No Rush on Frawley Contract: Casey | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

No Rush on Frawley Contract: Casey

zacs56

Watch out, the Tigers are coming to get you!
Mar 31, 2003
No rush on Frawley contract: Casey
Sunday 13 July 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au
It appears Richmond coach Danny Frawley’s hopes of an early extension to his contract are over after the club slumped to its seventh successive loss this weekend.

After sitting in third place after round eight with six wins – the Tigers finals’ hopes are now all but over for yet another year following Saturday’s four point loss to Geelong.

The current run of outs is almost identical to last season when the club lost nine games in a row – that drought also beginning after round eight.

Frawley, who led the Tigers to the preliminary final in 2001, is in his fourth year in charge at Punt Road and is contracted until the end of next season.

And while Richmond football director Greg Miller has guaranteed Frawley will remain as coach of the Tigers until at least the end of the 2004 season – his future is clouded beyond that.

Richmond president Clinton Casey backed away from recent comments on Sunday that the club would consider extending Frawley’s contract early next year.

“I didn’t say that. I was asked at what point would we be looking at Danny’s contract and I said if it expires next year, it would be something we would initiate at end of next year or his management may inititiate earlier at some point in time,” he told Melbourne radio station 3AW.

“But there is nothing on the agenda in terms of sitting down at this point in time (and extending Frawley’s contract).”

“At this point in time he has got a contract until the end of next season.”

As yet another season begins to unravel for a club which has made the finals just twice since 1982 – Casey said injuries have exposed the club’s playing list as lacking depth.

“It’s probably one of the positives that we can take away at the moment is there has been a realistic assessment done of our list and we know we are short on depth,” he said.

“The gaps have been identified and players have frankly been told these are the gaps and if you want to be part of where this club is heading, you need to step up and take your position or you won’t be here.”

However Casey said he was confident the club’s football department - led by the experienced Miller - would eventually resurrect the once great club’s fortunes.

“The board is very happy with way the football department is structured at the moment,” he said.

“We don’t think there is a more experienced football department in the AFL at the moment.”

But with low membership next year can Richmondud afford to pay these pack of loosing experience football duds ?
How meny years can hacks play before we realise they will not be able to stepup?
We won't find out if the kids in Coburg can play for they still won't get a game will they ?
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D :D ;D

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
zacs56 said:
However Casey said he was confident the club’s football department - led by the experienced Miller - would eventually resurrect the once great club’s fortunes.

“The board is very happy with way the football department is structured at the moment,” he said.

“We don’t think there is a more experienced football department in the AFL at the moment.”

We need to tighten up the ship on this media commentary stuff. It is not doing anyone any good. Including us at PRE.

I think the structure of the football department is fine, it is just a matter of who is part of the structure that is the problem.

Experience doesn't necessarily equate to quality unfortunately.

This is a big turn around on his supposed previous statement and dare I say it again

"how many times have we heard a president guarantee a coaches position and then sack him a few weeks later"

Wonder why the sudden change of heart. maybe it had something to do with that alleged aftermatch discussion mentioned on 3AW.

I personally don't think they will change the list and the coaching staff all at one, but see my post re Millers 3 year plan under another thread.

No wonder Spud sounded down during the press conference.

We need to tighten up on this media commentary as it isn't helping anything at this point in time and is only adding to the anxiety of it all.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Casey has made these comments because he has realised what a fool he was by saying that Frawley's contract will be renegotiated early next season.

He needs to keep his mouth shut and let Miller do the talking, or better still disappear to one of his retirement homes.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
The club will not sack Danny before his contract expires, they can't afford to.

Unless Danny quits, we will be stuck with him until the end of 2004.

And after watching the bullies have a massive crack at Port and I am even more convinced that we will not win another game for 2003, making Danny's departure even more assured, and the opportunity for the club to truely move forward with some hope.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
gustiger12 said:
Thought this one would have lit up PRE like a Xmas Tree.

Where are you Rosy?????

I don't really have any comment. Seems to me Clinton has gone into damage control for mouthing off about Danny's contract negotiations in the first place.

Saying Danny's contract would be negotiated early next year would alienate a lot of supporters and some kind of retraction was needed.

If he hadn't said that I doubt this article would come out casting doubts over Danny's future either.

I prefer that kind of thing to be kept in house.

I think we see it differently Gus, but I didn't see any need for him to say what he did in the first place.

I think we have a pretty abysmal record in the media.
If something's not fact I'd prefer they didn't say it.

I'd prefer to hear a "No Comment" than to be told *smile*.

(Guess I did have a comment after all, ha )

Great minds think alike Boss, you were a tad quicker though. :) )

P

PuntRoadRoar

I have a feeling if Richmond dont win more than one game from our last 7 matches, the spud will walk away and quit.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
gustiger12 said:
We need to tighten up on this media commentary as it isn't helping anything at this point in time and is only adding to the anxiety of it all.

Don't get me wrong here Rosy, I totally agree with you and the Boss in that we don't need and shouldn't be making these rash statement to the media.

I was more seeking views on how everyone interpreted this sudden turnaround.

Unfortunately these attempted retraction just add to the harm and hurt that has already been caused and brings the whole credibility issue into question.

Whats the old adage "Think before you Speak"

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Gus, like rosy, to me Clinton's comments came across as damage control.

Why can't the Richmond heirarchy just keep their gobs shut if they haven't got anything worthwhile or sensible to say. Just makes a fool of the club and doesn't give you confidence towards those in charge.