New Rules | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Rules

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Media still failing all over themselves over how great footy is. It's like they haven't been watching the last two weeks! Defensive flooding slowly but sury creeping back in. By next week there won't be 100p scored.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Crowds are well down. They can claim reduced capacity but many seats are going begging. I think people have woken up that the ticket outlets are combining with ground managers to gouge punters.

Yep, there's that too - the whole reserved seat for COVID is leading to people paying for tickets as they bury the tickets without payment, plus the crappy tickets they offer GA members to lure them into paying for an upgrade.

Time to allow for general admission, they can limit this to sections. Any chance of over 75% capacity crowds is slim and we already know which games are likely to have crowds beyond 75%.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Media still failing all over themselves over how great footy is. It's like they haven't been watching the last two weeks! Defensive flooding slowly but sury creeping back in. By next week there won't be 100p scored.
Yep the free flowing bruise free ping pong football is slowing down as teams adjust to the new rule. Don't worry SHocking and the AFL are working on the new density rule next year to rectify this.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Results highlighting that the game has turned on its head from last year due to the SHocking rule changes.
Do we have the list to evolve with it? I’m not sure tbh as we have a lot of players who thrive on contested ball.
Going to find if we do out soon enough.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Results highlighting that the game has turned on its head from last year due to the SHocking rule changes.
Do we have the list to evolve with it? I’m not sure tbh as we have a lot of players who thrive on contested ball.
Going to find if we do out soon enough.
Nah, ToO, it's slowly coming back to a normal contested grind. There wasn't as much bruise free football this week. Our game, the sydney/ess and melb/geel were hard tough games. Even the saints come back was on the back of contested rather than uncontested free flowing football.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Can anyone show me where the article about SHocking saying that the new rules were designed to counteract Richmonds stretching the man on the mark rules.
I was talking to some mates about it & they said they hadn't seen anything like that in the media. I would like to show them that article.
cheers TT33

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Can anyone show me where the article about SHocking saying that the new rules were designed to counteract Richmonds stretching the man on the mark rules.
I was talking to some mates about it & they said they hadn't seen anything like that in the media. I would like to show them that article.
cheers TT33
He wouldn't be so bold as to say it outright. It was paraphrased by Scott Gullan who obviously had a souce on the Competition Committee.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/5bfd3cb5621aceb115cb44207d08afcb (paywalled)

Last few para.

Attachments

• text.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 15

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I will be astonished if any reply I may receive resembles transparency, accountability or adequacy in any way. I'll keep you posted

Dear AFL,

I have been an AFL participant and viewer for nearly 50 years.

It came to my attention on the weekend, watching the coverage of Sydney V Richmond,

That a camera crew (Fox?) apparently entered the Playing Surface after a Sydney goal,

And broadcast a close up of a Sydney goal celebration.

Over all the years in my participation in the game as a player, coach and viewer, I always understood that anyone other than Players, Umpires and the participating teams runners

Entering the Playing Surface, was a serious offence, for good reason ( to both protect and not obstruct players and umpires)

The Laws of Australian Football state,
6. TEAM OFFICIALS AND TEAM RUNNER

1. 6.1 CONTROLLING BODY TO REGULATE
    A Controlling Body shall adopt rules which:
    1. (a) specify the times and occasions when an Official and Team Runner may enter the Playing Surface; and
    2. (b) identify the tasks or duties which such persons may perform when on the Playing Surface.

Under those same rules, does a camera crew constitute an Official or a Team Runner?

Official: includes but is not limited to an officer, coach, assistant coach, trainer, runner, employee or any person performing any duties (paid or unpaid) for or on behalf of a Club or Team.

Playing Surface: the field of play inside the Boundary Line, Goal Line and Behind Line, excluding the area between such lines and the perimeter fence

Can you please confirm

1. If this occurred?,
2. If it breached The AFL Laws of Australian Football?

Your sincerely,

EZY

been a week now and no reply from the AFl's enquiries.com.au published email address.

did anyone notice camera crews on the playing surface last round?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So far from what I have seen this year we are not seeing higher scores, we're not seeing more blow outs (I am defining a blow out as a win of 60 points, or 10 goals, or greater), higher average winning margins, and it seems a bit early to see trends on contested possessions as a proportion of total possessions and contested marks as a percentage of total marks.

But one thing I think we are seeing is late blow outs, big increases in the lead seem to be happening at the end of games and a lot of very one sided quarters.

It is an interesting one and I might have a look at the stats on margins by quarter (will take a fair bit of work to do this).

But, what the uneven last quarters (Footscray on Friday and Melbourne last week) tells me is that it isn't the scarecrow on the mark which is making the big difference, it is the reduced interchange and the fatigue resulting which is making the difference.

DS

PS: can we rename this thread "New Rules for 2021", there must be other new rules threads given how they change the rules every 5 minutes and there will be many more each year if the current pack of morons running the AFL have anything to do with it, especially after this years version of new rules fails to give them what they wish to fabricate.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The longer quarters, coupled with a reduction in interchange, would be having a real impact on our ability to defend on a large ground for sustained periods. I don’t think there’s any coincidence our team looks to be struggling on the wide open spaces of the MCG. The defensive game plan that’s worked so successfully is not sustainable. It’s no coincidence we are looking ragged at times & our small forwards who are being asked to do a tonne of work are out on their feet. Fatigue would be a factor.

Reactions: 1 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I don't like the new rules.
Footy is changing too much.
They call it progress .....
Richmond's coaching staff are going to have to now re-think its strategies and develop a relevant workable game plan if it wants to find its way through the season.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It looks too much like basketball with short passes everywhere and running it down the ground with a heap of possessions.

Uncontested marks at the highest average since 2009, tackles at the lowest average since 2008. The uncontested possessions per game has been stable for a while and no real difference this year - they are a little down on 2019 and a fair number of earlier years, you have to go back to 2006 to really see a drop.

Average margin has not really changed and scoring a little up on 2019 but nothing radical and still lower than prior to 2019.

All the above excludes 2020 for obvious reasons.

DS

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I wonder when all this is said & done if the number of rule changes introduced by the current AFL executive will be a reflection of our dominance of this period?

Basically we were so great at what we did, they had to change the game.

Reactions: 2 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Whining about the length of the game is contagious.

Dimma did it at the end of his presser.

If the AFL change the length of quarters to less than 20 minutes it will be another fix to a problem caused by other rule changes they have introduced.

Rule change 1: Need more open play... Introduce a cap to the number of interchanges. Leads to less scoring.
Rule change 2: Need more open play to increase scoring... Reduce the interchange cap. Leads to less scoring.
Rule change 3: Need more open play and more scoring because there aren't enough advertising slots for the broadcasters to use... Reduce the interchange cap and increase the time between a goal and the bounce. Leads to less scoring and more injuries, which leads to longer games as a result of the injuries and the advertising gap.
Rule change 4: Need to cater for the increase in injuries. Reintroduce the sub!!! Does nothing to reduce injuries and game length and nothing to increase scoring.
Proposed rule change 5: Reduce injuries. Shorten the game. GOTO Rule change 1.

Reactions: 5 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Whining about the length of the game is contagious.

Dimma did it at the end of his presser.

If the AFL change the length of quarters to less than 20 minutes it will be another fix to a problem caused by other rule changes they have introduced.

Rule change 1: Need more open play... Introduce a cap to the number of interchanges. Leads to less scoring.
Rule change 2: Need more open play to increase scoring... Reduce the interchange cap. Leads to less scoring.
Rule change 3: Need more open play and more scoring because there aren't enough advertising slots for the broadcasters to use... Reduce the interchange cap and increase the time between a goal and the bounce. Leads to less scoring and more injuries, which leads to longer games as a result of the injuries and the advertising gap.
Rule change 4: Need to cater for the increase in injuries. Reintroduce the sub!!! Does nothing to reduce injuries and game length and nothing to increase scoring.
Proposed rule change 5: Reduce injuries. Shorten the game. GOTO Rule change 1.
I think you're onto something