Rate Richmond's season. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rate Richmond's season.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
A few edited snippets from Jon Anderson's end of year report for Richmond in the HeraldSun today. How would your ratings compare?

Richmond.....Ladder position: 13th (7 wins, 15 losses)

COACH
Where do you start with Danny Frawley? For the first 11 weeks he was Marcel-Marceau; for the next 11 Rex Hunt. When Mick Malthouse took over Collingwood in 2000 it had finished last with four wins. Frawley inherited Richmond the same season after it had finished ninth with 12 wins. 5/10

DEFENCE
Started to crumble when Gas did his knee in round 11, and Dutchy was available for only 9 games after knee surgery. Chaffey had his best year for the club. Andy and Ty fought against the odds. 6/10

MIDFIELD
Cogs will just miss all australian honours, while Kane J delivered. Blumfield ravaged by injury, yet disappointing when available. Bowdo remained an enigma and Campbo only played 9 games. 6/10

RUCK STRENGTH
Began as a positive with Staff flying early, became a break even as the season wore on. After serious back injury Otto was just starting to find form. Ruck area stilla positive. 6/10

FORWARDS
What should ahve been a strength was definitely not. Richo leading goal kicker with just 33 from 19 games. 3/10

LEADERSHIP
Campbo and Gas big losses. Richo put his hand up for a role that suits him as much as alcohol does George Best.
Cogs appeals as future captain. 4/10

LIST MANAGEMENT
Poor. For every Cogs (pick 25) and Newmo (55) there are too many misses. Obsession with small goal kickers has set Richmond back as have too many of it's trades. (Bidders, Blurton, Flemming, Hudson, King, Sziller) 3/10

MEDIA
While it was cooperative the club was too low key early when things were good. 5/10

MEMBERSHIP
It's time it moved int he 30,000-plus league with Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn. This years figure of 25,365 was down on 2002. 5/10

FINANCES
There are two different stories out of Punt Road, one suggesting a sizeable debt, the other claiming things are rosy. ;) Next year looks better than 2003 in terms of projected profit. 5/10

OVERALL GRADE

FAIL 48/100

My ratings.

COACH
Has to cop a lot of the rap for the team that was 6-2 and a game ahead of Port after round 8 having only 1 win in the next 14 games. (Port finished 11 games ahead.)
Injuries weren't that kind to Spud, but the selected team should have won a few games that they didn't.
Didn't have the team playing in a very inspiring fashion imo. 4/10

DEFENCE
Hit by injury but once again the mainstay of our team. 6/10

MIDFIELD
Cogs and Johnno were great but overall I think I'm being generous giving the midfield a break even score. 5/10

RUCK STRENGTH
Unsettled due to injury. Though we won tap outs we often didn't capitalise on them. 5/10

FORWARDS
Can blame poor delivery but if Richo led the marks it mustn't have been that shocking. Too few goal scorers and too many easy goals missed. 3/10

LEADERSHIP
Terrible to lose Campbo and Gas but not good to let Richo lead the team so many times in a role he's obviously not suited to. The team was like a ship without a rudder far too often. 3/10

LIST MANAGEMENT
Terrible. 3/10

MEDIA
Not good. 3LO spoke of Danny showing up because he had to but saying nothing. Might have been a blessing in disguise because I've found the clubs media releases cringeworthy this year. Being told the teams not far away when we've seen for ourself it was. I'd rate Miller very low too on his Collingwood statement, getting stuck up the fans statement, the Vic cricket accusations etc. Casey saying Spuds contract will be re-negotiated early next season, then back peddling. 3/10

MEMBERSHIP
Miles behind the pack and would have been downright embarrassing if free phones weren't given as an incentive to sign up. I know not all peopel who bought memberships to get a phone are Tiger supporters so there is a possiblity some of those will drop off next year if there are no similar incentives. Down on last season despite incentives, and nowhere near someother Vic clubs. 4/10

FINANCES
Not enough info at this stage. Losses through membership, pokies etc and have stated they will be around the break even mark. 5/10

OVERALL GRADE
FAIL 41/100

Seems I've marked harder than Jon Anderson. Maybe that's the Richmond loving person in me sick of accepting mediocrity.

Anyone else want to have a crack at rating the season?

Hutstars ratings.

COACH
Uninspired. Lacking in confidence, poor tactician, not giving the young guys enough of a run. Unlucky with injuries, but replacements sucked, and he picked 'em in the first place.
1/10

DEFENCE
Really good effort by a defence without GAS or Holland for most of the year. 8/10

MIDFIELD
Again, Missed Campbo badly. Cogs and Johno did OK without lighting it up- just too much work. 5/10

RUCK STRENGTH
Injury. Staff got tired, Otto just starting to get the hang of it by seasons end. 6/10

FORWARDS
Pathetic. Richo uninsiping as a player and Captain. Little guys too small and numerous, probably not helped by mediocre supply and Richo tantrums either. 2/10

LEADERSHIP
No Captain or Vice makes it bloody hard, but why let the least suited guy in the comp run the show is beyond me. 3/10

LIST MANAGEMENT
N/A. 1/10

MEDIA
whatever. Danny too scarred of buggering it up to say anything (and rightly so given last couple of years). Greg Miller putting on an ordinary display. 2/10

MEMBERSHIP
Going backward at a rate of knots. Poor marketing, consumer relations. Sales pretty slack. No a lot of value there either really. 3/10

FINANCES
OK, I guess, we will see. 5/10

OVERALL GRADE
FAIL 36/100, back to Kindy for you guys!

In a word, on - field disappointing.
Off- field things seem to be on the improve. Hopefully the settled off-field structure can lead to positive & aggresive trading & recruiting, and an improved on field effort 2004 and beyond.

If Richmond was a student i wouldn't even bother marking them.

I'd just send them to a sheltered workshop to stick stickers on apples.

Remember this post - it's my prediction that we will qualify for concessional picks next year. That's how bad it will be.

We are talking about trading players like Richardson, and picking up players like Nathan Brown.

For all his clangers Richo still outrated Brown in the Herald Sun computer rankings - yet most people welcome Brown with open arms, while spitting venom at Richo???? Another interesting comparrison is how close Richo rates to Tarrent who gets hit on the tits with direct passes 6 times a qtr.

We as a club entered the forward 50 less than any other, have a problem scoring, yet we look to trade our leading goal kicker who is also our leader at goal assists????

Also bear in mind that without Richo, guys like Ottens and Stafford will find it 3 times harder to mark in our forward line - without having the defender magnet next to them. Add to this, less height and less crumbing opportunities for the likes of Krak and Roden.

In so far as leadership is concerned, i will admit i don't like Richo in this role. I tend to lean towards Staff because he is so obviously a natural leader of men. Campbell fully fit and firing can still be a very good leader in the mould of a Crawford - leading by example without being overly vocal.

I'm cringing to think of what these "eyebrow raising" trade deals are going to do. The problem is at the bottom end of our list, not the top.

A furious review

COACH
Danny Frawley's coaching could only be described as ordinary and getting worse. Poor tactically, non-existant player development, poor communicator, ordinary selections. In short Frawley's coaching record flatters his limited ability.
3/10

DEFENCE
Solid year but injuries exposed a very soft under belly. Not enough run or creativity and I don't think some of the players we have there are capable of any better. We need to inject some youth, pace and creativity into a stagnant defence.
6/10

MIDFIELD
Different faces same problems. We were still terrible in clearances, tackles and physicallity this year and losing Campbell didn't help. Big praise for Coughlan but Johnson didn't do enough when needed and the rest were ordinary at best.
5/10 (4 points to Coughlan alone)

RUCK STRENGTH
Started out well but fell away probably because of injuries. If fit, Ottens must assume 80% of the ruck duties as he is the best prospect in this position.
6/10

FORWARDS
Serviceable when Richo didn't play and awful when he did. Krakeour is the only one who chases and the rest lack creativity and spark. Another area that needs a major overhaul.
2/10

LEADERSHIP
Shocking!! Losing Campbell exposed a complete lack of leadership in the rest of the group. Richo should be removed from all leadership duties IF he stays next year. It was dissappointing to see a 3rd year player lead the way physically in the midfield while others sat back and collected their paychecks. Coughlan should be made vice-captain and groomed to take over from Campbell when he retires.
2/10

LIST MANAGEMENT
Terrible.
1/10

MEDIA
Some down at Tigerland seem to perminantly have their foot in their mouth. Not honest enough with the supporters.
4/10

MEMBERSHIP
The club is reaping what they have sewn and it will only get worse. Not enough bang for your buck.
3/10

FINANCES
Not enough info but I suspect they'll struggle to break even.
5/10

OVERALL RATING
32/100 - How long must we suffers this?

Im not even gunna give them the effort some of you guys gave them inregards to marks.

we all know they failed in all areas.

one Big F for Danny Failure

COACH
Where do you start with Danny Frawley? More importantly when do we finish with Danny Frawley? 1/10

DEFENCE
Undermanned but didn't create enough play. 5/10

MIDFIELD
These days you need more than a couple of blokes doing all the work. 4/10 (apologies to Cogs and Kane)

RUCK STRENGTH
Staff was good for about 8 games, Otto finished season well. Still went missing too often. 5/10

FORWARDS
Only two clubs scored less. 3/10

LEADERSHIP
Lacking badly in this area. 3/10

LIST MANAGEMENT
Disgraceful - 2/10

MEDIA
Used the media to feed us mushrooms the same *smile*. 4/10

MEMBERSHIP
Pathetic considering the base of supporters. 2/10

FINANCES
Who knows the truth? 5/10

OVERALL GRADE
EXPELLED 34/100

Computer Knowledge (Emailing ) : 10/10

I thought the club got their message out perfectly, dont you?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(Anyone miss out on the speed camera list, or, that memo that was sent about Frawley)?

I am sure they can resend it to you on request with new fresh attachements if you missed out.

LMAO-Can someone pass that speed camera list on?(joking)

season review-West Gate bridge jump worthy.

This is the full version of Richmonds season ranking from the HeraldSun.

Tigers' 2003 report card
05 September 2003 AFL
By JON ANDERSON

Jon Anderson sums up the Tigers' 2003 season.

Shining light: Mark Coughlan lifted to an elite onball level in 2003.

COACH

Where do you start with Danny Frawley? For the first 11 weeks he was Marcel Marceau; for the next 11 Rex Hunt. When Mick Malthouse took over Collingwood in 2000, it had finished last with four wins. Frawley inherited Richmond the same season after it had finished ninth with 12 wins.5/10

DEFENCE

It started to crumble when Darren Gaspar did his knee in Round 11, and Ben Holland was available for only nine games after knee surgery. Mark Chaffey had his best year for the club. Andrew Kellaway and Ty Zantuck fought the odds. 6/10

MIDFIELD

Mark Coughlan will just miss All-Australian honours, while Kane Johnson delivered. Justin Blumfield was ravaged by injury, yet disappointing when available; Joel Bowden remained an enigma; and Wayne Campbell played only nine games. 6/10

RUCK STRENGTH

What began as a positive, with Greg Stafford flying early, became a break-even as the season wore on. After a serious back injury, Brad Ottens was just starting to run into real form. This area can still be a positive. 6/10

FORWARDS

What should be a strength was definitely not. Matthew Richardson was leading goalkicker with just 33 from 19 games; Andrew Krakouer next best with 22. Maybe the ball didn't come in quickly enough, but even that doesn't fully excuse the failings. 3/10

LEADERSHIP

Campbell is highly regarded from within, so his loss was huge, as was that of Gaspar. Richardson put his hand up for a role that suits him as much as alcohol does George Best. Coughlan appeals as a future leader. 4/10.

LIST MANAGEMENT

Poor. For every Coghlan (pick 25) and Chris Newman (55), there are too many misses. The obsession with a small goalkicker has set Richmond back, as have too many of its trades (Craig Biddiscombe, Ashley Blurton, Tim Fleming, Paul Hudson, Clinton King, Steven Sziller). 3/10.

MEDIA

While it is co-operative, the club was far too low-key early when things were good.5/10

MEMBERSHIP

It's time it moved into the 30,000-plus league with Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn. This year's figure of 25,365 was down on 2002.5/10.

FINANCES

You get two different stories out of Punt Rd, one suggesting a sizeable debt, the other claiming things are rosy. Next year's looks better than 2003 in terms or projected profit.5/10

TOTAL GRADE: 48/100

YOU'RE EXCUSED

MARK CHAFFEY and KANE JOHNSON

Out of adversity comes a positive. Chaffey, 26, produced his best season after giving up a promising baseball career to play AFL. Johnson was good and can be even better.

MOST IMPROVED

TY ZANTUCK and CHRIS NEWMAN

Zantuck regularly played on taller opponents, has a real go and is versatile. Newman is hard-working and unobtrusive, but gets the job done.

MISSING IN ACTION

DAVID RODAN and JUSTIN BLUMFIELD

Rodan's inclusion will be seen by some as harsh, given he's still 19, but he didn't progress from a solid debut season. Blumfield needs a full pre-season.

SEE YOU LATER

LEON CAMERON and CLINTON KING

A joy to watch, Cameron was swapped by the Dogs for picks 37 (Mitch Hahn) and 66 (Ryan Hargrave) in the 1999 draft. Time will tell the winner. King slipped in 2003.

Other possible delistings:

Adam Houlihan, Andrew Mills, Kayne Pettifer, Craig Biddiscombe, Royce Vardy

TRADE TEASER

MATTHEW RICHARDSON to GEELONG for pick No.7'

ORDER OF DRAFT PICKS: 6, 21, 37, 53, 69 (subject to trades)

To change their list drastically, the Tigers need to act decisively.

President Clinton Casey assures us this is going to happen, which leads to two names: Matthew Richardson and Joel Bowden. Maybe the time is right for Richardson and Richmond to part company. The Cats have made a habit of using high picks on big-name forwards, and they could throw David Clarke or James Bartel into the mix. Bowden's problem in 2003 wasn't getting the ball, but using it.

RANKINGS

1 Mark Coughlan 2579 11

2 Greg Tivendale 2430 38

3 Joel Bowden 2337 48

4 Kane Johnson 2185 40

5 Andrew Kellaway 1998 100

GOALS

1 Matthew Richardson 33

2 Andrew Krakouer 22

3 Greg Tivendale 21

OTHERS

Kicks Greg Tivendale 318

Marks Andrew Kellaway 144

Handballs Mark Coughlan 235

Clearances Mark Coughlan 99

Clangers Joel Bowden 82

Tackles Mark Coughlan 102

Goal assists M. Richardson 17

Hitouts Greg Stafford 303

Marking spoils Andrew Kellaway 50

Most benchings Tim Fleming 56

Game time A. Kellaway 2545 min

Players used 35

The Good

Had the second-most contested marks (313), led by Matthew Richardson's 64.

The Bad

The Tigers entered their forward 50 zone the least of any team this season (1062 times) and averaged 13 clanger kicks a game, the second most in the AFL.

I was going to suggest a term or two in remedial classes but after reading the report cards above, I think I'll go along with Frick's recommendation - go directly to sheltered workshop!

The ones I found most interesting

Goal Assists: Richo 17 - a meaningless stat ???

Contested marks: 2nd in the league behind that other zig-zag team the Dockers. And what a surprise that Richo led us (and came 1st or 2nd in the league) in contested marks. Can someone please tell me how many contested marks Lloyd takes a game compared to Richo?

Marking Spoils: Chubba Kellaway - enough said and Chubba lead us for game time.

And we were second in league with the number of clangers per game and we had the Clanger King in Joel Bowden.

I am curious to know where we as Club would have finished in the number of clangers if Joel wasn't playing for us. Raises an interesting point I would have thought

As stated before in another post, Richo came 3rd with 173, Warren Tredrea second with 177 and Chris Tarrant lead the marks with 193. Matthew Lloyd was 11th with 136. Chubba actually pipped him at no. 10 with 144 marks.

Captain Blood said:
Richardson can take all the marks he likes around the ground but they won't win a game unless converted on the scoreboard. He's there to kick goals in fact he's paid massive money to kick them. A very poor season. :mad:

Problem is he can't kick for goal without hearing voices in his head.