Racist goons doing Nazi salutes bring shame ......... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Racist goons doing Nazi salutes bring shame .........

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Racist goons doing Nazi salutes bring shame on Melbourne on first day of Australian Open
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/racist-goons-doing-nazi-salutes-bring-shame-on-melbourne-on-first-day-of-australian-open/story-e6frf7jo-1225821002409

RACIST goons doing Nazi salutes brought shame on Melbourne on the first day of the Australian Open.

A mob of young men of Croatian background intimidated other fans, let off flares and spat on, then slapped, a Herald Sun photographer.

Should life bans be imposed on tennis thugs? Have your say in the comments below

The disgraceful display made a mockery of so-called multicultural Melbourne as tennis fans around the world tuned in for the first Grand Slam event of the year.

Police, tennis officials and politicians were red-faced and fuming.

Premier John Brumby said our reputation as a friendly nation was on the line and called on fans to unite.

Family First Senator Steve Fielding said racist louts should be banned from all sporting events for at least three years or jailed.

"People have the right to go to these events without having to put up with this kind of trash," he said.

The trouble started when eight people were barred from entering the tournament for carrying flares. One flare was let off outside Melbourne Park even before play started.

Teams of security staff were waiting when the front gates opened but some Croatian fans dodged them by running up the stairs while others attempted to hide their faces under hoodies.

Another 11 goons were ejected from court six, half an hour into Croatian Ivo Karlovic's match against Czech Radek Stepanek.

One supporter was found carrying two flares.

Police Supt Jock Menzel denied security failed.

"You must understand people are innovative and they will go to great lengths to smuggle contraband into the particular venue," he said.

He said police assisted security staff in ejecting Karlovic's supporters, who have been banned for the rest of the tournament.

Two were fined $234, one for disrupting play and the other for possessing a flare, but no charges were laid.

"These 11 people were disruptive, they were standing on seats and they were causing problems for the other spectators who were there to watch the game," Supt Menzel said.

"Tennis Australia and Victoria Police, we won't tolerate poor behaviour and we've demonstrated that this morning."

Once again, repetitive poor behaviour emanating from the Croatian community.

And also an insight (nazi salutes) into their inner souls.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
IanG said:
But the media is doing exactly what they want by giving them publicity.

May be true.

The media is also giving the greater Melbourne community a warning about the continued misbehaviours of this particular community and of their political leanings.

One thing we do not need in Australia is for our news to be censored.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Phantom said:
May be true.

The media is also giving the greater Melbourne community a warning about the continued misbehaviours of this particular community and of their political leanings.

Was it news though? They were either not allowed entry or ejected before any trouble was caused.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
IanG said:
Was it news though? They were either not allowed entry or ejected before any trouble was caused.

Who's to say what gets into the news, & what doesn't.

I'd rather it lay with a News Editor, rather than a govt official.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Phantom said:
Who's to say what gets into the news, & what doesn't.

I'd rather it lay with a News Editor, rather than a govt official.

Sure I wasn't suggesting govt censorship but more that the media should police themselves, similar to what they do with streakers at sports events now.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Phantom said:
May be true.

don't think the actions of a dozen young idiots can be expanded to be those of a community.

a few people have acted like complete tools to get their heads on TV, nothing more

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Tiger74 said:
don't think the actions of a dozen young idiots can be expanded to be those of a community.

a few people have acted like complete tools to get their heads on TV, nothing more

Exactly right. I wouldn't be surprised they haven't even being to Croatia and have no idea on history of politics in their country.

Just wannabees.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/australian-open-tennis-gangs-murder-link/story-e6frf7jo-1225821412066

"MEN on murder charges were among a militant gang who marred the first day of the Australian Open. At least two of the fan group, which has fascist leanings, are facing a murder trial.The charged members, who are on bail..............................."

How do those on murder charges get bail? ???

Guess it shows just how *smile* the victorian justice system has become :mad:

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
Phantom said:

Phantom you should pull your head in posting this sort of crap

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Disco08 said:
Whose? Croatians in general or just this handful of people?

AS per the report, the handful of people.

AS per the report,
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/australian-open-tennis-gangs-murder-link/story-e6frf7jo-1225821412066

The Herald Sun revealed this morning that at least two of the fan group, which has fascist leanings, are facing a murder trial.

The charged members, who are on bail, promote Right-wing political propaganda, with one of the men posting history of a Croatian hit squad - the Ustashi - on his Facebook page....

The Hitler salute, as was seen at Melbourne Park on Monday, is part of their subculture. They are often identifiable by a street clothing label they wear.

Australian Croatian Association of Geelong president Paul Saric said their disgusting behaviour gave “the whole community a bad name”.

"It's not acceptable and it's an issue that we've got to sort out as a community, but unfortunately it's not an easy thing to sort out,” Mr Saric told the Geelong Advertiser.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/01/20/138981_news.html

DEmocracy is a fragile thing, it only needs a small handful to potentially ruin it for everyone.

You may remember that in the trauma after 9/11, community leaders were asked to speak to their various community members about peace & tolerance.

Please remember that this is not a one-off.
Last year, the Australian Open was disrupted by members of the same community as this year.

As I've said in the past, the name Ustase is one to strike in the hearts of every human being.
Please read a few of the articles listed in this search.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&rlz=1R2GGLL_en&q=ustase&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Ustase breed hate and violence.

If we are to maintain peace and tolerance in this wonderful country of Australia then we must be vigilant to those who threaten it.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
jb03 said:
Wow phantom you really hate Croatia/Croations

My view is that Croatia as a country has a right to exist, just as any other nation.

Croatians have a right to live & prosper, just as the citizens of every other nation.

The Croatian-based communities in Australia have as much right to live and prosper as any other and all Australians.

However, the history and massacres carried out by the Ustase state in WW2, that numbered in the millions, should never be forgotten.
The massacres by the Croatian state during the 1995 war, numbered in the 100,000s, should also never be forgotten.

This continued poor behaviour at sporting & other events in Australia, of identified Ustase members, is not a surprise given the above history.

This will not stop me from being gracious to individual Croatians that I may meet, but I will be vigilant.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Phantom said:
My view is that Croatia as a country has a right to exist, just as any other nation.

Croatians have a right to live & prosper, just as the citizens of every other nation.

The Croatian-based communities in Australia have as much right to live and prosper as any other and all Australians.

However, the history and massacres carried out by the Ustase state in WW2, that numbered in the millions, should never be forgotten.
The massacres by the Croatian state during the 1995 war, numbered in the 100,000s, should also never be forgotten.

This continued poor behaviour at sporting & other events in Australia, of identified Ustase members, is not a surprise given the above history.

This will not stop me from being gracious to individual Croatians that I may meet, but I will be vigilant.

I don't profess to know many Croatian people but those that I do know are terrific. Silly me assumed all Croatians were like that.

Let us hope that people in Croatia don't judge Australians by the aussie "fanatics" that turn up to Davis Cup ties.