NBN FTTP Upgrades from now to 2025 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

NBN FTTP Upgrades from now to 2025

Bones17

Tiger Rookie
Jul 11, 2010
The Pines
The link below is a list of the Suburbs and Towns getting FTTP connection upgrades.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Damn, sh!!tty NBN for me until at least 2025.

The Luddite Abbott government shackled us with this 100th rate mess which now has to be fixed at great expense, what a mess.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I've never paid much attention to this. Checking it out I currently have HFC and suburb I'm in doesn't even appear on the list.

So it uses the foxtel connection cable. (I don't have foxtel). I'd imagine prioritizing HFC near the bottom to upgrade to FTTP since apparently it performs similarly to FTTP anyways but is dependent on how many people using the HFC.

But to David's point yeah it seems we penny pinched on NBN infrastructure so all the other "grant" programs could be funded.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
So it uses the foxtel connection cable. (I don't have foxtel). I'd imagine prioritizing HFC near the bottom to upgrade to FTTP since apparently it performs similarly to FTTP anyways but is dependent on how many people using the HFC.

Yeah, not sure about that. HFC maxes out at 1gb/s and that's in near perfect conditions. You'd be lucky to get near 500mb/s on HFC in a residential environment.

My FTTP is currently running at 2gb/s. I can upgrade to 10gb/s but it would mean replacing my home hardware which doesn't make too much sense at the moment.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Yeah, not sure about that. HFC maxes out at 1gb/s and that's in near perfect conditions. You'd be lucky to get near 500mb/s on HFC in a residential environment.

My FTTP is currently running at 2gb/s. I can upgrade to 10gb/s but it would mean replacing my home hardware which doesn't make too much sense at the moment.
Sure I guess for private use not an issue. For a business can see how its an issue.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

We have HFC, it drops out and it is not quick at all.

HFC is basically coax from the node to the premises.

Hmm, coax, coaxial cable, that would be . . . 19th century technology.

Pathetic really.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We have HFC too, not really all that flash. But it is better than all copper.

To be fair, copper was simply amazing. The telephone network in this country, built by us when it was publicly owned, was set up before the internet had been thought of. Yet we managed to squeeze out internet connections for years on a network not built for it. The copper network was a great piece of infrastructure building and it served us well for such a long time.

It was clear, however, that the copper network could not handle anywhere near the sort of traffic which was about to hit it.

The solution was to replace it with a similarly far sighted piece of infrastructure, a network which would serve us into the future and which we could build on as needed. Unfortunately the narrow minded, tech ignorant neo-cons in the Liberal and National parties decided we didn't need a decent network. So, now we are all going to have to pay for the mess they created.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
To be fair, copper was simply amazing. The telephone network in this country, built by us when it was publicly owned, was set up before the internet had been thought of. Yet we managed to squeeze out internet connections for years on a network not built for it. The copper network was a great piece of infrastructure building and it served us well for such a long time.

It was clear, however, that the copper network could not handle anywhere near the sort of traffic which was about to hit it.

The solution was to replace it with a similarly far sighted piece of infrastructure, a network which would serve us into the future and which we could build on as needed. Unfortunately the narrow minded, tech ignorant neo-cons in the Liberal and National parties decided we didn't need a decent network. So, now we are all going to have to pay for the mess they created.

DS

And pay big time for it.

• Sad

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
So my nbn went out yesterday morning. Still have no idea when it’s coming back.

So I’ve cracked out the 2017 GF. Halfway through the third.

We are looking a good chance. All over them.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
10gb price where I am keeps dropping. I think I need to sign up.

That's the beauty of proper FTTH, what the Aussie NBN was meant to be. The transmission speeds are dependant on the equipment at either end of the fibre and as technology progresses, the bandwidth available on the fibre will get bigger. No need to touch the cables for a long long time.

But the Abbot Turnbull Butchered NBN will need continuous infra upgrades until they finally rollout FTTH. All because Murdoch wanted to protect his cable network.