Organ donation | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Organ donation

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I read that up to 10 people's lives will be saved or improved by the generous donation of David Hookes organs.

Recently one of my sons girl friends family were in a similar position to the Hookes family having to make the heartbreaking decision to turn her life support off.

Naturally it's a heartbreaking stressful time and having to make on the spot decisions for the transplant team must only add to the trauma.

My point of this post isn't to discuss people's moral and ethical views on this subject but to just hope that at least they'll give it some thought.

God (or whoever) willing we'll never be in a similar situation but it would have to make it easier on loved ones who have to make decisions like this if they at least know our views on it.

Sorry for the heavy nature of this post but I felt it a small way that something positive can happen as a result of David's tragic and sudden death. :'(

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
I think it is a great idea and have it listed on my licence. I only hope no-one ends up with my eyes - they'd be ripped off otherwise and my husband says I have a heart of stone ;D

P

PuntRoadRoar

i still need to be convinced,

i would hate to think i'd put down im a donor and then my organs go to some university for their students to disect and do prep work on.

I know it shouldnt matter because im dead but i'd like to know my organs went to some person who really needed it and not a university to experiment.

sounds harsh but one does have to ask where do the medical students get their organs to learn from?

Although many people think i dont have a heart anyway.

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
I think my organs would only be good for experiments. The lungs must be black...liver like a potato chip....heart clogged with enough fat to start a fish n chip shop....kidneys are continually trying to leap out my back. Although there is one organ that is still working although it doesnt get much use, but thats only a small thing ;D

zacs56

Watch out, the Tigers are coming to get you!
Mar 31, 2003
PuntRoadRoar said:
i still need to be convinced,

i would hate to think i'd put down im a donor and then my organs go to some university for their students to disect and do prep work on.

I know it shouldnt matter because im dead but i'd like to know my organs went to some person who really needed it and not a university to experiment.

sounds harsh but one does have to ask where do the medical students get their organs to learn from?

Although many people think i dont have a heart anyway.
You can. or your family can tell the donor co-ordinator that what they remove can only be used for transplant purposes, and your wishes will be respected. If they are suitable for transplant they will definitely be used on people on the waiting list, for there is such a shortage of organs. If any organ is not good for transplant it will go to heaven with you. On my very first viewing of an organ harvest, the respect that is shown to the donor and family, certainly changed my view, and have signed up. Only people who donate their body to science are used by medical students in universities & research labs.

ps. I work in a hospital theatre that does a lot of transplants.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks for that zacs.

I didn't know what respose this topic would get but as you'd know too well turning off life support is traumatic enough without trying to second guess a persons wishes about organ transplant.

Unless you've been involved in a tragic situation like this it's easy to sweep under the carpet and not think about.

Whether people are in favour of donating organs or not it can't hurt to give it some thought and discuss it with family or loved ones.

Hopefully the info will never need to be used.