Parkin rewriting History | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Parkin rewriting History

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
serpico66 said:
Let's not forget that disgrace to the famous #10 Tim Gepp. From memory he was on 100k in 1983. I recall with horror the thrashing we received at Princes Park in Rd 1 1983 after losing Cloke Raines and Wood. Palm and Gepp were brought in to replace those superstars. The rest is history

Doubt he would have been on that much but yes, I remembe being delusional and falling for the hype that Palm would replace Raines, Foley replace Cloke and Gepp replace Wood!

EJC

Tiger Rookie
Dec 1, 2010
Ballarat
I think we can all lose ourselves in wondering what on earth happened post '82. I know I was so retrospectively incensed (now that's a strange emotion) that I wrote a piece for Inside Sport back in 2005 that attempted to get to the bottom of our seemingly perpetual mediocrity.

If anyone is interested, I uploaded it a couple of years ago - just use the + (zoom) function to blow it up to a readable state:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22009465/The-state-of-Richmond-Tigers-Inside-Sport

Naturally, the chief protagonist GR was long dead by then. Francis Bourke did his best to absolve GR from the mayhem that descended in the summer of '82 but other RFC luminaries have subsequently suggested the rot set in as far back as the Pitura wrangle.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
EJC said:
I think we can all lose ourselves in wondering what on earth happened post '82. I know I was so retrospectively incensed (now that's a strange emotion) that I wrote a piece for Inside Sport back in 2005 that attempted to get to the bottom of our seemingly perpetual mediocrity.

If anyone is interested, I uploaded it a couple of years ago - just use the + (zoom) function to blow it up to a readable state:

Naturally, the chief protagonist GR was long dead by then. Francis Bourke did his best to absolve GR from the mayhem that descended in the summer of '82 but other RFC luminaries have subsequently suggested the rot set in as far back as the Pitura wrangle.
That's great EJC , what a read even though it was so depressing recalling each disaster .

In reading this thread its amazing the number of ordinary footballers we have recruited to the Club .

serpico66

I'm a llama!
Oct 8, 2003
It seems that the players couldn't cope with an ex-teammate being their coach and a disciplinarian one at that.

I recall David Cloke being interviewed on World of Sport after leaving the club moaning that he felt he was being treated like a child by Bourke (I am paraphrasing). One example he gave is that Francis forced them to watch next weeks opponent and take notes on the players they would be oppssed to next week.

Maybe Francis was just ahead of his time.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
serpico66 said:
It seems that the players couldn't cope with an ex-teammate being their coach and a disciplinarian one at that.

There was quite a bit of angst among the players from memory. Bartlett was unhappy about being played off the bench, due to Bourke's theory that he wasn't able to run out a full game.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Though many of my recollections from this time have faded, the sense that Sheedy had been lost to the RFC, after being an assistant coach in 1980 wore heavily.

It was felt that if action wasn't taken to retain Bourke, that he'd be lost too.

That pushed the club into replacing Jewell with Bourke.

Of course, Sheedy and Bourke were very different types -
Bourke the Spartan with stealth and discipline,
Sheedy the Athenian with wisdom and new ideas.

I remember that word came out during 1982 that there was a rift between the drinkers and the non-drinkers,
and there was angst at the money Rioli was getting, compared to key others.

The rest is history.

EJC

Tiger Rookie
Dec 1, 2010
Ballarat
Yes, true enough Phantom.

Raines has subsequently gone on record to state he wasn't asking for 'more' as it were, just an amount equal to what RFC was paying Rioli. Given Raines was a triple B&F winner and premiership player, I dare say his request was not out of order.

Of course, GR's theory was that you needed to keep blokes under pressure...bring in Monteath to turn up the heat on Sheedy, bring in Taylor to turn up the heat on Roach, etc., and likewise with Rioli. This sort of tactic went back years.

Cloke, and Wood (to lesser extent), felt that Bourke was too tough and/or belittling them at times and Francis has taken a fair amount of blame for the fallout, to his credit. For his part, GR thought Cloke's game in the '82 GF was exceptionally poor and let everyone know about it. Once the offer of a better quid came Cloke's way, he was gone for dust.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
I kind of remember GR's comments about Cloke and remember being quite miffed about them.

Cloke in that 2nd quarter was instrumental in getting us back into the game, especially in the wet.

Roach was largely ineffective up on a HFF, with Perovic breathing down his neck.
And Jess at CHF hadn't done much, except, I suppose, knock out Hunter and a couple of others.

Unless I've forgotten something, Cloke was the only key forward who fired on that rainy day.
Memory tells me Cloke kicked 3.
I think Bartlett & Rioli kicked 3 each too.
And you can raffle the rest.

Cloke was my last favourite Richmond player.
I refused to have another favourite Richmond player after that.
Except until last year.
Dustin Martin is something very special.
And it makes it special that I felt strongly about him before the recruiting dept did. ;)

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
EJC said:

Thanks for supplying that. A bit of a depressing read, hopefully, finally the building blocks have now been put in place

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
There is a video of Richo interviewing Disco Roach on the RFC website where Roachy has a few interesting things to say about the 1982 Grand Final .

He said that we were a very big side and each time it rained during the game we struggled amongst other comments .

LandyJessKeane

Tiger Rookie
Dec 21, 2004
Sintiger said:
There is a video of Richo interviewing Disco Roach on the RFC website where Roachy has a few interesting things to say about the 1982 Grand Final .

He said that we were a very big side and each time it rained during the game we struggled amongst other comments .

I remember that Qualifying Final where our forwards were way to good for them. Cloke and Roach.

Im tormented by the fact that we won that last final so easily but as much as we were favourites we lost to Carlton and Hawthorn twice that year. From memory badly.

Mick Malthouse would have been handy in that game. Given the conditions, replacing Taylor for Sartori may have been a good move.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Sintiger said:

It's very true what Roach said. If you watch the replay the game started wet, but when the rain stopped and the surface started to drain we got right on top. Then it starts raining again and the rest is history.

It was the only game where there was wet weather footy in 82, bearing in mind that season was during our 'other' great drought. In those days we spent so much recruiting time trying to get Michael Aish over here and Neville Roberts to return. Aish was on a form 4 agreement the whole time but never had the ticker to try his hand over here.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
frickenel said:
It's very true what Roach said. If you watch the replay the game started wet, but when the rain stopped and the surface started to drain we got right on top. Then it starts raining again and the rest is history.

It was the only game where there was wet weather footy in 82, bearing in mind that season was during our 'other' great drought. In those days we spent so much recruiting time trying to get Michael Aish over here and Neville Roberts to return. Aish was on a form 4 agreement the whole time but never had the ticker to try his hand over here.
Dont remember trying to get Roberts back.