Part of Jack Dyer Comentary - word for word! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Part of Jack Dyer Comentary - word for word!

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
This is a word for word comentary by Jack Dyer during the 78 Grand Final.
It's taken from an article written by Geoff Slattery in the Age back in 1981.

Though it might interest some, certainly brought back some memories of his 3KZ days for me.

"On the kick out, it's out towards the wing position, the pack fly again, over the top of the pack and a good mark has been taken here. It looks like....it is....Cowton with the ball. He immediately handballs it in the air, away they go as Henshaw comes down the ground. He's going for the short pass. It's not a good one at all. It's punched away by Martella (sic). Another punch up in the air. In goes Demper........dipier....ier.....domenico....in after it again"
"Up they go in the air, it goes over the top of the pack and the mark has been taken. Here's a handball going across, gets it across to Moore, Moore has a bounce, two bounces, comes right up the field. He's looking for a kick here to Ablett, Ablett makes position beautifully too, and he's got the ball Ablett, right on the wing position again, here's the kick by Ablett, sending it right up. He's getting pushed out of the road, Moncrieff again. It goes down the ground. In they go in after it. A chance for a handpess, gets it across to Russo, Russo lines em up, kicks into the man coming towards him. Knights comes in, he's showing plenty of pace, too Knights, at this stage. He picks it up, he's tried to playon, he's got pulled by the leg, the umpire gives a handpass to Hendrie......"

From the same article:

....Ask Jack about his family, his friends, his other life, he just smiles , mumbles a few lines and then looks blankly at you - waiting for the next question. His wife of more than 30 years, Sybil, died 10 years ago. His friends say her death left him flat. Says Dyer slowly: "Everything was all nice until she died. Suddenly it was..."

and this about an incident in his playing days against Carlton (same article)......
"We were playing out at Carlton, and i had to catch a train to the ground. You had to in those days. I only had a deener, and i caught the train out there. Then i looked out the window, and i couldn't see any houses. I though, "this is not Carlton". Eventually the train stopped at Reservoir. I didn't know what to do. Eventually a bloke put me on the right one, and i arrived just in time.

On the field i went, getting into the game. I was so riled up, i had a lovely time. Blokes were going down everywhere. Anyway. we won easily, and i've left the ground feeling marvellous. On the train again, and you wouldn't believe it - the carriage is full of Carlton supporters. They never stopped abusing me - kids, old ladies, the works. One bloke said to me: "You must have eaten your own babies, Dyer"
I said to him: " Me. I'm gentle. I go to church on Sundays." The train stopped. I was out like a shot, and into the next carriage. It was full of Richmond supporters. The rest of the trip home was lovely."