No white away shorts for the women … but really AFL | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

No white away shorts for the women … but really AFL

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
https://www.womens.afl/news/117788

Seems a smart thing to address.

But what tells me everything you need to know about the AFL is this.

“The AFL will approve uniforms each week to limit colour clashes, an extension of the pre-existing clash guernsey policy. “

They can’t work it out in advance? No they want to be able to change the rules when they feel like it.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It's understandable for women. Same problem happens to them in tennis (e.g. whites in Wimbledon)

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Always dumb to have aesthetic rules that impact player comfort and well being. So it's a good change.

But hopefully we can all get to a place where no one notices or cares about some blood on shorts. Players get blood on their Guernseys all the time.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
There's be a few blokes hoping the same comes in, nothing makes an arse look bigger than white shorts.

There could be a few others that are happy they can have a pre-match vindaloo without worrying about the after affects on their white shorts too

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I’m half conflicted with this one.

I have always found the concept of the away team having to wear white shorts as ridiculous, pointless and outdated. As long as there is no clash, you should be able to wear any colour shorts you want. I have always felt our away kit should include yellow shorts, not white shorts. It would look so much better.

On the other hand, I can’t think of any other sport that bans white shorts/skirts/pants for this reason. Wimbledon is the first tournament that comes to mind.

Finally, how are they going to resolve this when teams that have white as their traditional colours play another team that has white as their traditional colour? Geelong v Collingwood. Norf v Freo, etc. Will they make then wear a third colour? Pink perhaps?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
They really don't need to do the white shorts away any more, I always figured it was a bit of a function of muddy grounds where you could barely tell the jumpers apart by half time.

Mind you, I saw a pic recently of an old South Melbourne game, the black shorts just looked ridiculous with their predominantly while jumper and no dark colour as pat of their jumper.

DS

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Not sure menstruation concerns for guys will work. But in this day and age….
Well we do have the approved terms “person with p…s” and “person with vulva” permeating through health bureaucracy as a form of Orwellian newspeak. The terms “male” and “female”, or heaven forbid, “man” and “woman” are so oppressively last century.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I’m half conflicted with this one.

I have always found the concept of the away team having to wear white shorts as ridiculous, pointless and outdated. As long as there is no clash, you should be able to wear any colour shorts you want. I have always felt our away kit should include yellow shorts, not white shorts. It would look so much better.

On the other hand, I can’t think of any other sport that bans white shorts/skirts/pants for this reason. Wimbledon is the first tournament that comes to mind.

Finally, how are they going to resolve this when teams that have white as their traditional colours play another team that has white as their traditional colour? Geelong v Collingwood. Norf v Freo, etc. Will they make then wear a third colour? Pink perhaps?
Pretty much on the same page regarding white shorts.

I actually find the whole clash strip policy (where the AFL makes it up the rules as they go) absurd as well. Clash strips should be reserved for those few occasions when a genuine clash occurs. It would mean most clubs only wearing a clash strip 2-3 times a season. For example, why the hell were Fremantle required to wear a white strip against Hawthorn the one year they played in a grand final? Absurd. From memory I think Hawthorn were still wearing the white patch with a black number at the time. So Freo’s alternate strip probably looked closer to Hawthorn than their primary strip.

As for other sports to phase out white shorts for woman. I believe football/soccer clubs in England have agreed to go down this path just recently. So the likes of West Ham or Aston Villa will likely now wear claret shorts instead of white. Arsenal may wear red shorts instead of white. Man United have spent most of their history wearing white shorts with a red top, but have gone through some periods……errr, sorry…….some eras wearing black shorts. So I suspect their women’s side may look to wear black shorts. Becomes a bit more difficult for a side like Leeds who wear all-white. Haven’t heard what their solution is as yet for their women’s side.

Last edited: