New Rules | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Rules

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
On top of everything I and others have said about this horrible rule, I predict it will reduce the flow of the game and make it uglier due to the requirement of mini-conferences between ump and players to sort it at the time and dumb penalties if it isn't.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
"My role in that as custodian of it is to make sure the right things are introduced to open the game back up, and to have more Dustin Martin moments that he did in the Grand Final, where he was able to find space, and we would like to create more of those – that's my role and I'm committed to finding that space."

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
"My role in that as custodian of it is to make sure the right things are introduced to open the game back up, and to have more Dustin Martin moments that he did in the Grand Final, where he was able to find space, and we would like to create more of those – that's my role and I'm committed to finding that space."

The only space that I can find with SHocking is between his ears

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
As soon as the player in possession of the ball feigns to play on, then play on has got to be called by the umpire. If we have a situation where the player in possession of the ball starts pretending to play on but not just to suck in the player on the mark to cause them to move then it's going to be chaos.

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Wow that is a cheap invocation of Dusty's name. Dusty's going to get a kick no matter what.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Wow, those double 50m penalties in the Port v North game were an absolute farce.

What is the player on the mark supposed to do when running to stand the mark after a 50m penalty? If the player with the ball and with a 50m penalty goes past him it appears that the umpire is forced to pay another 50m penalty. So what is a player with a 50m penalty going to do? Why, they're going to try and run faster than the player running back to the mark. Are you allowed to put someone else on the mark when a 50m penalty is awarded? Do the AFL know the answer to this question?

Yeah, well considered rule which will be fine :rolleyes:

Absolute joke.

We are already seeing the impact and it is farcical.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
What is the player on the mark supposed to do when running to stand the mark after a 50m penalty? If the player with the ball and with a 50m penalty goes past him it appears that the umpire is forced to pay another 50m penalty. So what is a player with a 50m penalty going to do? Why, they're going to try and run faster than the player running back to the mark. Are you allowed to put someone else on the mark when a 50m penalty is awarded? Do the AFL know the answer to this question?
Was it like what happened to Caddy last year v Port? If the player with the 50m penalty runs past you, you're obligated to stop running and get out of the protected zone.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Watching the saints/blues game I think the rule is having a big impact on the look of the game at least. The umps don't seem to be setting the mark properly at times so the guy manning the mark is not in line with the kicker. It looks pretty weird and lets the player with the ball just run straight past him. It's going to take a while to get used to.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Then what we need is more Dusty's to make the game look good.
And more Dangerfeilds for the Dusty's to toy with.

• Haha

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Game looks like AFLX
Are they going to Blast out a pop song for 30 seconds after each goal?
Reckon that made each goal a little more special, i loved seeing people in the crowd getting up dancing while they sing the song.
...not

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Theoretically play could be stalled by deliberately standing a couple of metres towards the middle of the ground from where the mark was taken, forcing the umpire to hold up play and position the mark correctly.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
From vague memories practice matches are generally higher scoring affairs as clubs work out their game tactics n structures for the season ahead. Coaches usually more concerned about getting their players match fit and systems running than worrying about who wins or how many goals are kicked.
They usually tighten the *smile* out of their structures by about round two or three.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I don't think so, as I understand it you can choose to stand to the side of the actual spot and you are just told to stand there. I think you will see that around the boundary where the man on the mark will stand inside and open up the path over the pure mark spot down the boundary line.
That was the one I noticed, a free for out on the full and the umpire inisting that the player on the mark stand on the boundary line.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Was it like what happened to Caddy last year v Port? If the player with the 50m penalty runs past you, you're obligated to stop running and get out of the protected zone.

Hmm, could be, but then who goes on the mark after the 50m penalty given that it appears the umpire nominates the player on the mark?

They don't seem to have thought this through, but that surprises me not a all.

DS