Radical change to the rules | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Radical change to the rules

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland

Let's see how exactly this HTB rule will be called and it looks like Pepper's made his Salty bro a bit worried about Duckwood's antics.
So that article can be summed up:
“Umpires to start umpiring better”

Brad Scott’s a genius, money we’ll spent

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
It all sounds exactly what we have been crying out for. However, it's all up to the umpires to PAY THESE DECISIONS AGAINST COLLINGWOOD, GEELONG AND THE BULLDOGS. Plus that little *smile* small forward for the Swans Paply.. Otherwise this is all just rubbish spin from the AFL. But what will really happen is they will punish Richmond with these rules from round 1 and in particular the round 1 against the Blues. I am expecting multiple one-sided decisions already

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I assume then, we won’t be hearing the umpires say “ he made an attempt” when the tackler appeals for a free and the ball spills free from the one in possession?

Reactions: 1 users

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020
Throwing the ball is not handball.The only interpretation an umpire needs is to read the rule book.

The holding the ball rule has ben made hugely a problem by the umpires IMO. Firstly how can any player dispose of the ball when jumped upon a bunch of opposing players ? How often do we see a tackle over the head of a player who is on the ground? This use to be a free kick every time to the ball player???????????

Shepherding use to be only allowed within 15 metres of the ball? Seems to me that needs to be looked at as well.

Deliberate out of bounds with an oval ball,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yea sure.

Just following on from what you mentioned there about gang tackling….would it perhaps help if only one opponent is allowed to tackle a player in possession? This might allow more chance to beat tackles but also give greater reason to punish incorrect disposal or holding the ball where a player cannot beat the tackle.

Reactions: 1 user

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Hearld sun.
AFL makes new rule changes to the
'Holding the ball' & 'Wasting time' adjustments.
In both categories A Richmond player was used as the example.
Get ready for a reaming in 2022.
Just for me and those who missed it LZ, where was a Richmond player used?

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
It all sounds exactly what we have been crying out for. However, it's all up to the umpires to PAY THESE DECISIONS AGAINST COLLINGWOOD, GEELONG AND THE BULLDOGS. Plus that little *smile* small forward for the Swans Paply.. Otherwise this is all just rubbish spin from the AFL. But what will really happen is they will punish Richmond with these rules from round 1 and in particular the round 1 against the Blues. I am expecting multiple one-sided decisions already
Yeh interesting call. We are not first game off the bat this year. Will be interesting to see if they abuse one of the bullies , demons team or wait for us in the first round. I suspect the later

• Sad

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Hearing Scott as AFL spokesman talk about rules makes me want to poke my out eye with a fork.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Richmond wins a premiership.
AFL: CHANGE THE RULES, NOW

Richmond misses the finals.
AFL: NO RULE CHANGES NEXT SEASON

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Just following on from what you mentioned there about gang tackling….would it perhaps help if only one opponent is allowed to tackle a player in possession? This might allow more chance to beat tackles but also give greater reason to punish incorrect disposal or holding the ball where a player cannot beat the tackle.
One player generally tackles another down to the ground and off his feet.That is when the gang tackles really occur .Players jump in left right and centre over the tackled player making play impossible.A real blight on the game IMO.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
If this is umpired properly it should benefit us as we’re a high tackling side , can’t tell ya how many times we will have an opening stanza we go ballistic with pressure and tackles and wouldn’t get bloody one paid htb

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
If this is umpired properly it should benefit us as we’re a high tackling side , can’t tell ya how many times we will have an opening stanza we go ballistic with pressure and tackles and wouldn’t get bloody one paid htb
It should but…

I wonder who will be one of the most penalised teams for HTB /incorrect disposal for 2022…

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I saw dusty being swung around with the ball in a couple of the promo vids. I think the umps have their first target.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
About time the fools in suits tightened the holding the ball ruling. Blokes getting slung 360 degrees and more while searching for a clean option is a pathetic joke. If you're tackled with the ball in hand it should be instant disposal, not seek n fudge.
Every time a player with the ball is tackled to ground and one of his team mates jumps in and tackles him to assist in locking the ball up should be a free kick against as well.

Then all we have to do is continue our force the ball forward swarm n high intensity tackling game n we're back to hunting flags big time.

Betting that someone somewhere completely misinterprets the new rulings n we get crucified by the maggots for at least half the season.

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
They should have had the Bulldogs and Collingwood midfields highlighted in these promo videos. Showing incorrect disposal or ball dropping when tackled. But no doubt that Dusty will simply fend off an opponent without getting tackled properly and will get pinged.

Reactions: 4 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
They should have had the Bulldogs and Collingwood midfields highlighted in these promo videos. Showing incorrect disposal or ball dropping when tackled. But no doubt that Dusty will simply fend off an opponent without getting tackled properly and will get pinged.
Good point about Dusty. I hope they allow players to try to break tackles, before paying easy frees against the play maker.
Imagine Dusty getting pinged because he wasn't allowed to fling Dangerflog away late in the last quarter, 2020 GF? Will this change mean LESS Dusty moments?

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Good point about Dusty. I hope they allow players to try to break tackles, before paying easy frees against the play maker.
Imagine Dusty getting pinged because he wasn't allowed to fling Dangerflog away late in the last quarter, 2020 GF? Will this change mean LESS Dusty moments?
Absolutely.
They will ping him as soon as he gets tackled

Reactions: 1 users