Paddy Guinane | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Guinane

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Hi PRE,

I've been informed that Paddy has had a stroke and is in hospital but is doing well.

Whilst Paddy is not a player I am familiar with, here's a Wikipedia snippet for those who don't know him.
Paddy Guinane was a powerfully built key position player who mainly played as a forward. He was vice-captain of Richmond's 1967 premiership team and was the Club's leading goalkicker in 1966 and 1968. From 1969 he spent two seasons with VFA 1st division side Dandenong.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Hi PRE,

I've been informed that Paddy has had a stroke and is in hospital but is doing well.

Whilst Paddy is not a player I am familiar with, here's a Wikipedia snippet for those who don't know him.

Paddy, the Big #1, was a favourite of mine in the "60s.

He's a true Tiger and we all wish him a speedy recovery and a long and healthy future.

Paddy played with an enigmatic zeal. A bit like Richo.

I recall that when I received my first guernsey my father asked me which number I wanted on the back.

I said just one and his assumption was I would have perhaps #4 in recognition of Royce Hart although I'm sure father's preference was #24, Billy Barrot.

I said, "#1 will do thanks".

Reactions: 7 users

tigeronaharley

Tiger Superstar
Jan 29, 2005
LAIDLEY HEIGHTS.QLD
Yep used to watch Paddy in the 60's..he was generally full forward & I will never forget his 'BIG ' hands...ah the days of Duffle-coats & badges...build a bonfire, build a bonfire put the......................

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Paddy was my first Richmond hero, he was a solid guy with big arms.
I read somewhere that we have Paddy to thank for Jimmy Jess playing with us............Jimmy was another hero of mine.
Get well soon Paddy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Yep used to watch Paddy in the 60's..he was generally full forward & I will never forget his 'BIG ' hands...ah the days of Duffle-coats & badges...build a bonfire, build a bonfire put the......................

and wagga wagga wagga, whiskers on ya toga,

well a who are, who are, who are we!

we are the boys from the MCG.

R I C H M O N D (spelt out)!

there were plenty of other great chants in that era which I can recall.

happytige

Tiger Superstar
May 1, 2005
Sad to hear this news.
Paddy Guinane was a hero in our family throughout the 1960’s. He was a larger than life character.
Like Richo, he was the son of a Tiger hero and he was an exceptional mark. Unfortunately, also like Richo, we never knew where his kicks would go, but he still managed to be a valuable goal kicker. Paddy played through the bad and good times at Richmond during the 60’s and had that special X factor that we Tiger supporters loved.

Reactions: 6 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Paddy would come down to training sessions in the early 80's at Richmond amateurs.
At the back of Richmond tech he would coach Boxing too.
Sensational bloke.

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

Paddy played with an enigmatic zeal. A bit like Richo.

Including the ability to miss a set shot from 15 metres (or yards as was the case back then)

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Don’t have much of a memory as a player but I remember that the Tiger fans in my family loved him. Took some big marks over the years evidently.
I recall one member of my family saying that Paddy made Richo look like a great kick for goal

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Had No. 1 on my first footy jumper. Paddy was my idol. Seemed like a giant to me but I was maybe 6 or 7 years old. Did the usual thing, got his autograph and said hello at every opportunity.

Absolute gentleman. I believe he was a school teacher (from my fading memory).

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Wow thats sad news Mr Guinane as we called him was our year 7 & 8 school teacher at Richmond tech in the late 70's

wow hope he is ok

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Endorse heaps of the prior posts here on the first great Richmond forward hero in my lifetime, followed for more years by radio than TV. Paddy Guinane started this line in my supporter career and was a genuine hero: big, powerful mark and highly problematic kick.
The succession hasn't been too bad though: Hart, D.Cloke, M.Roach, Richo, Riewoldt, Lynch. (A couple of others worthy of special mention too e.g. Eric Moore, Alan Edwards, Jeff Hogg).