New AVG free anti-virus version released | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New AVG free anti-virus version released

dcstar

Once sane, always Richmond......
Nov 5, 2003
Melbourne
AVG V6 will soon be dead, they've released the free version of V7:

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

I recommend NOT using it, last time i had AVG installed it changed a lot of my computer settings, and basically *smile* up all my internet settings.

So unless you had a good understanding of computers, don't use this program.

And don't use Mcafee either, it's just as bad.

Listen, The only Anti-virus software u should ever use is "norton"....ok

Get "Norton Systemworks" it's a anti-virus, a firewall, recovers lost files & does a lot of other things.
It's very easy to use & u can update it every fortnight.

>>Mr._LaNcEr_EvO_8<< said:
Listen, The only Anti-virus software u should ever use is "norton"....ok

Get "Norton Systemworks" it's a anti-virus, a firewall, recovers lost files & does a lot of other things.
It's very easy to use & u can update it every fortnight.

Hate to burst your bubble there Mr Lancer dude. Nortons isn't bad, but unfortunately it is very resource intensive on most pc's, and unless you are running at least 1GB of RAM, it can slow your pc down dramatically. I have found BitDefender to be a much better alternative. For all that System Works claims to do, it ain't that great, IMHO. There are better progs out there, both individually and available as suite programs, that will leave Nortons standing cold. Just MHO tho' ;D

We are trying Kapersky 2006 prototype, seems pretty good so far.

No conflicts like Nortons, touch wood

I have been using Trend Micro PC Cillin - no complaints but its up for renewal and I'm sick of forking money out for computer stuff - in the last month or 2 I've had to buy a spyware programme, a registry cleaner, and now it looks like I may have to pay for anti-virus update. I'm seriously thinking about the AVG freebie but would like to read some more comments about it, and perhaps other cost-efficient suggestions. My laptop is my 'baby' so I need to be careful.
The wisdom of PRE techies is greatly anticipated and much appreciated.

I've been using Norton Pro 2004 since it was released but did an online scan the other day which I do every month or so as a backup (Trend Micro http://housecall.trendmicro.com using the 'beta' 6.0) and found a number of viruses and a keylog trojan. I update my antivirus weekly so was pretty disappointed with this result so decided to try AVG in conjunction with the XP firewall. Easy to load and a much smaller footprint than Norton. I'll see how we go over the next few weeks and report back. I may be forced to go to some of those 'naughty' sites to give it (antivirus) a good workout.

I've been using AVG for a few weeks on 2 home computers and both seem to be functioning very well. The live updates seem to be working fine. Haven't picked up any troubles at all. Touch wood!

I'm currently running AVG Anti Virus and the Beta Version of their Firewall. Both outperforming Nortons and Bit Defender, which I have previously used. Strange that a free version of softare could outperfom the others. ???

I used to pay approx $100 a year for Command anti-virus and had problems with viruses, even having to reformat my computer. Before that I had a power of problems with Norton..mainly due to a gliche they had with computers that had previously had a trial version. I've used the AGV free version for maybe 6 months or more now and have not had one virus.

Nearly a month now running AVG Anti Virus and Firewall.

Verdict: For a free product, it craps all over Nortons, and any other product I have tried.

Can't argue against that!

Go Toigs! said:
I have been using Trend Micro PC Cillin - no complaints but its up for renewal and I'm sick of forking money out for computer stuff - in the last month or 2 I've had to buy a spyware programme, a registry cleaner, and now it looks like I may have to pay for anti-virus update. I'm seriously thinking about the AVG freebie but would like to read some more comments about it, and perhaps other cost-efficient suggestions. My laptop is my 'baby' so I need to be careful.
The wisdom of PRE techies is greatly anticipated and much appreciated.
Ditto same here, forked out a few $$ over the last couple of years.. it's all just a money making scam, we've tried Norton etc with no success, install Trend Micro & no prob [ I'II just rush off & touch wood! ] 'Go Tiges ' :emblem :thumbsup

Well, after nearly 5 months running AVG, I have no complaints and actually recommend it to clients. I am running the free version of Zone Alarm Firewall as well and no probs there either. Both are free and work as well if not better than the products I used to pay for...

'nuff said.. :)

The two best anti-virus programs are Kapersky Anti-virus and Panda Internet Security.

AVI is okay for people who are hard for money. But it's not a very good virus program.

Nortons is good, but does use alot of resources and can slow PC's down.

With any virus or internet security program, it is important to download the updates on a regular basis.

I am not a rapt for AVI, if it was all that good, they'd be selling it and making money.

nwonash said:
The two best anti-virus programs are Kapersky Anti-virus and Panda Internet Security.

AVI is okay for people who are hard for money.  But it's not a very good virus program.

With any virus or internet security program, it is important to download the updates on a regular basis.

I am not a rapt for AVI, if it was all that good, they'd be selling it and making money.

They do sell anti-virus's, just with the free one it is only for home use and has no support.

AVG Professional Edition comes complete with all the help you could possibly need.

Extensive context-sensitive help.
Comprehensive online-help at our website
Search our technical FAQ section, or contact our technical support team.
Free 24 hour a day, 7 days a week, technical e-mail support.
Need more product help and support?

Search our sales FAQ section for more product support, or contact our sales department.
Get information on licensing options.
Special licensing agreements for schools/charities.
More Products from AVG

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/Single/lng/us/tpl/tpl01#Purchase

nwonash said:

AVI is okay for people who are hard for money.  But it's not a very good virus program.

Hey Nwonash....I haven't tried Kapersky or Panda, I'll check them out. I'm sure they're both great products. As Jake mentioned, they do sell AVG. I've tried their firewall out and it seems ok. My point is that after running AVG Free and Zone Alarm Pro for well in excess of 6 months, I'm yet to have a problem. I'm online about 6 to 12 hrs a day and I use peer to peer software, internet banking etc., so at the moment I'm pretty pleased. For me, money's not an issue. I guess I've just grown tired of paying for programs that are supposed to be great programs. If I pay good money for Norton's, for example, I get a good program, but it munches valuable pc resources. :( Other programs, aside from Bit Defender, just didn't cut the mustard.

hey smoo,

be careful using peer to peer software. There is a big crack down of peer to peer sites and programmes such as Kazza, Limewire etc.

Can I recommend you download and use a program called peer guardian if you havent already. It can be obtained for free from http://www.afterdawn.com/software/p2p_software/p2p_tools/peerguardian.cfm

Make sure that you update it daily.

I have previously used AVG and found alot of viruses that went undetected.

You may want to do an online virus and spyware check. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ this is a really good site to check to make sure AVI picked up all viruses.

Kapersky and Panda are the best virus / internet security programs going around.

Thanks for that Nwonash. I have downloaded and run Peer Guardian. Can't get onto the Housecall site. I will certainly have a good look at Kapersky and Panda.

Appreciate the the advice.

Cheers,
Smoo ;D

Sometimes peerguardian will not allow you to access some sites.

When you're not down / uploading via p2p, you can close it.

Just make sure you do use it while using p2p