Query about search function | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Query about search function

Ruby

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 31, 2006
Rosy or any other knowledgeable member of PRE

Does the search function allow a search within a particular thread only? If so, how does one limit the search?

Cheers

Ruby

You can search by board, or poster name, but not by thread Ruby.

It's a very efficient search function but it annoys me at times when it only shows the most recent reference in any thread. I should mention that to the SMF tech support as a bit of feedback.

Thanks Rosy

Is there any chance of being able to limit a search to a particular thread? Some times I consider posting a relevant titbit in a thread but don't want to look at the previous 10, 20 or 200 pages of the thread to see if someone has already raised the matter previously. Today I started a post with "not sure whether this has been raised in earlier posts on this thread but .... " Would have been nice to have been able to search to see if it had been raised earlier.

Not an option sorry Ruby. You could try typing a few relevant words in and seeing what comes up.

Hi, in regards to the search function i find that everytime I use it it gets timed out. A search by username usually gets a return but just a straight search times out.

Is this fixable or? thanks.

Hi, in regards to the search function i find that everytime I use it it gets timed out. A search by username usually gets a return but just a straight search times out.

Is this fixable or? thanks.

Has anybody's Google search format changed today?

No underlines on the links. Looks like another change for the sake of changing....

TigerForce said:
Has anybody's Google search format changed today?

No underlines on the links. Looks like another change for the sake of changing....

I don't remember having underlines on my links in Google searches. I just did a test search and nothing struck me as being very different. Maybe I'm just not very observant.

rosy23 said:
I don't remember having underlines on my links in Google searches. I just did a test search and nothing struck me as being very different. Maybe I'm just not very observant.

Looks like there's a battle between google.com and google.com.au

I changed my Google search to google.com because I like seeing the search engine jump to top of screen whereas in google.com.au it doesn't do that. However, the google.com shows a different format now. Best I stick with the Aussie version. ;D

Looks like we're all stuck with it now: http://mashable.com/2014/03/11/google-search-results-redesign/

I swear Google are starting to become absolute a-holes now with these ugly changes including the new Google Maps.

TigerForce said:
Looks like we're all stuck with it now: http://mashable.com/2014/03/11/google-search-results-redesign/

I swear Google are starting to become absolute a-holes now with these ugly changes including the new Google Maps.

yeah, the bastards. Don't they know we pay good m0ney for these services !!!!

Baloo said:
yeah, the bastards. Don't they know we pay good m0ney for these services !!!!

Funny hullabaloo...

Why change something simple that most people like when you DON'T need to change? Or do the ads have to be more attractive for them? Lovely yellow box....geez I might click on it.

TigerForce said:
Funny hullabaloo...

Why change something simple that most people like when you DON'T need to change? Or do the ads have to be more attractive for them? Lovely yellow box....geez I might click on it.

Do you think they would make a change, a change that would cost them money to design, test, implement, and then ride the wave of negative PR, if they didn't think it would be ultimately more beneficial for them ?

They provide a free service to everyone on the back of ensuring the highest possible exposure and click throughs for people who pay them. Google does what it does to make sure there are more clicks and sales for their advertisers.

So yeah, it looks like the yellow box will make more people click on them.....

Baloo said:
Do you think they would make a change, a change that would cost them money to design, test, implement, and then ride the wave of negative PR, if they didn't think it would be ultimately more beneficial for them ?

They provide a free service to everyone on the back of ensuring the highest possible exposure and click throughs for people who pay them. Google does what it does to make sure there are more clicks and sales for their advertisers.

So yeah, it looks like the yellow box will make more people click on them.....

Yeah, thanks for the free service Google. I didn't know we had to pay for a search engine. I thought it was supposed to be more beneficial for the users.

I'm talking more about the design. Have you seen how more complex the new Google Maps look? Does anyone really need to use all those fields?

Again, if they didn't think their targetted audience didn't need them they wouldn't have spent time to develop and release. The more people that rely on Google maps, the more likely developers will pay google to use the google maps APIs to provide location and mapping services in their apps. The more revenue Google makes.

Baloo said:
Again, if they didn't think their targetted audience didn't need them they wouldn't have spent time to develop and release. The more people that rely on Google maps, the more likely developers will pay google to use the google maps APIs to provide location and mapping services in their apps. The more revenue Google makes.

Whoever this 'targeted audience' actually is, I'm noticing a lot of bad reviews over the internet re: Google Maps.

Success, greed and ego grow hand in hand. Time for Google to get a reality check I reckon.

TigerForce said:
Whoever this 'targeted audience' actually is, I'm noticing a lot of bad reviews over the internet re: Google Maps.
There will always be misinformed nufties out there who will complain for the sake of complaining because the interwebz gives them a platform to express anythuing they want without being taken tio account for it. But even then a flock of nufties having a moan is probably not represtative of the majority view of google's target audience.

Success, greed and ego grow hand in hand. Time for Google to get a reality check I reckon.

Why ? Why do Goggle need a reality check ? because they added some fields to Google maps and added a yellow icon to their search ads ?

If that requires a reality check then we might as well freeze the world right now and not change anything ever again.

TigerForce said:

I appreciate their free service. I haven't noticed the changes but I would probably still opt for it as my search engine of choice if I did. I don't see the issue if they want to alter things a bit. I'm not paying them anything so don't think I should be too judgmental on what they do.

Baloo said:
There will always be misinformed nufties out there who will complain for the sake of complaining because the interwebz gives them a platform to express anythuing they want without being taken tio account for it. But even then a flock of nufties having a moan is probably not represtative of the majority view of google's target audience.

Why ? Why do Goggle need a reality check ? because they added some fields to Google maps and added a yellow icon to their search ads ?

If that requires a reality check then we might as well freeze the world right now and not change anything ever again.

I wouldn't be surprised these 'nufties' are also part of their targeted audience.

Not sure if you've ever heard about it, but people do have a right to make complaints and provide feedback when it comes to changes in something they regularly use not working for the better. Instead of making snazzy design changes for their high & mighty clients, why not have a look at what the wider audience also requires. They allow users to revert to the previous design but it still shows 2009 as the latest street view pictures. Why not just update the damn pictures and leave the simple design as it was...simple! I'm sure this 'targeted audience' wouldn't give a hoot.

Don't forget that the AFL website woke up to itself and improved it's design when they changed their format years ago from simple to complex and had many users complaining that it was too slow and heavy.