Negative Game Plan Exposed | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Negative Game Plan Exposed

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Smart bags 'scrappy' Vics
July 8, 2003

ADELAIDE defender Nigel Smart says the scrappy, negative football played by some of Victoria's AFL clubs makes him relish the prospect of playing Essendon on Friday night.

Smart - looking forward to the Bombers.

The Crows have played six of the league's bottom seven sides, all Victorian clubs, over the past six rounds and Smart said Adelaide had been dragged into unattractive slogs, rather than being able to display skill and flair.

He said Saturday night's low-scoring 28-point win over Richmond, in which the Tigers managed just six goals, was a prime example.

"Probably the last month you're playing sides that there's a bit of uncertainty about their performance, their backs are to the wall every week, whether it's a Melbourne or a Carlton," Smart told reporters.

"I suppose when you're playing these sides there's always a fear factor that you're going to be drawn down to a pretty scrappy game and it's a toss of the coin who wins at the end of the day.

"Richmond was a fair example, if things went Richmond's way the game could have been slightly different.

"It will be nice to play a side like Essendon, who really back themselves in, because I think the game will open up then and both sides will have a really good shoot-out.

"I'm hoping it is a shoot-out, because they're the good games to play in as a player, because there's plenty of opportunity for the high grabs and the skills of the game to really come out."

The Bombers moved into top form with a 76-point win over St Kilda last Friday night, with Matthew Lloyd kicking eight goals, and skipper James Hird also starring.

Smart said the Crows had plenty of options to cover Lloyd, including himself, Nathan Bassett and Ben Hart.

But he said that if Lloyd was at his best he was still nearly impossible to keep quiet.

"When you're playing on great full forwards, it all comes down to the day, things might go your way or they might not," he said.

"He's going to lead hard, he's got great hands, he's a terrific kick and every time he gets a shot at goal he usually slots it through, he doesn't get too many points (behinds).

"He is a great player, he kicked 8.2 in his last game, there's not too many players going around that are doing that."

But Smart said the one area where Adelaide had an edge was the midfield.

"If our midfield's playing well, I think our midfield can beat Essendon's midfield and usually that's where the game's won or lost,"

Hey DIGGLER, LAFF, HARRY and FUD someone else out there has noticed to. maybe now they will take notice after all now it has been written in the Media it must be true.

You didn't orchestrate this did you SHAWRY

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I do agree totally with Smart though Gustiger, it is a *smile* ineffective style of football and tells the opposition you dont back yourselves and dont think you can win. I did read that and hope the coaching staff do read that or at least get rid of the useless tactic anyway.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
It's not necessarily the scrappiness of the game that bothers me. Some of the best games of footy are the tight hotly contested low scoring ones. However in our case these negative tactics are our plan A every single week even against the poorer sides. Worse still we persist with these "tactics" (lol) even though they fail time and time again. It's the stupidity and senselessness of it all that really ticks you off. A "plan" that gives you no chance of winning.
Good Richmond sides were reknowned for playing attractive footy not just winning games. Kicking less than 10 goals a match makes us boring to watch and IMO it's sadly reflected in our membership numbers :(.

SkiddyMcGhee

Us and Them, Over and Over again
Jan 29, 2003
Sandringham, Melbourne
Its a complete photocopy of the style of play that Danny-boy indured during his stint at *smile* Kilda.

A team realises that they are not good enough to beat a better team, so they try to minmise the damage. Looking at the last 2 games, taking Bris and Adel to @ 30 - 40 points at their home ground seems pretty good, but it just masks an indemic problem.

[flash=200,200][/flash]

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
30 points doesn't sound to bad in isolation, but when you look at our scoreline it is deplorable.

In the words of a once great General:

"You can't win a battle if you aren't prepared to attack."