Rating the draft of 2006 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rating the draft of 2006

Oct 20, 2006
MelBun
It's a bit early but in rating last years recruits :-

Pick number 8 :-
Graham Polak (trade) - exceptional pickup. Grade A.
Jack Riewoldt (ND pick 13) - Looks like he has both the talent and tools and willingness to become a great player - may take a couple of years to assert himself. Grade A.
The combination of these two players for pick number 8 is an A+.

Shane Edwards (ND pick 26) - Apart from his erratic Richo kicking, he is an excitement machine. Grade A-.

Daniel Connors (ND pick 58) - After the weekends performance against the Cats he looks like he could be the best of the class...that's saying something. Grade A+.

Carl Peterson (ND pick 60) - Hard to say if he has what it takes in all areas. He certainly has physical assetes that are beyond first rate. Because it's pick 60, grade B+

Andrew Collins (ND pick 73) - I don't know enough to comment. I do recall early reports saying he was showing good things and had been a good pickup. No Grade.

Kent Kingsley (PSD pick 6) - A bit of a wasted pick. Grade C.

Tas Clingan (rookie pick , Jake King (rookie pick 24)

No comment on Tas Clingan - I just don't know anythig about him.
Jake King however - what a steal. He's a little dynamo. I just love the little guy. All around good skills, great work ethic and doesn't back down from anyone. He is small, but I like to think of him as a faster Tony Liberatore. He is a very tallented footballer. Grade A+.

So all in all as at Aug 07, the recruiting gurus should raise there hand, cross it over there shoulder and give themselves a huge pat on the back. I think this is our stongest ever draft class, which given that we only had middle of the road choices, says something.

The next step is developing these players. Another story - and sadly not one we have been particularly good at IMO.

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
Kingsley should be a D if not lower. I'd give him a B+ in the VFL though.

Magic17

Tiger Cub
Sep 11, 2005
Victoria
You're right... I reckon you'll find the 2006 lot will collectively surpass 2004... a good sign for the coming years... and a good sign that the recruiting department are getting it right (baring Kingsley of course!!).
:clap

BloodOath

Now this is a team!
Sep 1, 2004
Melbourne
Not sure if its just me bu people here seem to over rate POlak and IMO he still has a long way to go. He could be A grade but has much to do - not denying he has been good for us this year BUT

even JASON CLOKE played one good year playing loose man in defense and where is he now?

The way I look at it he is very ordinary by foot - need alot of work.
Needs to show he can play man on man - which he hasn't done this year to be a true CHB

Think we need to be careful.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
The 2006 draft (apart from the Kingsley buffoonery) should be considered the benchmark with which all our future drafts can be measured.

The KPP pick(Jack) has shown a little and looks to have a longer term future,the 2 midfielders(Connors and Edwards) have played games mid to later in the season and showed they are a good chance of being AFL footballers, and the specualtive tall (Peterson) is, well,speculative.

Another 3 or 4 drafts like that and we might actually get somewhere.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It should be the norm rather than the exception. We need to build on it.

JPM

Will Richmond ever be the one?
Sep 3, 2003
East Melbourne
BloodOath said:
Not sure if its just me bu people here seem to over rate POlak and IMO he still has a long way to go. He could be A grade but has much to do - not denying he has been good for us this year BUT

even JASON CLOKE played one good year playing loose man in defense and where is he now?

The way I look at it he is very ordinary by foot - need alot of work.
Needs to show he can play man on man - which he hasn't done this year to be a true CHB

Think we need to be careful.

My thoughts excatly, he has been shown out since being assigned a man over the past few weeks.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Collins played as an in an under mid in the scratch match's an of course the opposition was poor ::) but he was excellent with his clean hands,vision an general awarness very Hazelby early on in his carreer,he will be a keeper ;)

I too would have love to have seen Polak get more stopping roles in the second half of the year,an if he wasn't playing to instruction he would be dragged,but I simply cant understand what more was expected of the kid in his first year? he has improved every aspect of his game probally more then any other in the competition,

As per ususl with this bored we may have a few who would rather say I told you so rather then Tiger success

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
evo said:
The 2006 draft (apart from the Kingsley buffoonery) should be considered the benchmark with which all our future drafts can be measured.

The KPP pick(Jack) has shown a little and looks to have a longer term future,the 2 midfielders(Connors and Edwards) have played games mid to later in the season and showed they are a good chance of being AFL footballers, and the specualtive tall (Peterson) is, well,speculative.

Another 3 or 4 drafts like that and we might actually get somewhere.

What he posted. Spot on.

geoffryprettyboy

Tiger Legend
Apr 8, 2004
CC TIGER said:
Collins played as an in an under mid in the scratch match's an of course the opposition was poor ::) but he was excellent with his clean hands,vision an general awarness very Hazelby early on in his carreer,he will be a keeper ;)

Did you copy & paste this from one of your Petunia Reports. ;D

Nah serious, I too can see young Andy as part of our midfield of the future.

IrockZ

Tiger Champion
Jul 18, 2007
CC TIGER said:

I too would have love to have seen Polak get more stopping roles in the second half of the year,an if he wasn't playing to instruction he would be dragged,but I simply cant understand what more was expected of the kid in his first year? he has improved every aspect of his game probally more then any other in the competition,

As per ususl with this bored we may have a few who would rather say I told you so rather then Tiger success

polak has been asked to play loose and has done his job so far

but when you rate him as a pickup you also need to take into account what we gave up, if he was a PSD pickup he would be classified as A+ in my book but when you down grade a top 10 pick and also give away a 3rd round selection in a quality draft you need to look at things in a bit more context

its got nothing to do with "i told you so"

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
jmj said:
You're right... I reckon you'll find the 2006 lot will collectively surpass 2004... a good sign for the coming years... and a good sign that the recruiting department are getting it right (baring Kingsley of course!!).
:clap

And maybe also may prove they got it wrong in 04 and couldve done better than they did. 8)

RICHO_12

Tiger Superstar
Jul 1, 2004
Why didnt we pick someone younger in the draft instead of KIngsley like - Aaron Edwards. Surely he was a safer bet and much more likely to be at the club longer than 2 years!!

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
IrockZ said:
[but when you rate him as a pickup you also need to take into account what we gave up, if he was a PSD pickup he would be classified as A+ in my book but
when you down grade a top 10 pick and also give away a 3rd round selection in a quality draft you need to look at things in a bit more context

As understand Reiwoltd was going to be our Top 10 pick and we were probably going to pickup Connors with our 3rd round, so on that basis you would have to class picking up Polak as a top rate effort. Picking him up in the PSD was never going to happen.

Kingsley, you could rate as a waste, however, he cost nothing, and was most likely selected as insurance anyway. Not alot of harm then there.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I dont remember the ins and outs of the PSD ...................... couldnt we have taken Harbrow or am i wrong instead of Kingsley.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
craig said:
I dont remember the ins and outs of the PSD ...................... couldnt we have taken Harbrow or am i wrong instead of Kingsley.

PSD is usually not very fruitful other than the 1st couple of picks. Geberally better off skipping it and grabbing extra rookies in my opinion.

bertallen

Tiger Cub
Jun 24, 2007
I seem to have missed something
Based on independant judgements, which player have received rising star nominations
Which gun forwards has Polak slaughtered and kept without a touch
Which lightening quick forwards has King slaughtered and kept without a touch
Riewoldt has played 4 games for 3 goals, and is he quick enough to be a good leading forward
There is some potential but who of these would be able to force their way into a West Coast or Geelong team
I'm not getting carried away yet
Checklist
is their physique ready made for AFL
Are they elite kicks, quick clean hands, lightening fast and smart
Are they leaders, tough, tackle hard and gut-runners
Oh and can they play footy

Our 2002 kids, Pettifer etc have taken 3-5 years to establish theselves, so there may be time but will they be superstars or good ordinary poldders, and that is the question These guys have to be better than the last lot by a mile for us to stand still, let alone going backwards again

B

Bill James

GoodOne said:
craig said:

PSD is usually not very fruitful other than the 1st couple of picks. Geberally better off skipping it and grabbing extra rookies in my opinion.

Good one Goodone. Agree