No-Bias Richmond review: 2005. / The New, Revised, Updated Version of the UnBiased report on Richmon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

No-Bias Richmond review: 2005. / The New, Revised, Updated Version of the UnBiased report on Richmon

Bentleigh

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 11, 2004
iameviljez said:
Oh Dear.  Suggested Membership Slogan: "We're not quite as bad as Hawthorn".

ON THE FIELD
DEFENCE: Well there's not a whole lot going on down here as illustrated by poor young Daniel Jackson being asked to step into CHB at times despite not even being 190cm.  Gaspar's had more than one shocking season on end and couldn't seem to take a contested mark to save himself, prompting a public letter of support from Greg Miller that sounded more like a plea for leniency.  The two real shining lights last year were Hartigan and of course Bowden, Hartigan coming out of a back pocket and Bowden off a HBF, both seeing plenty of the football (well goodness knows it was down there often enough) but there's not much else down there for the Tiges and NOTHING in the way of tall timber.
Rating: 2/10 (even a Leaky Sieve gets a rating of 2.5)

MIDFIELD: The best part of the Tiger's setup.  Kane Johnson would be a frontline midfielder at just about any club as would the dangerous Nathan Brown the Mercenary.  The real bonus will be Mark Coughlan who returns from injury this year and by all accounts is recovering well from the dreaded OP.  Chaffey has been serviceable and, along with Wayne Campbell, is a good ordinary player but there is a fair lack of quality within the ranks.  Players like Krakouer and Rodan need to take the next step up to oust the inconsistent and uninspiring Tivendale out of the lineup.  There's not too much depth there either. 
Rating: 4/10 due to the three top-end players.

FOWARDS: Richo, Richo, Richo.  What on earth happens when he retires I have no idea.  The real problem is, for now, however, the lack of a CHF.  Quite frankly I couldn't care less what the Tigers say about Schulz kicking six against the Lions because he certainly hasn't followed it up with anything worthwhile, kicking just four goals over the rest of the season.  Simmonds will be given first crack at the role and should provide a better target.  The loss of Ottens may hurt but not on the basis of last year's form.  Apart from Richo, the fowards rely mostly on the midfielders for the goals and it's a worry.
Rating: 3/10, 2 of those belong to Richo.

RUCKS: Stafford will be backed up this year by Ray Hal, Trent Knobell and Troy Simmonds in the ruck which isn't too bad a combo but it's definetely not quality.  None of Stafford, Knobel or Hall do much around the ground and they certainly aren't three of the best tap ruckmen in the league but it's not too bad a combo and certainly one that StKilda wouldn't mind having.
Rating: 4/10

FUTURE:
YOUTH: There's still a fair way to go at Tigerland.  There's not much tall quality youth coming through.  Supporters often bandy around names like Schulz, Archibald, Pattison and McGuane and whilst two of those are draftees from this year (I believe) the reality is that none of them have shown a whole lot.  The real stories from this year are Deledio and Tambling; perhaps the best two players in this year's draft and Tambling was certainly exciting last night by all accounts.  Coughlan, Rodan and Hartigan are all still young and suggest that the Tigers' midfield has a good future.  Also, Raines, Roach and Jackson all enjoyed good debuts last year and all of them showed something.
Rating: 6/10, still some development to be done.

LEADERSHIP: The Tigers are still choosing their captain which sums up the situation fairly well to be honest.  Johnson would have to be the standout favourite for the job ahead of Richo, Brown and Bowden but Wallace has promised them all a turn.  It's not a great selection to be honest, but Campbell wasn't ever really that much better than anonymous, at least to the public eye.
Rating: 3/10.

OTHERWISE:
COACH: The Tigers went in hard and couldnt've asked for better in my opinion than Terry Wallace who, within the space of six months, managed to fashion the Bulldogs from a ragtag team into a professional, driven unit that could have and maybe should've won a flag in 1997/8.  Wallace is good working the with the development of young players and always got the best out of his team.  People are already saying that the Tigers seem to possess a newfound intensity - not that it means a whole lot at this point of the season.
Rating: 8/10 - the right man for the right job.

OFF THE FIELD: Who was that moronic supporter who started petitioning against the club and took a rival team's umbrella to a Tiger's match?  And of course there was the famous "spit", and then there was the effect of the season upon poor Danny Frawley.  To be honest, after the board election settled matters, the only person to remain with his reputation intact was Greg Miller.  However, the fact that they managed to secure the best coach going does say something.
Rating: 4/10.

On-field rating: 13/40
Future rating: 9/20
Otherwise rating: 12/20
OVERALL RATING: 34/80.
An ordinary score reflects that there's a long way to go, especially with the volatile nature of the supporters.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153040

Re: No-Bias Richmond review: 2005.

Bentleigh
Nice summary but I dont think marks out of 10, 40 or 80 make much sense
The clud is $3million in debt, finished bottom, lost 14 in a row, did not gain much from the trade and draft in experienced players and continued to pick up kids some of who could be very good and some not, but all will take 3 years to make a big enough impression to change the clubs results significantly.

The only other factor is the coach so if the team improves greatly or even a bit this year it will have to be coaching, so you might be a bit pessimistic with your summary and probably could have give a bigger score to the coach ie 20/30 because he could make a bigger impact than 8/10

Where does 34/80 mean they will finish on the ladder, and would 46/100 put them higher.

i don't mind criticism and I'd read any review on Richmond.
This one goes OUCh but i'm inclined to agree with all that.

One point though. The article didn't mention that the players haven't performed because the previous coaches couldn't get the players to play.

I'm tipping that the change in atmosphere that the new recruits and coaches have brought will bring us at least 10 wins this season.

2005...the cusp of the top 8
2006..finals
2007...the real joy....more finals   :clap

It's probably a bit rude to copy someone else's entire post from another site.  If they wished us to discuss their views and ask for explanations they'd probably post it here themselves.  We don't know who that person barracks for or if they are genuine or have any kind of a clue.

Geez, Bentleigh, if I was to believe all that, I don't think any of us would be looking forward to 2005 in any shape or form.

Don't know who wrote it, and don't intend to access the link, but wonder if he or she is a Richmond person. Sounds like it, but there are factors not taken into account.... mainly it is based on last year's effort, if one can call it effort.

What's more I don't agree with some of the summation re players, eg, my own opinion is that Chaffey is better than "servicable."

BTW, is this your view as well??

Though it's not what we want to believe on PRE it is a fairly honest assessment of how other club's supporters see us.

5 wins out of our last 36 (or whatever) and a $3.0 million loss over the last two years is harking back to the Saints of the 80's. Is it any wonder we are such a laughing stock to others?

you can have all the reviews you like but really no one knows how we will go until we get into the season and l hope lm coming to pre and reading everyone saying l didnt think we would go this well in terry wallaces first year as our coach go tiges

jb03 said:
Though it's not what we want to believe on PRE it is a fairly honest assessment of how other club's supporters see us.

5 wins out of our last 36 (or whatever) and a $3.0 million loss over the last two years is harking back to the Saints of the 80's. Is it any wonder we are such a laughing stock to others?
Agree,despite all the hype re Wallace & recruits the fact is until we start winning games our credibility will not come back.Throw in Caseys financial mismanagement means we have furthered damaged our reputation.However with Wallace heading the onfield & Wright the off-field hopefully it won't be long before we are a respected force in the AFL.

lets face the club is a shambles and no wonder we get ridaculed...

agree 80 per cent with this summary, we have been in this shithole for over 20 years and in my opinion until Miller obtained Wallace i had grave fears for this club...

personally i think everyone is under selling Wallet, career coach whom i believe will leave no stone unturned in his quest for premiership glory and what better club than the mighty tigers....

only way to disprove this article is for the team to come out this season and at least play with some pride in the jumper which i think as supporters it is not to much to ask for.... ::)

Thought a review meant in retrospect, past. Can't review something that hasn't happened IMO.
Call it a preview if you must, either way it's the biggest load of uninformed rubbish I've read in a long time . :mad:
Same old same old.
(Get my drift? ;))

All of the assessments of season 2005 thus far have been based on tangible facts; ie, 14 straight losses last year, 13 losses from the last 14 games of 2003, etc, etc, etc.

The difference with my assessment of the Tiges in season 2005 is the intangibles; ie, effect on morale of new coach, new players, new lease of life from the senior players. All of these intangibles will get us into the eight next year.

I haven't seen much of big footy but what I've seen has been sh!t. They don't have a clue.

:mad:

Big footy = absolute rubbish ::) A waste of space imo

Anduril said:
Thought a review meant in retrospect, past. Can't review something that hasn't happened IMO.
Call it a preview if you must, either way it's the biggest load of uninformed rubbish I've read in a long time . :mad:
Same old same old.
(Get my drift? ;))

Good one Anduril. Even though I said I would not have a looksee at the link, I ended up doing so. It would appear from this person's previous posts he or she is a Pussy Cat supporter. Maybe not very happy with getting the little donut!!

DEFENCE: Well there's not a whole lot going on down here as illustrated by poor young Daniel Jackson being asked to step into CHB at times despite not even being 190cm

Danile Jackson had to play CHB for Richmond in 2004. When? Oh, for five minutes? Didn't notice. And this five minutes proves something?

When the rating for the upcoming season (based on the text) purports to be a review and opens with a gem like this, it is usually a waste of tiime to read on. But I did. Maybe it would improve.

Might I ask how a team which has one midfielder who played in 2004 (K.Johnson) could rate 4/10? Nathan Brown on his 2004 form would be a frontline midfielder at any club? I see. Like Pt Adelaide, Brisbane, StKilda, Geelong, etc? Another baseless assertion. So far one midfielder.

:thumbsdown

Why bother?

Bentleigh, I would very much prefer to read your views.

Everyone knows that Richmond has been a rabble for many years.

However, I personally think that we are heading in the right direction finally.

Just have a look at our playing list. We've turned over two thirds of our list in just two years. We've got rid of our coaching department from last year. Greg Beck is also gone.

On board, we have a great coach in Terry Wallace, some great assistances, new players and the team that is going to develop these kids into champions. Yes, the club may be asking for more from these kids, but the club is making a long term investment in these kids.

This is the first time I can honestly say, this club is going places.

I am not expecting much this season, but it's 2006 and beyond I look foward to.

Everyone's mouth has two sides and I reckon we all will be laughing out of both during this season. Lets not waste our time justifing opposition tripe.

I would be more than a little curious to see were this bloke rated richmond at this time last year!Seeing as a lot of respected football commentators ranked us[and indeed whorethorn] in the 8 and some even in the top 4 shows that its a game played between the ears with the spirit of teams and individual players balanced on a knife edge,and nobody from any team should be that pessimistic. Add to that the fact the most punters had Melbourne,Geelong and Carlton as bottom 3 shows that percieved February talent is hit or miss judgement .I prefer to look at the glass half full and am not booking any holidays in September....GO TIGES

Dyer'ere said:
Why bother?

Gives a very intersting and valid insightwhow the average, non-bias football fans sees our club and specficly for the upcomming season?

Tubytiger said:
Big footy = absolute rubbish  ::) A waste of space imo

Couldnt the same be said about any forum? ie. PRE?

Why do you claim big footy is 'rubbish'. Most see it as by far the best AFL forum on the net.

I find it refreshing to read a preview no stuffed full of bias and optimism. Rather, a honest non-bias view.

graystar1 said:
Geez, Bentleigh, if I was to believe all that, I don't think any of us would be looking forward to 2005 in any shape or form.

Don't know who wrote it, and don't intend to access the link, but wonder if he or she is a Richmond person. Sounds like it, but there are factors not taken into account.... mainly it is based on last year's effort, if one can call it effort.

What's more I don't agree with some of the summation re players, eg, my own opinion is that Chaffey is better than "servicable."

BTW, is this your view as well??

Maybe we shouldnt be looing to 2005 too much the eh? Lets be realistic.

The bloke who wrote is quite 'in the know'. Ive read all his reviews and they are top self . Much better than phantoms - In My Opion.

He is a Geelong fan and her certainly knows his footy. They are not only based on the past but also what has been happening over the pre-season.

Well worth a read.