PVRs? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PVRs?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Tigers of Old said:
Finally bit the bullet & got rid of Foxtel. Now footy season is over I just can't justify it.
Now looking for a decent PVR to record FTA TV..
Anyone got any advice?

Ditched fox as well. whats a PVR? sounds like I need one 8-

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
tigersnake said:
Ditched fox as well. whats a PVR? sounds like I need one 8-
I thought it was some sort of rectal examination but turns out it’s a digital video recorder.

Wildcat

Tiger Superstar
Oct 25, 2012
depending if you want to keep a copy of the game - on DVD or something else later ... Do a bit or research on the formats the PVRs record in.
A lot have created their own mpeg2 algorithms. Which arent always compatible across other formats you may want to watch it on.

If you only want to keep it on the hard disc and never take it else where - then shouldn't be a problem.

about 6 years ago or so I ended up trying a few and had to settle on a panasonic blu-ray player with a burner - yes it was pricey. But it meant i could burn the tigers games to disc and send overseas. The other machines i looked at - you need a secondary coding program to get it to a format suitable for ie DVD. VLC may play these formats on your computer - but i havent tested.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Wildcat said:
depending if you want to keep a copy of the game - on DVD or something else later ... Do a bit or research on the formats the PVRs record in.
A lot have created their own mpeg2 algorithms. Which arent always compatible across other formats you may want to watch it on.

If you only want to keep it on the hard disc and never take it else where - then shouldn't be a problem.

about 6 years ago or so I ended up trying a few and had to settle on a panasonic blu-ray player with a burner - yes it was pricey. But it meant i could burn the tigers games to disc and send overseas. The other machines i looked at - you need a secondary coding program to get it to a format suitable for ie DVD. VLC may play these formats on your computer - but i havent tested.
I have no idea of what you just said.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Wildcat said:

Cheers Wildcat. I doubt I'll be burning too many DVDs but appreciate the advice.

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane
Tigers of Old said:
PVR stands for Personal Video Recorder.
Its basically a replacement for the Foxtel IQ.
Thinking of changing to a product called Fetch TV Mighty.
I have the Fetch TV through Optus, love the functionality - pausing live tv is great, as the large storage. It even has team tags for the footy, so I set it up to record all Richmond games automatically. We use it exclusively, and it has the built in Netflix, Stan, youtube apps as well as all the catch up channels.

The only downside was that I did have two previous gen boxes die on me though while attempting software updates, resulting in complete losses of all recordings and replacements. So far the new generation machine hasn't had any problems though.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Wildride said:
I have the Fetch TV through Optus, love the functionality - pausing live tv is great, as the large storage. It even has team tags for the footy, so I set it up to record all Richmond games automatically. We use it exclusively, and it has the built in Netflix, Stan, youtube apps as well as all the catch up channels.

The only downside was that I did have two previous gen boxes die on me though while attempting software updates, resulting in complete losses of all recordings and replacements. So far the new generation machine hasn't had any problems though.

Excellent to hear. Thanks.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Wildride said:
resulting in complete losses of all recordings and replacements.

I was pretty bummed sending my foxtel box back, had all the best wins from last 5 years on it

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Budget option is a cheap digital reciever with an external hard drive attached. I bought one at *smile* Smith for $40 and added a terabyte HDD. Virtually unlimited recording capacity in SD.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
Is there any way at all of transferring stuff from Foxtel IQ to an external source?

Wildcat

Tiger Superstar
Oct 25, 2012
Most likely you would need to play it out into a video capture card on computer. Again depends on the algothithm they use internally but getting a direct access to transfer the data would be a little tricky i think but not totaly sure.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
tigersnake said:
I was pretty bummed sending my foxtel box back, had all the best wins from last 5 years on it

I sent my faulty box back this afternoon.

QF, PF, GF went with it. :'(

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Tigertool said:
I sent my faulty box back this afternoon.

QF, PF, GF went with it. :'(

Mine too. Wasn't enough reason to keep paying Fox. Made sure I binged on watching them countless times first. I'll no doubt get the victory pack. Hopefully on Blue-Ray

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=record+live+stream&rlz=1C5CHFA_enAU567AU567&oq=record+live+stream&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.13048j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

some software here

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
YinnarTiger said:
I use a device known as a Grex "video stabilizer". This strips the macrovision part of the Foxtel signal or the output from the IQ box and sends the stripped signal to your DVD recorder.

Thanks Yinnar. So is the quality of the recorded show good?