate but was still influential.

Gaspar played really well on Neitz restricting him to just 6 posessions. Pretty good considering how often Melbourne went to him.

Hilton had a below average game. Couldn't keep his feet and looked frustrated. I know he can do much better but needs a spell at Coburg to sort things out.

Fiora played pretty well with limmited opportunities but still needs to improve his decision making. Needs to think a couple of moves ahead instead of taking off and then not knowing where his options are.

Kellaway was not up to his previous good performances and had a couple of brain explosions at vital moments but still was solid.

Vardy contested well without being fantastic. Despite being undersized he still got plent of tap outs with a good leap.

Zantuck had his best game so far this year. Was hard at it, got plenty of posessions and his disposal on the night was very good. :D

Rodan was a bit quiet but kicked a good crumbing goal and was always thereabouts. Not his usual flashy self but the game didn't allow that type of play anyway.

Krakouer was very quiet compared to last weeks performance but He was closely marked and did a couple of things in the game that showed a lot of guts.
Attitude was right but the opportunities weren't there.

Chaffey had his usual solid game. Was a step ladder on a couple of occasions but that sometimes happens when you're courageous enough to back into packs like he does.

Last but not least,

Newman had a great game and was cool in pressure situations. Is improving and the most impressive thing is he's adapting to different playing conditions and not sticking to one style of play. :D

Look out Wealges! We will improve and Campbo will hopefully be back to steer the ship! :D

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Shawry, I would have to agree with you and I admit I was probably a little harsh on Andy as He did play very well for most of the night. The reason why at the time of writing my review I didn't give him a glowing report was because I still had that incident in my mind where he looked really indecisive, was called to play on, dumped Vardy in it my giving him a sloppy handball which put him under pressure and caused a turnover which I think resulted in a goal for the opposition.
But in the clear light of day I should have given him a better review :)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I love your weekly analysis tiga. Good to read how others see each player.

I agree with shawry on AK. He got caught out once early on and Melb scored a goal, but he saved plenty for the rest of the night. Opponents must shudder when they see Andy line up on them. They know they won't get an easy posession all night. I was very close to giving him a vote, along with Gas. Opted for Chaff out fo the three, but they could all have been worthy imo.

Agree on Pettifer. I think although he got a lot of the ball the week before it only went to show he's not up to standard. Then with 4 touches a game for a season he could hardly be expected to be spot on with his disposal anyway. I am perplexed why the coaching panel don't send him back to Coburg to get some touch.

It was great that when our matchwinners of previous weeks were a bit down others stood up.

This is the sign of a top team to me. It's good to have plenty of options and be a bit unpredictable.

I like the way Richo played, love seeing him run instead of play a traditional CHF role. He's pretty hard for anyone to play on that way, he can't really be double tagged, and the players can't just bomb it to the one spot to him as they have tended to do int he past.

Cogs copped a fairly solid smack in the chops early on too. I bet Johnno and Cogs will welcome the return of Campbo. They can't tag all of them.

A good sign we could win with a few players down, like it's good we've won without a full list so far too.

Can't wait to see our best 22 on the ground, and all in top form on a given day.

I hope that day is the last Sat in September because I think our list has the scope to be as good as any other team out there.

Go Tiges.

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Well put Rosy. Having a few stars out has given the opportunity to some of the younger guys and fringe players to stand up and be counted which they have done and is great to see. A guy by the name of Newman immediately comes to mind! :) He's getting better with every game!

But what it has also exposed is some of the dead wood in the club. Those guys who have had a golden opportunity to show what they are made of and have chosen not to do so.
We all know who they are and their names have been the topic of many a conversation on this forum.
I just hope the selection panel choose to do something about this soon.
At the moment most of our bench players are only getting about 20-30mins average game time.
This is due to the fact that 18 of the 22 are doing their job well at the moment. What the club should do is give guys like *smile* and Mcgrath a run on the bench and for a few weeks give them 10 to 20 mins gametime and see how they go. The only problem I could see with this scenario is if we had a couple of serious injuries during a game which may force more gametime than is recommended for these guys at this stage in their careers. But then again, they might actually show us what they really are capable of.

In short, while we are playing well and winning, give some of the young guys a bit of a taste of that winning feeling and send some of the dead wood back to the Burg!

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
To be fair to Pettifer he did only play 31 minutes and if you equate that to a full game he has 16 possessions. not staring but again it isnt easy coming off the bench. He did kick a vital goal too (although very close to being touched) adn i think (in my opinion) he should still be stuck with. He will find it tough when we haev a full squad to choose from though.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
shawry said:
To be fair to Pettifer he did only play 31 minutes and if you equate that to a full game he has 16 possessions.

:rollin......I don't think it works that way shawry. Might as well say if the team plan is kick it to Kayne he'd get 30 posessions each week. ;D

If he was capable of getting those posessions he would have been on the ground. He's only ever done it once.
They have shown Kayne's ground time in telly recently. From memory one was shown late 3rd quarter and he had been on the ground over 60 mins, and had 3-4 posessions. There was another similar one.

Quoting game time is a red herring to hide the fact he's done very little when the opportunity was there.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I do agree with that that it doesnt work that way, but as i said it is a lot harder coming off the bench than starting on the ground. He'll be ok.

Rory Hilton is one bloke i am really questioning. Seems to do nothign and never hit targets. I think he needs to get his act together or like last year he wil lget dropped again.

I would question Fiora but again i think eh is not getting a lot of game time either and playing a lot off the bench adn showed a bit of dash the other night.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Totally agree with tiga and shawry about Rory. He seems to have escaped much attention, but his form in recent weeks is not what it could be. When he first came to the Club I thought he was going to make a real impact, but it seems he's destined to become one of those players who makes up the numbers. His attitude and application don't help his cause, imo.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
I generally agree with the analyses given above (I thought A Kella was a little stiff but then his blue was pretty sensational)

The big news of the season for me is:

a. The obvious and much discussed development of Cogs.

b. The not so obvious or quite as discussed emergence of Newman.

c. The not discussed at all return of Leon Cameron.

Just the P (or is that VP - ah well) of the Leon Cameron club I think its timely to remember that at the end of last year we were openly discussing his axing saying he'd lost his pace, his vision and his delivery. Suddenly we arent talking about him at all because while he's not setting the world on fire (he never has) he's back to getting the job done and we are winning.

However, the downside is probably Rory Hilton. I suspect he has all the bits and pieces of a top shelf player but not the drive to put it all together. Interestingly I'd think that Hilton would be a "better" player than Chaffey in just about every respect (except marking) and yet Chaff is way more valuable to us. Rory (and Fiora and maybe Pettifer) has never found the drive to match his talent and I wonder if time is running out.

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
One Courageous defensive punch in the backline does not maketh a champion.

Sorry Hilts, back to the Burg for a spell and hope you come back with renewed focus and enthusiasm!

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
PMac, Leon has been great this year. Last year I always thought that he was carrying an injury as he looked terrible all year.

As it turned out he was injured. Now fit again, he is showing what a great player he is. I would like to see him get some ground time, as I reckon we are a much better team with him out their.

His other value to the team is that he is always into the young guys, encouraging, giving them a pat on the bum when things don't go their way etc.. Leon would have to go down as one of the best ever recycled recruits.