Parkin rewriting History | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Parkin rewriting History

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I think that there are a few of us who still see the 1982 Grand final as a missed opportunity . 29 years and it still sticks in the gullet.

On a show on Fox earlier in the week with Dunstall , Lynch and Brad Scott they have a section where David Parkin talks about coaching in the past . This week he talked about making surprise moves. As an example he said that in 1982 Bruce Tempany had played on Bosustow and had far the better of him twice during the season so he decided to play Bosustow off the bench in the GF and ruin our structures . There was no interchange in 1982 as I recall. He said it gave them the element of surprise and helped them a lot . He said that he had to bring Bosustow on later for an injury and he then played very well and helped them win .

The part he forgot to tell was that Bruce Tempany had his arm broken early in the game when McConville stamped on it and was off the ground when Bosustow came on . It just annoyed me that he took credit for what was bad luck in reality . I always thought that Tempany's injury may have cost us the game , along with the rain and that stripper/ streaker incident.

Got to let it go I guess ;D. Parkin just annoys me for some reason.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Sintiger said:
I think that there are a few of us who still see the 1982 Grand final as a missed opportunity . 29 years and it still sticks in the gullet.

On a show on Fox earlier in the week with Dunstall , Lynch and Brad Scott they have a section where David Parkin talks about coaching in the past . This week he talked about making surprise moves. As an example he said that in 1982 Bruce Tempany had played on Bosustow and had far the better of him twice during the season so he decided to play Bosustow off the bench in the GF and ruin our structures . There was no interchange in 1982 as I recall. He said it gave them the element of surprise and helped them a lot . He said that he had to bring Bosustow on later for an injury and he then played very well and helped them win .

The part he forgot to tell was that Bruce Tempany had his arm broken early in the game when McConville stamped on it and was off the ground when Bosustow came on . It just annoyed me that he took credit for what was bad luck in reality . I always thought that Tempany's injury may have cost us the game , along with the rain and that stripper/ streaker incident.

Got to let it go I guess ;D. Parkin just annoys me for some reason.

Remembering that it was from Parkin's perspective, it seems partially correct from his perspective, though not from others.

As I recall, Bosustow was brought off the bench when Ditchburn was knocked unconscious by Martello.

When Bosustow came on, he was picked up by one of Keane, Landy or Shane Williams, but I can't remember which.

However, this was part of a much more complicated restructuring of the Carlton forward half, including Fitzpatrick to CHF, Maclure to FF, and WOW Jones into the ruck. Bosustow went to a hff, where I recall now that Keane might have picked him up.

From the Tiger perspective, Tempany was the key to negating David Glascott, not Bosustow.
Tempany was the only Tiger that could match Glascott for pace. When Tempany went off, we had no match for Glascott, and of course Glascott prevailed.

Everyone has different views on the '82 GF.

But for us, it was a GF where we were favourites, and lost.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Phantom said:
Remembering that it was from Parkin's perspective, it seems partially correct from his perspective, though not from others.

As I recall, Bosustow was brought off the bench when Ditchburn was knocked unconscious by Martello.

When Bosustow came on, he was picked up by one of Keane, Landy or Shane Williams, but I can't remember which.

However, this was part of a much more complicated restructuring of the Carlton forward half, including Fitzpatrick to CHF, Maclure to FF, and WOW Jones into the ruck. Bosustow went to a hff, where I recall now that Keane might have picked him up.

From the Tiger perspective, Tempany was the key to negating David Glascott, not Bosustow.
Tempany was the only Tiger that could match Glascott for pace. When Tempany went off, we had no match for Glascott, and of course Glascott prevailed.

Everyone has different views on the '82 GF.

But for us, it was a GF where we were favourites, and lost.
It was so long ago , why do I remember it like it was yesterday ?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Sintiger said:
It was so long ago , why do I remember it like it was yesterday ?

Never seen the replay and only have a handful of memories from the day. The rain, the fights, the streaker...

Parkin should be proud of that flag because Carlton were the lesser team. Bourke in his debut year might've fired all his ammo in the semi and figured he only had to repeat.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Baloo said:
No Helen D'amico, No Carlton

Actually, in fact the opposite.
The third quarter began with a run of goals to Carlton.
Then D'amico ran onto the ground and stopped Carlton's momentum.
She was the best thing that could have happened for the Tiges at that point.

If you had to define a moment when the Tigers lost the game, it is about 10 minutes to go in the last quarter.
The Tiges had fought back to get within 4 points of the Blues.
At that point, Landy carrying the ball out of defence sees no options in front of him so he decides to kick it across ground to Keane in the clear.
Landy grubs the kick. It spills along the ground.
I can't remember if it was directly Bosustow or not, but Carlton do intercept at that point and Bosustow kicks the goal that blows the lead back out to 10 points.
I think Carlton kicked another goal after that, then Rioli kicked a goal in the dying minute.

That's how I remember it.
I've seen snippets of videos but these are what my memories are of that day.

As I said a couple of years, my better memory of the day was entertaining two young men before and after the game. One was big John Ironmoger, before he wrecked his knee, and a young Dan Foley.

michael roach

Tiger Superstar
Oct 6, 2009
We have a few "what if" type statements from the 1982 Grand Final.

Francis Bourke`s "fitness test" on Mickey Malthouse, where he finally succeeded in ripping his shoulder out.

The rain, I think it was the first Saturday in that 1982 season when it rained.

Wayne Harmes being moved onto KB after KB was threatening to run riot early on.

Tempany getting his arm broken.

Not playing Brian Taylor.

As Phantom said, the streaker ran on after a run of Carlton goals at the start of the third and they had just hit the front after we had a half time lead, that`s why Wayne Johnston grabbed her and flung her angrily by the scarf.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Phantom said:
As I said a couple of years, my better memory of the day was entertaining two young men before and after the game. One was big John Ironmoger, before he wrecked his knee, and a young Dan Foley.
Why were you 'entertaining' them Phant? I remember we were after Ironmonger before he was snapped up by Sydney. Foley was going to replace Cloke as our chf but was a complete dud. Palm was going to replace Raines too!

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
tigertim said:
Why were you 'entertaining' them Phant?

Both were my age.
They were guests of the old Richmond Social Cricket Club.

The then RCC Vice Presidents, Reg Sherlock & Perce Hawkins knew me well.
They asked me to entertain them.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Re: Parkin rewriting History

Moulded Souls said:
Goodness me, did you teach him that raw steak trick? :eek:

???

What is the raw steak trick?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

Phantom said:
???

What is the raw steak trick?

That infamous pic of Ironmonger eating a raw steak as a promo for a Swans game.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

tigertim said:

Ha!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

tigertim said:

I think that was for the exhibition game in Canada - same one where Steve O'Dwyer appealed to any girls in the crowd at the post-match presentation to come back to the players' hotel!  :help

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Phantom said:
Dan Foley has had a couple on mentions on here of late.

I can remember getting really excited about him as a prospect especially after Cloke defected at the end of 1982 .Had everything I thought but just didn't come on.

That whole Collingwood war cost us plenty and you could argue that we are still paying for it with Travis Cloke running around for them. It ruined the club financially as well. David Cloke , Raines , Taylor and now Travis Cloke for who ? Phillip Walsh , Craig Stewart , John Annear, Peter McCormack , Terry Keays ??? Its a horror story really .

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Sintiger said:
Dan Foley has had a couple on mentions on here of late.

I can remember getting really excited about him as a prospect especially after Cloke defected at the end of 1982 .Had everything I thought but just didn't come on.

That whole Collingwood war cost us plenty and you could argue that we are still paying for it with Travis Cloke running around for them. It ruined the club financially as well. David Cloke , Raines , Taylor and now Travis Cloke for who ? Phillip Walsh , Craig Stewart , John Annear, Peter McCormack , Terry Keays ??? Its a horror story really .

Yes.

I didn't see alot of Dan Foley playing as I spent much of time he was at Tigerland living in Europe.
I do remember picking up a newspaper in Australia House and reading that he kicked 6 or so goals in a game against Essendon in the wet.

He may not have made it big at Tigerland but I recall that he did go back home and do extremely well in in the pre-Weagles WAFL.

My other recollection is that the Tigers then were very big on picking up interstate players on 3 year contracts - Rolfe. Palm, Foley, Mitchell, Wilson, to name just five - that eventually sent the club down, financially.

To me, again, the key was that the post-1980 RFC administration lost focus on developing junior players.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Phantom said:
Yes.

I didn't see alot of Dan Foley playing as I spent much of time he was at Tigerland living in Europe.
I do remember picking up a newspaper in Australia House and reading that he kicked 6 or so goals in a game against Essendon in the wet.

He may not have made it big at Tigerland but I recall that he did go back home and do extremely well in in the pre-Weagles WAFL.

My other recollection is that the Tigers then were very big on picking up interstate players on 3 year contracts - Rolfe. Palm, Foley, Mitchell, Wilson, to name just five - that eventually sent the club down, financially.

To me, again, the key was that the post-1980 RFC administration lost focus on developing junior players.

Not just the interstaters but blokes who were either past it or were never going to make it.

From memory payed big bucks for guys like Michael Roberts, Andrew Cross, Jeff Dunne, Peter McCormack, Rohan Burke, Geoff and Kevin Ablett, Dean Dugdale, Daryl Sutton, Alan Martello, Ross Brewer amongst others, all blokes who didn't play much footy for us and cost us plenty. Then you had the guys from Collingwood, Peter Francis, Chris Burton and Michael McKenna from Footscray, Mark Eustice....the list goes on.

About 12 months ago I quoted a newspapar article I had which interviewed Kevin Dixon during the Save our Skins campaign (i think thats who it was) which showed how what GR wanted he would get. We apparently used our Esso sponsorship to get Daryl Sutton who was finished by then. cost a fortune. And then there was a quote by Ian Wilson after our recruiting officier came back from WA with a recommendation to sign a player over there. Octa's response was "Richmond don't recruit half back flankers". that player was Ken Hunter.

Been paying for that incompetence ever since.

Moulded Souls

Tiger Cub
Jan 21, 2011

tigertim said:

Wasn't it in the US before an exhibition game? v. Geelong perhaps

serpico66

I'm a llama!
Oct 8, 2003
Let's not forget that disgrace to the famous #10 Tim Gepp. From memory he was on 100k in 1983. I recall with horror the thrashing we received at Princes Park in Rd 1 1983 after losing Cloke Raines and Wood. Palm and Gepp were brought in to replace those superstars. The rest is history

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Ah, yeh, Tim Gepp. I remember Tim Gepp.

As Dyer would say, a good ordinary footballer.