MY WEEK | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MY WEEK

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
My week with the Tigers
Lill Priest
richmondfc.com.au
10:07:29 AM Thu 29 May, 2003

It was a dream come true for devoted Richmond fan Lill Priest when she recently spent a whole week within the inner sanctum at Tigerland. Here's Lill's entertaining account of her time with the Tigers . . .

Have you ever sat at the football and watched an errant kick or handball result in a turnover, then either glared or cursed at the coaches box thinking, what have you blokes being doing? Come on, admit it – we all have!

That’s why when Lot 31 at the Club’s recent Carlton Draught Auction came up for bidding, I realised an extra special opportunity presented itself. I was fortunate enough to be the successful bidder and this is the story of “My week in the inner sanctum”.

My week started on Monday, May 12, 2003 -- two days after our great Round 7 win against the Bombers. I was asked to be at the Club by 10.30am and, upon arrival, I was greeted by Ros Heal, whose official title is Football Operations Co-ordinator but, as I would learn as my week progressed, that encompasses only part of her role.

After meeting Ros, I was introduced to a couple of “heavyweights” in Greg Miller and Greg Hutchison. Both welcomed me to the Club and thanked me for my support. After a brief chat about membership and the match against Essendon, it was straight outside to watch the team train. Monday’s session was fun, relatively light and seemed to focus on ensuring players “ran out” the general soreness from the previous game.

When training was over, Greg Miller introduced me to our senior coach, Danny Frawley, who said, “I’ll see you at match review”. Just before match review I was introduced to the Club's current Player Development Officer, Dale Weightman. Now I will confess in my younger years, (read teenage) I was a huge 'Flea' fan and proudly displayed his name on my old duffle coat. So to meet Flea was a true honor.

Dale took me up to the “Graeme Richmond” room for match review. It was in the “GR” room that 'Hutchy' officially introduced me to the players -- and then it was on with business. The coaches present to the players an extremely thorough review of the previous weekend’s match. Using a Power Point presentation and then a video, the players are shown “plays” from the game that highlight the team rules and structures that were successful, and also those that could have been done better. Credit must be given to the Football Department’s IT people who work long into Sunday evening to have the match review and other videos ready by Monday morning. At the completion of match review, club captain, Wayne Campbell, came over and introduced himself to me. This was not something I expected, but I am extremely grateful to 'Cambo' for taking time out to do it.

Tuesday is an early start for the players, but despite my good intentions (and a pesky truck on the West Gate Bridge!) it wasn’t for me. Tuesday morning begins with weights in the gym, followed by skills out on Punt Road Oval. While the players were going through their skills session, I chatted with Noel Duncan, the Club’s Fitness Program Co-ordinator. A key part of his job is to co-ordinate and supervise the training programs for individual players, especially those in rehab. Also, for those players who pull up a bit sore from the weekend’s game, Noel has the job to get them up and ready for the next game by modifying their program for the week.

After the skills session, assistant coach, Darren Crocker, invited me to sit in on a couple of individual player video reviews. Thanks to the wonderful world of computers, every player receives a video of their individual performance from the game. At the completion of the two individual player reviews I sat in on, (thanks again Darren, Tim and Marty), I watched the players go through a concentrated exercise session in the gym called range of movement.

Wednesday is what I termed “my big day”. One of the reasons for this is that Wednesday’s training session is usually the main one of the week at the Club. My Wednesday started with lunch with the coaches, the two Gregs (Hutchison and Miller) and Ros at the footy department’s local haunt in Swan Street. From lunch, it was back to Punt Road in preparation for training at the MCG.

It was interesting to watch the players go through their different routines. While nearly all do some form of stretching exercises in the gym to loosen up, some do extra, whether it be a light jog around Punt Road or some boxing.

From about 2.15pm onwards, the players made their way over the 'G'. Hutchy popped his head into Ros’ office and said, “Lill, let’s go”, and with that we were off to the MCG. Fortunately for me, it was leisurely stroll rather than the run over that some of the players did.

The training session, which went for over an hour, was intense and the part that stood out the most to me was the vocalising of the players, not just the designated team leaders, but all players. It was especially evident during the close body-on-body tackling drills. Training concluded at the MCG after some goalkicking practice.

Back at Punt Road, the players went through their “warm-downs” and then it was upstairs to the GR room for “Opposition Analysis”. Dave Wheadon is the Club's full-time opposition analyst. I have read many reports and heard many commentators over the years that say Dave is the best in the business in this type of role. Having been privileged to sit in on one of his sessions, I can vouch for that. Dave's presentation and knowledge of the Tigers' upcoming opposition covers everything. His attention to detail is phenomenal -- from statistics to examples on video, Dave leaves no stone unturned in his job of making sure the players know exactly what to expect from the opposition each week.

Thursday is the players' day off and it was mine as well.

Friday, and the final training session before our match against the Demons. This session was relatively short and sharp. A few laps of the oval for most, followed by handball drills, kicking, tackling and some of what I call simulated match practice -- running the ball from one end of the oval to the other.

At the completion of this session the players selected to play for the weekend’s game are required to attend the team meeting. It is at this meeting you get an even greater insight into the preparation the coaches put into each game. The coaches go over the team’s structure and rules, reinforce Dave Wheadon’s key points of opposition analysis and then reinforce the tactics that we need to adhere to firstly, to enable us to shut down the opposition and, finally, help the team to win.

Saturday . . . and I have access to the rooms before the game. Unlike a lot of people who come into the rooms before the game, I am actually up close to the players, and I am sitting with some of the injured boys.

The players return to the change-rooms after the warm-up outside. The level of intensity is something I have never witnessed before. Every player is pumped. They are all encouraging each other, yelling the team rules that were spoken of at Friday’s team meeting. Danny calls them into one final meeting before they take the field. The players come out of that meeting even more fired up!

'Gas' leads the team out onto the MCG and through the cheer squad's banner. I follow the team down the race. Although I don’t actually set foot onto the MCG, just to be able to see the crowd from that area is amazing. I take my seat and watch the game from a totally different perspective. The way Melbourne plays is just the way Dave Wheadon said it would be. I watch the Tigers very closely, think of that team meeting and look out for the plays that work and those that don’t.

In the end my week is made complete as we stage a stirring last-quarter fightback to register our sixth win of the season. When the final siren sounds, I look at the coaches’ box and think to myself, “Well done guys -- all that preparation got us home tonight”.

Thanks to Greg Miller, Greg Hutchison, Danny, Darren, Wayne, Paul, Cambo and all the players, Flea and, especially Ros, for making me feel so much a part of our great Club.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Sensational stuff KL. Worth every cent by the sounds of it! Well done - really appreciate hearing about it.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Great stuff KL. Thanks for sharing your week with us.

Your article is written with such passion it almost feels like we were there too.

I guess for all our comments and opinions on here what we see on the playing field is really only the tip of the iceberg compared to what goes on behind the scenes.

It's great to read a bit about it from a laylady's point of view. Good onya KL. :D

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Thanks for the review KL. Half your luck, but I think I'd feel totally out of place doing something like that.

So well done and sounds like it was well worth the effort and money spent.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Thanks everyone for you kind words. I have wanted to tell you all about it since last week.I was asked by Greg & Hutchy to write a report for them for use of the official web-site first. I gave them my word - so I hope everyone understands.

Worth every cent - you betcha. In hindsight I would have paid more to be honest. It was unforgetable.

So do I have anything extra for my PRE family. Yes.

Firstly, on Wayne Campbell. JohnF will love this. I have a new found respect for Cambo - he was sensational. You could have knocked me over with a feather when he came over introduced himself. So unexpected - but so professional - I will not hear a bad word about Cambo!

I met a couple of other legends during my week.

Brodders - what an absolutely great bloke. He is revered at Tigerland for a reason. Players would walk over broken glass for Paul Broderick. As Crock told me the professionally he bought to the Tiges and the professional mark he left is priceless. All players try to follow the work ethic he left at the Club.

Tom Hafey - Tommy was at the Club for the launch of the Coterie - he was in the gym taking a break and I just went up to him and introduced myself. He shook my hand tapped my shoulder and said "great to meet you mate". I went weak at the knees to be honest.

The individual player reveiw sessions are amazng. One on one with a coach going through every move a players makes on the field is an eye opener. Tim Flemming was great in this regard - he and Darren Crocker really made feel part of it. Tim even asked me a for opinion on something he did - wow!

As for our Coaches - the amount of work they put in every week is unbelievable. The take nothing for granted and plan methodically for each game. As I said I watched the game from a completely different perspective against Melbourne and against the Weagles.

If people have questions fire away and I'll answer what I can.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
KL - can you remember much of the details of David Wheadon's analysis of Melbourne? Would love to know more about that...

T

tiga chikk

Im not normally the jealous type but currently im green with envy.

Must have been a blast KL sounds like you had a really good time

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Dean3 said:
KL - can you remember much of the details of David Wheadon's analysis of Melbourne? Would love to know more about that...

Can help you there Dean. But if it is OK It'll have to wait until tonight because I have crisis here at work (how inconsiderate my employers are ;D).

Besides I need to refer to my Opposition analysis booklet ;)

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Top stuff KL and what a great read. What an amazing experience you had. Thanks for sharing it with us :). The club definitely appears to be moving in the one direction.

Out of interest, what did they say about Kayne's performances?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Koalalill said:
It'll have to wait until tonight because I have crisis here at work (how inconsiderate my employers are ;D).

Haha I bet they're busy popping champagne corks in celebration of the new found celebrity in their midst. ;D

Ignore this if it would be considered confidential info KL, but I'm interested to know what the club expected of players like Kingy and Rogo.

For all the bagging they get on here for lack of posessions etc, I can't help but feel the club would send that kind of player out with a job to do that probably wouldn't register too highly on the stats sheets anyway.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Koalalill,

can you tell us anything about Spud's final speech before the players went out? How do you rate him as an orator in that situation? We often hear him bagged for not being overly good at tactical stuff - what was your impression?

Cheers!

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Tigerblood said:
Koalalill,

can you tell us anything about Spud's final speech before the players went out? How do you rate him as an orator in that situation? We often hear him bagged for not being overly good at tactical stuff - what was your impression?

Cheers!

TB,

I wasn't in the final meeting prior to them running out on the ground - I was talking to Hutchy ;D

But in Monda' & Friday meetings Spud spoke very well. His messages are clear and concise. On the Friday he really stressed the importance of the 1%. He made the point that when we stick to our game plan then we dictate the game rather than the opposition dictating to us.

Regarding tactics it is interesting. Danny gives the broad overview and then each of the assistants give a more in depth presentation of them. Eg Paul Spargo speaks at length about the back and what have to do and kick ins etc. Once they are finish it is back to Danny and he then concentrated on individual players and what they had to do and then a final run down of the team plan. This meeting goes for about 45-60 minutes

One thing I will say about Danny - the players respect him. I think in the past (eg Geischen) the players may not have had the respect for the Coach. But when Danny walks into the room they all shut up and listen

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
mightytiges said:
Out of interest, what did they say about Kayne's performances?

Firstly, I didn't sit in on Kayne's player review. And I certainly didn't ask about Kayne's performances.

But as an overveiw during the match review video review some clangers were hightlighted and it is pointed out to the players what they have done wrong or how they could have improved their efforts. Also the players are given the option to make comments and give their view on those situations.

Rodan#18

Fijian thunderbolt
Jan 19, 2003
WOW :D :D

what an awesome experience...did they invite you into the coaches box for the game Lill ? Something I'd love to experience. Although I think I'd also get asked to leave before quarter time. :-\

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Fantastic report KL. Sensational.

I'm interested in your thoughts and impressions on Bowden if any. Does he look interested? Does he train with the same intensity as others, does he do anything different etc.

tiggytam

Welcome to Tigerland
May 1, 2003
Melbourne
I like everyone else am green with envy KL, read your report on the website only interesting thing they have had on there for months :p

I have trouble with computer access these days so I can't come in here everynight like I used to :'( But I made an effort tonight, so thanks once again KL

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
On with my posts:

Dean3 - Opposition Analysis.

In preparation Dave watches all our opposition usually over a 3 week period. So up until the Melbourne game he has watched them the previous 3 weeks. This includes any interstate travel.

Dave Wheadon's analysis unbelievable. What he does is highlight key facts about the opposition. Data, that is the competitions statistics are available to all league clubs. Dave uses this along with what he picks up from watching actual games to create his presentation.

So going into the Melbourne game, for example, he highlighted that Melbourne was No.1 in contested marks on the competition. He then breaks up his analysis into the opposition's Back 50, midfield and Forward 50. He also focuses on the players that are the opposition's playermakers. So in Melbournes case - Neitz, Yze, Heffernan were spoken of at length. He then uses videos to highlight the points he makes in weekly booklet that all players get. So without breaking any confidences - Heffernan gets most of his possessions from handballs received rather than going "in and under"

Hopefully, that gives you an idea Dean.