Pick 53: Jack Graham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 53: Jack Graham

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Guys, don't fall for the media's BS.

This presents as a classic media beat up - Richmond secures a blockbuster trade for 2 gun midfielders, so the media can either praise or criticise the move. Praise won't get clicks here. So, the "cost" and fears of "what we'll give up" make for a very easy position for anyone with half a brain in the media to take. So that's the position they take.

#1 - let's report that Richmond could lose all their draft picks this year and next... oh damn, that didn't get many clicks because supporters think it's a good idea in this context given out history and current list position.

Okay... #2 - let's report they might be losing some players. Which players? Bolton? Nah... the stars will stay because stars want to play with stars. I know, young mids who feel like they won't get a game. Boom - "word has it Jack Graham is considering a move"

So... it takes 2 seconds to figure out that a Jack Graham story is always going to pop up in today's media landscape.

Don't give them oxygen.
Below post is from a relative of Grahams
He's open to a move if the money is right. Pull home factor is there and it's real. Family time and next generation is the key.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
How about we trade for Bowes and pick 7 , keep puck 7 an on trade Bowes :))

FWIW reading the tea leaves I think JG will go home

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
The emergence of Ross as a more polished player this season probably hasnt helped his cause either ,

they have often been described here as being very similar types .
Ross 8.2 average kicks over 15 games this season suggests he is a bit of a way off .

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
I'm not happy about the club asking Graham to explore his options.
The kid won us a flag.
Is that confirmed? Dimma love JG. Anyone that without hesitating goes back out on the field with a totally non functioning shoulder just to help the team wouldn’t be cast aside??

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Fridge reminds me so much of Drew Banfield it isn't funny. Their careers are following an amazingly similar trajectory.

Banfield was a gun midfielder. He was classes above WAFL level when he was drafted. He was actually very versatile and could play virtually any role in the midfield. The knock on him was that he was slow and his kicking could let him down. Sound familiar. The one thing he could do was play footy. His anticipation and reading of the play more than made up for any apparent lack of speed.

When he was drafted, the Eagles needed a replacement defensive midfielder for Dwyane Lamb. Malthouse assigned the role to Banfield, which he accepted and played extremely well. But his ability was clearly underutilised in that role. If Banfield had gone to a club that encouraged free-wheeling unaccountable midfielders like St Kilda, it is a big call but I think he could have been a Brownlow contender. He was as good as Bairstow, no doubt about it.

Just as Banfield was starting to emerge from that defensive role at West Coast he suffered a knee injury which plagued him for the rest of his career. It also consigned him to playing that role for basically the rest of his AFL career. He did play forward quite effectively in his later years.

Banfield was an outstanding clubman who would sacrifice anything he had for the team. Despite injury taking a massive toll, Worsfold named Banfield in the 2006 Grand Final team for his last AFL game because of his experience and leadership. I can recall Worsfold copping some criticism over the selection and saying that they had no choice, because the players effectively made the selection. They wanted him out there.

Anyone who thinks that Graham is expendable, that there is no room for him in the current team if Taranto and Hopper arrive, needs to think of what Banfield was to the Eagles. The Eagles had some outstanding midfielders during his time, bu Banfield was lways there amongst it.

Fridge brings a huge amount to the team, and will do so for as long as he plays with us. I am sure the other clubs looking at him aren't just looking at the player, they are looking at a lot of other intangibles.

This is our 2022 'Whale Roberts' moment. I hope we don't stuff it up.

Reactions: 31 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Fridge reminds me so much of Drew Banfield it isn't funny. Their careers are following an amazingly similar trajectory.

Banfield was a gun midfielder. He was classes above WAFL level when he was drafted. He was actually very versatile and could play virtually any role in the midfield. The knock on him was that he was slow and his kicking could let him down. Sound familiar. The one thing he could do was play footy. His anticipation and reading of the play more than made up for any apparent lack of speed.

When he was drafted, the Eagles needed a replacement defensive midfielder for Dwyane Lamb. Malthouse assigned the role to Banfield, which he accepted and played extremely well. But his ability was clearly underutilised in that role. If Banfield had gone to a club that encouraged free-wheeling unaccountable midfielders like St Kilda, it is a big call but I think he could have been a Brownlow contender. He was as good as Bairstow, no doubt about it.

Just as Banfield was starting to emerge from that defensive role at West Coast he suffered a knee injury which plagued him for the rest of his career. It also consigned him to playing that role for basically the rest of his AFL career. He did play forward quite effectively in his later years.

Banfield was an outstanding clubman who would sacrifice anything he had for the team. Despite injury taking a massive toll, Worsfold named Banfield in the 2006 Grand Final team for his last AFL game because of his experience and leadership. I can recall Worsfold copping some criticism over the selection and saying that they had no choice, because the players effectively made the selection. They wanted him out there.

Anyone who thinks that Graham is expendable, that there is no room for him in the current team if Taranto and Hopper arrive, needs to think of what Banfield was to the Eagles. The Eagles had some outstanding midfielders during his time, bu Banfield was lways there amongst it.

Fridge brings a huge amount to the team, and will do so for as long as he plays with us. I am sure the other clubs looking at him aren't just looking at the player, they are looking at a lot of other intangibles.

This is our 2022 'Whale Roberts' moment. I hope we don't stuff it up.
What alot also dont take into consideration is would jack Graham be so expendable if Trent Cotchin had retired this year ?
I think not.

Im not saying we dont trade him as every player has a price and has the right to leave
but if a club was to offer Graham what we did for taranto/Hopper and he wanted to go then wish him the best but demand a top 10 pick.

Freo did this with Weller & Hill and thats what we should be doing

Reactions: 2 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I'm not happy about the club asking Graham to explore his options.
The kid won us a flag.
Did this really happen ?
Or is it another bigooty/trade radio/sen rumour

He had Crows , Bombers , Carlton and Suns offering him good money last time out of contract and signed for less to stay

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
So Gold Coast are offering pick 7? That is one helluva salary cap dump. What's the catch here?

You have to pay a bloke $1.2m to play vfl for 2 years.

So your a man short on your list, and the kid you take at 7,

Is essentially on $750k a year for 2 years.

List management bedlam,

The punt is pick 7 is essentially a star, which is unlikely

Doesnt stack up for a functional club,

But a dream offer for north melbourne

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I feel like i'm taking crazy pills when it comes to our supporters opinions on Graham. How could someone not see an uptick in productivity if we switched Graham for Hopper. We heavily rely on poor Dion to do the heavy lifting of our midfield because Graham has been unable to take the next step.

Our centre clearance work is a massive weakness for us.

Lets look at both players uninterrupted 2021 seasons

2021 seasonGrahamHopper
Kicks10.013.5
Handballs9.012.8
Disposals19.026.4
Contested Possessions6.012.0
Centre Clearances0.72.3
Stoppage clearances1.14.1
Tackles5.53.8
One percenters0.70.9

What Hopper is going to offer us as a mid compared to Graham is chalk and cheese. One is a high productivity clearance mid, and the other applies pressure because he can't get the ball.

Out of respect for Jack,

I think you should include a 'premierships' column?

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Did this really happen ?
Or is it another bigooty/trade radio/sen rumour

He had Crows , Bombers , Carlton and Suns offering him good money last time out of contract and signed for less to stay
Clubs don't have to say anything these days.
The player managers are the ones that feed the players.
Hey Jack, Adelaide called more money more years u interested??
Contacts these days mean nothing
Players get promised more opportunities, more money, more security etc and then they ask the club if they can move. But in orther cases like Jared Polec who is sitting back earning 700k doing sweet FA and earning 700k Nth can't get rid of him and he isn't walking away from 700k
He is the king.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021

List management bedlam,

Huge risk and with the things you mentioned.
Our club couldnt afford to be 2 player's down and paying a C grade player 600k.
Not many at the club would be happy with that happening.
That's a Richmond of 2001 or 2003 doing not Richmond of 2022 doing.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
The end came quickly for Grigg, Lambert and Edwards. Cotchin could fall off a cliff next year. Forward planning says you keep Fridge because Riley and Dow aren't going to get to that level, and Ross is still a plain wrap version.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I hope Jack stays.......he's a Richmond man.

TIGERS STAR BACKS TEAMMATE TO STAY

Richmond star Jack Riewoldt says the club needs to hang on to teammate Jack Graham, despite rumours rivals are circling.

With GWS duo Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto trying to land at Tigerland for 2023 and beyond, there’s fears the additions could force a selection squeeze.

And one player who could get caught up is Graham.

Already with the likes of Dustin Martin, Shai Bolton and Dion Prestia playing mid-forward and Trent Cotchin going on for another season, the new Giants duo could cause some selection headaches.

But Riewoldt believes there’s enough room for Graham to stay – and he hopes he does as he sees the 24-year-old as a potential future captain.

“I firmly believe that Jack Graham is going to be a very good player for us going forward,” Riewoldt told SEN Tassie.

“Fridge, that’s his nickname, he can play anywhere. It’s just finding the right balance of those inside mids.

“I would be absolutely flat (if he left).

“He is a great person, and a player we firmly believe could be a good leader – possible captain material.”

Graham was recruited by the Tigers from South Australia and was already a two-time premiership player by the age of 22.

When going through the draft process, Graham was once likened to a young Luke Hodge and infamously played in a grand final in just his fifth AFL game after playing a starring role for Richmond late in his 2017 debut season.

Earlier this week, Sam Edmund reported Graham was “gettable” by rivals if an attractive offer was presented.

Graham still has one more year to run on his Richmond deal.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021

List management bedlam,

Doesn't stack up for a functional club,

Wow, I was going to write this nearly exactly the same because I'm not comfortable with that scenario either.
You're at best paying a guy who plays 2-3 games in the seniors, maybe 3-4 as the medical sub and you're paying him $1.2M-$1.6M for two years.
It was in the wording of the news they're open to letting Bowes go - "A heavily back-ended' deal so we're not talking about $300-400K a year, we're talking $600K+, too me that means heavily back-ended.
And then at the end of 2023 - Bolton, Balta, Nank, Graham, Pickett and Broad all come out of contract and if you're their agents you will say to the club - 'If Jack Bowes is worth $600-$700K to you a year, we ALL want $1M, Bolton and Balta maybe $1M+.

I mean we don't want to cause disharmony in the group do we? We want to keep Bolton and Balta, we need something left for them.

How will Bowes get a game if Taranto and Hopper, a fit Dusty are all available to the team that finished the season :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

List management bedlam,

So I take pick 7 & then bundle that with 12, I give that to West Coast who thank me & take Busslinger & Hewett, I then pick Cadman who is overlooked by the Kangas because they are caught up in the Clarkson scandal. Taranto comes for next year's first & Hopper comes for 19 & Soldo. Hardwick then comes over & thanks me for addressing the shortfall in forwards, Cadman spends a year with Jack to cut his teeth.

If that's bedlam then sign me up! If you can't trim the fat to make that work then it's a missed opportunity in my view. If you're not exploring options like moving Castagna or someone peripheral then you are not seeing the big picture. In two years the club might be in a pickle with Lynch & Jack on the verge of retirement. This topic doesn't just disappear because the club has a midfield shortfall. Bowes is potentially Mr Fixit, a free kick so to speak. There is a god if Clarke responds in kind.

• Haha