Optus Outage | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Optus Outage

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The NBN reset under Abbott and Turnbull put Australia back at least 10 to 15years.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
FO Free internet.....pricks. How about discounting the bill??

So nice of them to offer extra data, when on my home internet I have unlimited data and the amount of data they already give on mobiles is ridiculous. I reckon since I got my new contract (there are 3 mobiles on it, myself and my 2 teenage daughters) we have hit 50% of our data allowance probably once.

The data is useless, and is just to appear like they are offering something. Most people will gain nothing from it.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
So nice of them to offer extra data, when on my home internet I have unlimited data and the amount of data they already give on mobiles is ridiculous. I reckon since I got my new contract (there are 3 mobiles on it, myself and my 2 teenage daughters) we have hit 50% of our data allowance probably once.

The data is useless, and is just to appear like they are offering something. Most people will gain nothing from it.
Yep, I can't believe how stupid they are. Do they really think users rely on just downloading all day??

I have a prepaid plan and they wasted 90 minutes of making me wait last time I called them. At least give extra time for calls!!!

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

Not any sort of compensation at all. They really don't get it at all.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Reckon the Ol Telstra shares will have got a little bump up thanks to Optarse and their efforts over the past week.

Id be changing providers asap.

Hit them where it hurts.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
What it does highlight is our society’s vulnerability to single points of failure in tech.

That a software update could lead to this and this risk not be managed in some way speaks to a lack of understanding of their own business by the people running it. Pathetic. The way it was reported was almost like something that just took them by surprise.

I come from oil and gas and there is significant regulation and oversight to ensure companies have systems in place to prevent disasters. Think ESV in Victoria.

Will take the equivalent of a tech Longford / Chernobyl / piper alpha / Valdez to generate the same level of government intervention I imagine.

Public listing and executive pay tied to short term earnings results will lead to this type of stuff. The reputation and loss of market share Optus gets may also drive improvement but I doubt it. The status quo has inertia if that makes sense.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
What it does highlight is our society’s vulnerability to single points of failure in tech.

That a software update could lead to this and this risk not be managed in some way speaks to a lack of understanding of their own business by the people running it. Pathetic. The way it was reported was almost like something that just took them by surprise.

I come from oil and gas and there is significant regulation and oversight to ensure companies have systems in place to prevent disasters. Think ESV in Victoria.

Will take the equivalent of a tech Longford / Chernobyl / piper alpha / Valdez to generate the same level of government intervention I imagine.

Public listing and executive pay tied to short term earnings results will lead to this type of stuff. The reputation and loss of market share Optus gets may also drive improvement but I doubt it. The status quo has inertia if that makes sense.

Inflated executive bonuses linked to increased profits, or more to the point "perceived performance improvements" is indeed a driver.

Look at the obscene salary and bonuses paid the that little Irish grunt Alan Joyce as head of Qantas.
Under his management they went from one of the best airlines in the world to an absolute shambles, yet all the way throughout his tenure he was getting big bonuses. All the while he was cutting staff & outsourcing jobs to overseas. Little Bunt.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Optus CEO Kelly Bayer Rosmarin resigns

Wonder if pushed, peter principal and was just in a job too big for her skills or just couldn't take the heat.

One year and this kind of incident is a failure not so much of her but her predecessors. These things are a result of risk not being properly managed - which could be process/skills and /or a don’t share bad news culture. Leadership only having Optus SIM cards tells you everything given a failure means you can’t communicate.

With that said I thought the communication from Optus was terrible and tone deaf. If she got fired for that then fair enough. Crisis management is a big part of what you get paid for as a CEO IMO.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The data offer was funny. I already have a plan where I usually don't get anywhere near through my data. It would be a bit like if the AFL offered everyone draft picks in the 90s for compo (actually scratch that, Suns would love it)