Nick Mellington | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nick Mellington

uhuh uhuh

Ruthless and Relentless
Mar 24, 2006
Melbourne
MURRAY Bushrangers captain Nick Mellington’s strong form in the TAC Cup has earned the Benalla star a call up from Richmond’s VFL team.

In a huge boost to his chances of being drafted, the teen will play against Collingwood’s VFL team on Saturday.

Bushrangers talent manager Lee Fraser said it was fantastic opportunity for Mellington.

“As a club we work closely with AFL clubs regarding our playing list,” he said.

“We’ve been liaising with Richmond throughout the season to promote our in-form players.

“Nick is an outstanding leader of our group and while he will be missed over the next few weeks, a clear priority of our club is to provide these opportunities to talented footballers within our region.”

The Bushrangers host the Northern Knights at Norm Minns Oval at 1pm on Sunday.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2374578/nick-mellington-called-up-for-richmonds-vfl-team/

My best mate's lad plays for the Bushies as well.I'll get some info of him.

Mellington to pull on Richmond jumper

Murray Bushrangers captain Nick Mellington has earned a call-up to play two games for Richmond in VFL.

DAMEN FRANCIS June 27, 2014 3:15am

When one door won’t open, try another.

Murray Bushrangers captain Nick Mellington has not been able to force his way into Victoria Country’s team for the AFL Under-18 Championships, but his stellar TAC Cup form has earned him a two-match VFL stint at Richmond.

Mellington, 18, will line up for the Tigers in their clash against Collingwood at Morwell tomorrow and against Casey Scorpions at Punt Road Oval the following weekend.

The inside midfielder played arguably his best game of the season last weekend, racking up 32 possessions and nine tackles in the Bushrangers’ 32-point defeat to Geelong Falcons, and was looking forward to the VFL opportunity.

‘‘It’s taken me a while to find some form, but the last few weeks I’ve started to string some good games together and if I can take that to the next level that would be perfect,’’ Mellington said.

‘‘If not I just want to go there and play a role and fit in as much as I can.

‘‘It’s just another opportunity to try and impress someone and it’s not great to leave the Bushies, but the whole program is about developing, so if that’s the best thing to do I’m more than happy to do it.’’

Mellington joins former Bushrangers Cadeyn Williams (Cobram) and Anthony Miles (Howlong) at the Tigers, but the latter is likely to play for the club’s AFL team.

Having missed out on the initial Country squad, Mellington was drafted in ahead of the second clash with Victoria Metro, only to be named an emergency.

‘‘To get that close and not get in is obviously disappointing and the hardest thing was to turn that into a motivator,’’ he said.

‘‘Once I could do that and put it in the back of my mind, rather than let it hinder me, my form has done the talking for me the last couple of weeks.’’

Mellington’s role in the Richmond side was dependent on which AFL players the club was left with, but he was earmarked for a role in a wing-half-forward rotation, giving him an opportunity to work on his outside play.

Mellington’s brother Josh plays VFL for Essendon and the pair hopes to play a game together for home club Benalla later this year.
http://www.mmg.com.au/local-sport/shepparton/mellington-to-pull-on-richmond-jumper-1.74896

Josh of course played for Fremantle before returning to Victoria this year.

In the GVFL semi-finals this weekend there will be some interesting talent.

At Seymour on Saturday Benalla will play Kyabram in the seniors.
Benalla will play:
Nick Mellington (187cm, 66kg) captain of the Murray Bushrangers who played two games for Richmond VFL this year.
Brody Webster (184, 89) walked away from the Bushies when they said he would have a break from all footy mid year. Jamie Elliot type freakish high marking forward.
Josh Mellington (188, 78) drafted in 2010, walked away from Fremantle last year after no trade back to Victoria. Signed to Essendon VFL and came back to Benalla full time in round 7. Averaging 4.7 gpg. Brother of Nick.
http://www.mmg.com.au/local-sport/shepparton/mellington-rapt-to-pull-on-saints-jumper-again-1.73831

Kyabram will play:
Liam Barrett (187, 79) who won the B&F at Bendigo Pioneers this year.
Tom Holman (191, 93) who is the brother of Nick, who was drafted last year at 51 by Carlton and has played one game. IMO Tom is a much better player.

In the U18's Benalla will play David Mennen (185, 78) who is on the state screening with Mellington.

Those weights right for the players? Both Mellingtons must be absolute pencils.

Sorry TM, my typo mistake.
Nick is actually listed at 88 kg.
Only figure I could find for Josh was when he was drafted in 2010.
Josh is a solid build and would be around the 90kg mark mow I would think.

Edit: 9pm 10/9/14

Unbeaten this year but struggled against the shepp swans last weekend
hopefully they can get over kyabram this week to go straight through to grand final
have lost their best player will martiniello to a broken jaw in the last round so a big loss there
Drummond from mooroopna would be a good late pick for me!