Nonchalance, Hovering, Lackadaisical and other magical diagnosables | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nonchalance, Hovering, Lackadaisical and other magical diagnosables

Jeremy Howe should get a look in.

Although he probably hangs more than he hovers.

By the way, this may be contrary to everything here, but I've always thought Gibcus floats, not hovers.

He seems to have some sort of neutral buoyancy in the very thin medium of air, made all the more impossible by the density of his lower half.

It take a sophisticated clinician,

To differentiate between a hover and a float

It take a sophisticated clinician,

To differentiate between a hover and a float
i reckon some are getting confused a bit between leaping, stepladdering and hovering.
Howe leaps. As good as anyone. Bolton too. Put a 9ft ex-basketballer in front of them and they can stand on their heads.
Bolton is also a great step ladder user. He leaps high. But then he plants his foot or knee on an opponent and leaps again.

Gibcus just rises from the middle of the pack with no contact. When he reaches his highest point he surveys his surroundings, looks for a familiar face in the crowd, considers his plans for the rest of the weekend and then when the ball finally arrives he punches it away and slowly lowers himself to the ground.
It is a rare aptitude first noted, but misdiagnosed, about 2000 years ago on a particularly wet day on a flooded oval (possibly Moorabin as Saints are often mentioned in the stories) when it appeared a tall defender was walking across the pools of water down the wing when in fact he was just hovering over them.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Nonchalance, the state of being or appearing calm and relaxed, can be due to not worrying about the situation at hand; or not caring. While the first is ok and an attractive quality in a footballer, the other isn't.

Hovering.

Hoovering.

Baker.

Hoarding

Bowden/Bowden Bartlett

Hoaxing

Bolton

Hoofing

Balta

Reactions: 1 user
Nonchalance, the state of being or appearing calm and relaxed, can be due to not worrying about the situation at hand; or not caring. While the first is ok and an attractive quality in a footballer, the other isn't.

I thought our whole dynasty was predicated,

On not giving a stuff?

Yeah the put mayo all over it and called it love, autheticity, presence, process.

All manner of things.

But any budha worth a bowl of begged dahl will tell ya,

They dont give a stuff if vultures pick their bones.

Thats why dimma has zero chance of success on the gold coast.

They all want a vulture proof cript so their fake tits and lips lay on the floor of it forever

Last edited:
Dustin Martin? Mr.Nonchalance? Or am i confusing it with entire self belief with borderline distain?

In fact, hovering is probably THE only thing dusty cant do
Not sure you can be nonchalant and explosive/powerful? I think the likes of Dusty and Lethal have that self-belief/distain you mention, probably disqualifies you in a way from nonchalant? As a spectator your eyes can't help but be drawn to dusty/lethal whenever they are in the frame. The nonchalants are much less obtrusive?

Reactions: 1 users
Little known fact - Vivian Richards created the word nonchalant.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Saw Cyril hover a few times. Agree, I've already seen Gibcus do it a few times. Shaun Smith. Its rare. I remember seeing Peter Moore appear to do it once, but it was actually him sitting on someones shoulders for what seemed like an eternity.

Saw Cyril hover a few times. Agree, I've already seen Gibcus do it a few times. Shaun Smith. Its rare. I remember seeing Peter Moore appear to do it once, but it was actually him sitting on someones shoulders for what seemed like an eternity.

We used to see a lot of strange phenomina back in the 80's and 90's when you were allowed to smoke in grounds.

We'd take a few 3 paper trumpets and just set em free up the row at quarter time breaks

Remember that time Peter Daicos spent 30 mins without touching the ground at vic park?

That time we floated around to zydeco jump, thinking we were craig lambert at the esplanade hotel?

And that time andy goodwin floated the length of the MCG spinning the ball on his fingers and head?

simpler times

We'd probably be diagnosed as nonchalant these days

Not sure you can be nonchalant and explosive/powerful? I think the likes of Dusty and Lethal have that self-belief/distain you mention, probably disqualifies you in a way from nonchalant? As a spectator your eyes can't help but be drawn to dusty/lethal whenever they are in the frame. The nonchalants are much less obtrusive?
For sure Dusty is Mr Disdain.
I see you but YOU cant stop me.

Whereas nonchas look like they dont care if their stopped, disdainers see their chosen path and believe everyone else not worthy to stop them from glory.

Nonchalant: D.Jarman, D.White, J.Bowden, Dal Santo, Pendles, The Real Daicos (Peter), Scarlett, Adrian McAdam, Mark Bayes.

Hoverers: D.White, Gibdashian, Brett Burton, Trevor Barker, Royce Hart.
Scarlett.
How very rare for a defender, let alone a full back. Most of them moronic rockheads, misathrodopes. How many fullbacks could play footy? And Scarlett flips the mould and is so supremely nonchalant that as the full back he doesnt even line up on the full forward. Sublime.

Mark Bayes - wonderful.

Thinking about Scarlett I'd guess that Peter Knights had some hovering / nonchalantism going on? Too far in the dark dim history for me to say.

Seeing it’s PRE I’ll raise Nathan Foley; diagnosed as ‘steadfast’.

The way he gathered the ball and moved through and around packs has been etched into my memory for a long time.

Not often was he turning around or backward and dishing off sideways or backwards. He would run, gather and then straight line forward toward goals time and time again. The only thing on his mind was to drive forward. Little meaningless stats padding.

I wish he played for longer.

Nonchalant: D.Jarman, D.White, J.Bowden, Dal Santo, Pendles, The Real Daicos (Peter), Scarlett, Adrian McAdam, Mark Bayes.

Hoverers: D.White, Gibdashian, Brett Burton, Trevor Barker, Royce Hart.
Reckon Gilbert McAdam had more than a dash of nonchalance about him.

Reckon Gilbert McAdam had more than a dash of nonchalance about him.
Gilly more dynamic than nonchalant for me. Adrian was a freak. Not only did he kick 23 goals in his first three games of AFL footy (7, 10, 6), he was a gun cricketer too. Played for an NT XI against the touring Bangladesh aged 32 and took 1/7 and 2/30. One of those absolute naturals. Good story from Pagan at the start of this clip of him kicking 7 on debut against us:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Gilly more dynamic than nonchalant for me. Adrian was a freak. Not only did he kick 23 goals in his first three games of AFL footy (7, 10, 6), he was a gun cricketer too. Played for an NT XI against the touring Bangladesh aged 32 and took 1/7 and 2/30. One of those absolute naturals. Good story from Pagan at the start of this clip of him kicking 7 on debut against us:
McAdam kicking 9 against the Pies at Vic Park that year was magnificent.