Punt Road Redevelopment | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Punt Road Redevelopment

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
It would be a crying shame if the new premises don't include space for an upgraded museum.
To my way of thinking, it's an essential part of RFC.
I still hold fond memories of being shown through the museum by Danny Frawley and Mark Brayshaw.

Reactions: 1 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
looking at the plans and video - are they recycling the bricks from the old stand ?

that would be a nice touch
I do hope they keep and re-hang the honour boards currently at the top of the Jack Dyer Stand.
Self-interest of course, as my name is printed on one of the boards. Still makes me feel chuffed.

Reactions: 1 user

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Now, that WOULD be a story.
Can't imagine it happening.
It would be the end of footy for me if PRO was no longer home to RFC

Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
All the leftist greenies that sit on councils to save a few trees will be up for a fight on this one. Just have to hope a few of them are Tigers supporters

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Where have all the “stand savers” been the last 60 years as the stand has become a decrepit wood-rot mess and had any amount of tacky alterations made to its original structure ?

Reactions: 1 users

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
All the leftist greenies that sit on councils to save a few trees will be up for a fight on this one. Just have to hope a few of them are Tigers supporters
I’d be more concerned about National Trust and Heritage groups. Tree removal can be managed. The grandstand is the issue.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Now, that WOULD be a story.
Can't imagine it happening.
It would be the end of footy for me if PRO was no longer home to RFC
Surely an ambit claim - but a big one at that.
Trouble with ambit claims is that if the other side calls your bluff - what then?
Hopefully it does the trick though.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I reckon they'll be hoping for more money from gov to cover stand preservation. That would be the best outcome for all.

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
The City of Melbourne has approved the demolition of the historic Jack Dyer Stand at Punt Road Oval as part of a redevelopment of the ground by the Richmond Tigers AFL club.The council will recommend to Planning Minister Richard Wynne that the $65 million redevelopment of the oval go ahead.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
The City of Melbourne has approved the demolition of the historic Jack Dyer Stand at Punt Road Oval as part of a redevelopment of the ground by the Richmond Tigers AFL club.The council will recommend to Planning Minister Richard Wynne that the $65 million redevelopment of the oval go ahead.
Good. Funny hearing Mitch Cleary (?) on Ch 7 news say that's it like the Pope leaving the Vatican. :mhihi

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Wynne's the Member for Richmond and a good fella, he'll wave it through.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
It’s a pity PRO isnt to be turned into a boutique ground of say 25-30,000 for us to play the lesser clubs like GWS, Suns, Freo and Collingwood.

Tiger Hammer

Tiger Cub
Apr 3, 2014
It’s a pity PRO isnt to be turned into a boutique ground of say 25-30,000 for us to play the lesser clubs like GWS, Suns, Freo and Collingwood.
I have thought this for some time as well TT.
Hopefully the planning leaves some room for expansion.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

I thought a 25,000 seat stadium was fanciful as soon as we got no support from AFL HQ and the home of women's football was chosen to be at Princess Park which is not unreasonable considering space for development even though it gives the Blues a huge leg up and makes me spew!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I thought a 25,000 seat stadium was fanciful as soon as we got no support from AFL HQ and the home of women's football was chosen to be at Princess Park which is not unreasonable considering space for development even though it gives the Blues a huge leg up and makes me spew!

Yeah, except that Princes Park is a tip. Seats from the 1930s and really run down. A renovated Punt Rd will be better.

DS

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah, except that Princes Park is a tip. Seats from the 1930s and really run down. A renovated Punt Rd will be better.

DS
Yeah. They may be doing something with the southern side of that dump, but the northern wing needs demolishing as well.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Finding enough room to expand and build stands even to accommodate that capacity would be very challenging I'd say being hemmed in by major roads, the railway station and MCG carpark/reserve.

Next problem would be, can you guarantee that size always going to be adequate for the Tiger Army, even allowing for a generous 500 opposition seats? [Imagine Tiges needing to beat, e.g. Freo, in final round to ensure a finals spot]