Ottens ready to return | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ottens ready to return

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
12:17:51 PM Thu 5 June, 2003
Matt Burgan
afl.com.au

Richmond is set to name key ruckman/forward Brad Ottens for his first game of the home-and-away-season.

Tigers coach Danny Frawley indicated at the club’s Thursday training session at Punt Road that Ottens, who underwent pre-season back surgery to repair a prolapsed disc, was set to be included for the clash against the Kangaroos on Friday night at the Telstra Dome.

“He’s a very good chance. He’s been training now for three weeks and was given the all clear two weeks ago,” Frawley said.

“We want Brad to be part of the decision as well, so we’ll just wait and see. We won’t be taking any risks whatsoever, but if he’s fit and ready to go, he’ll play.”

Frawley said if Ottens does get the all-clear to play, he’ll spend the majority of his time in the Tigers’ forward 50.

“We’d probably sneak him forward a little bit if we do play him,” Frawley said.

“We know the roof is going to be shut (at the Telstra Dome), so it’s probably going to suit marking type players, so that’s probably where we’d put him.”

“We’d maybe give (Greg) Stafford a rest at some stage, but more than likely (he’ll play) up forward.”

Frawley said Ottens’ return would “give everyone a huge lift” at the club.

“He’s a quality player. I think there are certain players at all clubs that probably get the right to play in the main game. There are probably three or four at every club that when they’re fit and ready to go, you’d prefer to play them at the higher standard,” Frawley said.

Meanwhile, Frawley said key defender Darren Gaspar would be a certain starter on Friday night.

“He’ll play. He’ll definitely play. He’s fit and ready to go,” Frawley said.

“He had a little bit of a knock on Tuesday. It was nothing, but he trained well today and he’s put his hand up, so that’s great news.”

“He had a fitness test and he trained for 40 minutes…so he’s done enough work.”

Frawley said defender Ben Holland would have been a ‘chance’ to return for his first game of the year, if he hadn’t of copped a one-match suspension for striking in the VFL.

Frawley added that Justin Blumfield (thigh) and Duncan Kellaway – who is returning from a hamstring injury via the VFL – were both set to return after the mid-season break, as is skipper Wayne Campbell, who has recovering from a calf injury.

“He’ll play after the bye. He’s training, he’s got a modified program and the week off has probably come at a good time for a guy like him,” Frawley said of Campbell.