Possible State League Recruits 2012 drafts | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Possible State League Recruits 2012 drafts

tigs2010

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2009
Anyone got any suggestions for state league recruits around the country.

Tom Lee is really starting to put some impressive form together. 194cm? KPF from Claremont who I'd think would be a pretty good replacement for Miller/McGuane. Only 22 by start of next year so is really ready to step up to AFL. Kicked 3 against Port Melbourne in Foxtel Cup on the weekend, 7 in the WAFL week before and kicked 4 against Freo playing for the spuds vs the seniors. (Though he was on Zac Dawson so maybe he wasn't on the spuds team :hihi)

One guy I was alerted to last night who may fill a need and will probably be available in the rookie draft is 23 year old Sandringham Ruckman Michael Sikora. 206cm/103kg ex-basketballer. Looks a good tap ruckman, pretty agile and can take a grab. Foot skills look decent too but realistically they aren't going to put shanks in his highlight reel. ;)

Nathan Batsanis is another who would add to our depth. Also comes from some pretty successful teams. Was on Port's rookie list in 2007 (runners up) played for Port Melbourne when they had an undefeated flag and is now at Norwood (13W 1L)

Averaging 23 possessions/5 Clearances and has kicked 8.7 from 13 games as a midfielder. Is about 180cm/79kg would fill Webberley's back up midfielder role but is better and would be available in the rookie draft.

A couple from the Frakston Dolphins, Khan Haretuku (23) is a 199cm 100 odd kg ex St.Kilda rookie CHF you can take a great grab and lead well. Represented Vic against tassie and kicked 4.2. Can kick goals in clutch situations but suffers from lack of footy in the forward line due to playing in a poor team. Kurt Tippett

Kyle Martin (22) 182cm and 82kg classy outside goal kicking midfielder, has great kicking skills would be a great addition to our 2nd tier midfield. Tears it up at VFL and state level and is clearly ready for the next step.

tigs2010 said:

Tom Lee is really starting to put some impressive form together. 194cm? KPF from Claremont who I'd think would be a pretty good replacement for Miller/McGuane. Only 22 by start of next year so is really ready to step up to AFL. Kicked 3 against Port Melbourne in Foxtel Cup on the weekend, 7 in the WAFL week before and kicked 4 against Freo playing for the spuds vs the seniors. (Though he was on Zac Dawson so maybe he wasn't on the spuds team :hihi)

One guy I was alerted to last night who may fill a need and will probably be available in the rookie draft is 23 year old Sandringham Ruckman Michael Sikora. 206cm/103kg ex-basketballer. Looks a good tap ruckman, pretty agile and can take a grab. Foot skills look decent too but realistically they aren't going to put shanks in his highlight reel. ;)

I really like the look of this bloke as well. He follows up his tap work and actually puts a body on and can tackle (unlike graham obviously). If we can get a tap ruckman who can actually tackle, take a contested grab and do second efforts we should get this bloke as a rookie. Looks extremely agile for his height aswell.

FistFullOfDollars said:
A couple from the Frakston Dolphins, Khan Haretuku (23) is a 199cm 100 odd kg ex St.Kilda rookie CHF you can take a great grab and lead well. Represented Vic against tassie and kicked 4.2. Can kick goals in clutch situations but suffers from lack of footy in the forward line due to playing in a poor team. Kurt Tippett

Kyle Martin (22) 182cm and 82kg classy outside goal kicking midfielder, has great kicking skills would be a great addition to our 2nd tier midfield. Tears it up at VFL and state level and is clearly ready for the next step.
yeah, was going to mention haretuku. Been injury riddled til this year.

FistFullOfDollars said:

Haretuku was the guy I couldn't think of his bloody name. :hihi
Have you seen Batsanis at Port Melbourne? Would be interested to know how Martin and Batsanis stack up.

SCOOP said:
Shane Nelson & Mark Hutchings.
I liked Nelson last year at pick 26 :hihi
Can play in and out kicking was the issue but he'd be a handy replacement for Foley if we developed him physically.

If this helps I've watched every game of WAFL , SANFL and VFL games this year on the ABC plus the state games and here are some of the players that have caught my eye.

From the WAFL

Max Duffy East Fremantle 20-21 HFF
Duffy is a creative HFF with real pace (just the type we need) who would be a lot better in an AFL environment.
Have no hesitation using a 3rd or 4th rounder on him in the ND.

Jack Perham East Fremantle 20ish CHF
Was on Collingwood's rookie list for a year but was let go who knows why.
Has shown AFL level ability at times and is certainly one for a rookie chance

Cameron Manuell Perth 22-23 HBF
First time I saw him play and his decision making, composure and disposal was of a higher grade than WAFL level.
Maybe I caught him on a good day so will reserve judgment until I see him more

As mentioned earlier here are my thoughts on Hutchings, Nelson and Lee

Hutchings is a hard worker who makes good decisions and runs all day whether he has AFL qualities is another matter.
Nelson is similar to Hutchings but with a higher ceiling. If there was one knock on him it was his ball drop when kicking. The kicks tend to float over a longer distance. He actually reminds me of Shane Edwards.
Lee is an interesting one cos there are times he shows A grade ability and other times you know why he's at WAFL level
Maybe with more maturity he'll get another chance certainly as a rookie.

From the SANFL

James Boyd 23-24 Centrals rover
Would be the perfect replacement if Foley doesn't come up. Is a ball magnet who kicks well on both feet and makes good decisions. Has the speed to breakaway from packs. Won the reserves Magarey and was 2nd in senior Magarey and did well in the state game this year.Have no hesitation in using a late ND pick on him.

Paul Marschall 19-20 Centrals HBF
Really good mover and kicks really well. Doesn't always hit targets but with more maturity will do so.I'd be surprised if he's not on an AFL list next year.

Dean Terlich 22-23 Norwood HBF
Attacking HBF who kicks well and decision making is good. Personally is just as good as Batchelor ,Dea and Morris.
Have no hesitation in using a rookie selection.

Jaryd Cachia 21ish Norwood on baller
A tucky clone but with better vision and decision making. Was on Carlton's rookie list for two years then let go.
He would do well playing under Hardwick

Kristian Thompson 22-23 North Adelaide HBF
Creative HBF who has the required disposal, decision making and composure skills to play at a higher level.Probably not a great defensive backman though. Reminds me of a poor mans Scott Chisholm but not as quick.

Sam Gray 20ish Port Adelaide small forward
Reads the play well, creative and decision making and kicking are good. The knock on him is his pace but he compensates for that with superior reading of the play. May need another year in the SANFL.

Scott Bricknell 24-25 West Adelaide HBF
I'm probably on my Pat Malone here but everytime I see him play I think he can play at a higher level. Considering his age maybe he's a late bloomer. Everytime he gets the ball he doesn't miss targets by hand or foot and his decisions are generally good.

From the VFL

Myles Sewell *
Chris Cain *
Sam Dwyer *

* It's criminal these three haven't been given an opportunity at AFL level. Recruiters should hang there heads in shame
Enough said. Remember we passed on our last rookie selection yet there are so many players available...Oh dear.

As been mentioned earlier Frankston of all teams may have 3 draftable prospects - Haretuku , Martin and Leigh Osbourne
Only seen them once in the state game and I'd say Osbourne impressed me the most. Franga on TV in a few weeks so may get a better idea then.

In the state game VFL v Tassie there were a couple of Tassie guys that impressed but I can't remember there names.
One was a Tassie state cricketer.

After the disaster of last week I hope that helps and if I can think of more I'll post them up.

Great write-up Dr Mad.

Duffy I believe is only 19 was last years draft. Missed out on character issues. East Freo had problems with his old man. He also rocked up late to a meeting in his thongs and a singlet from memory. I'm sure missing selection in the draft would have hurt a bit.

Well done Dr Mad. Don’t be a stranger, keep up the good work.

Don't get to see much WA footy but apparently Marlon Motlop is going pretty well over there. Brother of Daniel?

tigs2010 said:
Don't get to see much WA footy but apparently Marlon Motlop is going pretty well over there. Brother of Daniel?
Cousin, played for Port Power in 08/09.

Dr Mad said:
James Boyd 23-24 Centrals rover
Would be the perfect replacement if Foley doesn't come up. Is a ball magnet who kicks well on both feet and makes good decisions. Has the speed to breakaway from packs. Won the reserves Magarey and was 2nd in senior Magarey and did well in the state game this year.Have no hesitation in using a late ND pick on him.

getting our hands on someone like this is super important. We have one a half (the other is Nahas) good smalls at the club and it's hurting us.

tigs2010 said:

I totally agree.

tigs2010 said:
Great write-up Dr Mad.

Duffy I believe is only 19 was last years draft. Missed out on character issues. East Freo had problems with his old man. He also rocked up late to a meeting in his thongs and a singlet from memory. I'm sure missing selection in the draft would have hurt a bit.

Not sure on the exact details, but Duffy did ring some alarm bells with some weird behaviour.

Rumour has it that Myke Cook from Sandringham Zebras is on our radar. He was previously on the Adelaide Crows list.

22 year old inside midfielder. 184cm 83kg.