Re: 911 Truth Movement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: 911 Truth Movement

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I wonder what the mods here would say if I were posting offensive outlandish baseless rumours and innuendo about for eg Alex Rance?

Would I be warned not to do so and have my posts removed?

If so i wonder why it's ok to slur Bushes Jeb, George & Marvin, Rumsfeld, Silverstein, Cheney and whoever else has been slurred? They,re real people aren't they? They have rights too. They deserve respect like everyone else? Or is it ok to do when they are big bad Americans and live on the other side of the world? They're open slather?

I wonder if I slurred the Dalia Lama would it be ok? If I slurred Jim Stynes?

Just wondering, that's all.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
tigertim said:
I wonder what the mods here would say if I were posting offensive outlandish baseless rumours and innuendo about for eg Alex Rance?

If so i wonder why it's ok to slur Bushes Jeb, George & Marvin, Rumsfeld, Silverstein, Cheney and whoever else has been slurred? They,re real people aren't they? They have rights too. They deserve respect like everyone else? Or is it ok to do when they are big bad Americans and live on the other side of the world? They're open slather?

It's a very difficult, time-consuming and often thankless task moderating a forum tim. We come under heaps of abuse. Sometimes it seems a no-win situation but we try our best. I don't know the answer to the above. We try to set some boundaries while allowing freedom of speech. We'll never be perfect or please everyone. Could you please tell us what you reckon and what you think should/could be done about it?

P.S. I think our players are slurred heaps on here unfortunately.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
rosy23 said:
It's a very difficult, time-consuming and often thankless task moderating a forum tim. We come under heaps of abuse. Sometimes it seems a no-win situation but we try our best. I don't know the answer to the above. We try to set some boundaries while allowing freedom of speech. We'll never be perfect or please everyone. Could you please tell us what you reckon and what you think should/could be done about it?
I meant to write that this wasn't a go at the mods. I've said before I fully appreciate the work you/they do.

I wasn't expecting an solution it was something of a rhetorical question.

Why are some people allowed to have their names sullied but some aren't?

Yes, our players are slurred here and I've been guilty of that but calling a player a dud and insinuating someone is covering up murders, and are a party to acts of terrorism among other theories is a different thing.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
tigertim said:
I meant to write that this wasn't a go at the mods. I've said before I fully appreciate the work you/they do.

I wasn't expecting an solution it was something of a rhetorical question.

Why are some people allowed to have their names sullied but some aren't?

Yes, our players are slurred here and I've been guilty of that but calling a player a dud and insinuating someone is covering up murders, and are a party to acts of terrorism among other theories is a different thing.

Not many on this thread have done that so, whether you mean it or not it, comes across to me as a crack at the mods, and probably one in particular. It seems to me you're implying double standards on our behalf. I can't answer your questions sorry. Wish there was an easy solution to keep everyone happy. Believe me the mods lives would be easier, and far less stressful, if I could. However it's not really related to this thread so I'll split it and move it to the Suggestions board.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
rosy23 said:
Not many on this thread have done that so, whether you mean it or not it, comes across to me as a crack at the mods, and probably one in particular. It seems to me you're implying double standards on our behalf. I can't answer your questions sorry. Wish there was an easy solution to keep everyone happy. Believe me the mods lives would be easier, and far less stressful, if I could. However it's not really related to this thread so I'll split it and move it to the Suggestions board.
So be it. Again I wasn't having a crack at the mods I was making the observation about behaviour pertaining to this website as an example.

I guess the issue can relate to society as a whole. Why can we slag politicians, celebrities etc but not people we actually know?

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
tigertim said:

Certainly an ethical dilemma Timbo. I have been quite disparaging of Messrs Bush and Cheney. Free speech I guess as long as it is opinion and not baseless rumour or malicious fallacy. Walking the line either way I suppose. Pretty hard to have a wide ranging discussion about 911 without traipsing on someone's reputation I reckon.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
KnightersRevenge said:
Certainly an ethical dilemma Timbo. I have been quite disparaging of Messrs Bush and Cheney. Free speech I guess as long as it is opinion and not baseless rumour or malicious fallacy. Walking the line either way I suppose. Pretty hard to have a wide ranging discussion about 911 without traipsing on someone's reputation I reckon.
I guess that's the quandary, what happens when ones "free speech" is baseless rumour or malicious fallacy?

Like most things in life there's not a hard and fast rule.

Eg "George Bush is a drongo" is acceptable I assume but is "George Bush is responsible for the murder of 3000 people and the covering up of it" acceptable? Or is "it's my opinion that its a possibility that Knighters revenge is having an affair because I saw him with a woman who wasn't his wife". Is that acceptable?

Tricky.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
tigertim said:
I guess that's the quandary, what happens when ones "free speech" is baseless rumour or malicious fallacy?

Like most things in life there's not a hard and fast rule.

Eg "George Bush is a drongo" is acceptable I assume but is "George Bush is responsible for the murder of 3000 people and the covering up of it" acceptable? Or is "it's my opinion that its a possibility that Knighters revenge is having an affair because I saw him with a woman who wasn't his wife". Is that acceptable?

Tricky.

Depends on how itchy my wife's trigger finger is really. Let's not test that one out. :hihi In terms of the mods, I think that is more about posters calling one another out or putting the site on the line with false rumours that might bring civil actions. I've copped more than my usual share as part of this discussion and I reckon it got close to the line on one occasion. But it's just a bit of heated debate and to be fair no harm no foul is my attitude, I'd rather the exchange took place and the issues got discussed, than the mods stepped in but it killed the debate.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
tigertim said:
.....is "George Bush is responsible for the murder of 3000 people and the covering up of it" acceptable?

Tricky.

If that's your personal take on what was posted there's not a lot the mods can do about it. I don't think it's been claimed that way has it?

We have a "Report to Moderator" function that we invite people to use. If you have issues with specific claims report use the function and mention your concerns. The mods will act in the way they think best.

There are hundreds of pages of deleted posts on the moderator board. I've removed 20-30 in the last couple of days myself. Very few have put their hands up when we've requested help to run the site in the past, and we can't be on here 24 hours a day so naturally there's a lot we mightn't notice.

Everyone agrees to certain rules when they register. If you think they've been breached in an unacceptable way yet again report them to bring them to our attention.

FYI

REGISTRATION AGREEMENT

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

SITE RULES

As part of the hosting agreement swearing isn’t acceptable and there is a swear filter in place. Posts that try and get around the swear filter by using symbols and asterisks will be removed and a warning given.

Messages shouldn’t threaten or humiliate any other person or contain personal insults. 1) There is a zero tolerance policy for flame wars, baiting, and malicious personal attacks on all forums. Such activity will result in posting rights being suspended/banned -- without warning.'

Racist and sexually prejudiced comments aren’t welcome.

Brief replies that add nothing to the discussion but to denigrate or bag a situation/event/player/official/poster, or hijack a discussion will be deleted and the poster banned for repeat offences.

This site shouldn’t be used for advertising or political soliciting.

No breach of copyright regulations. All articles copied from another site should either name or provide a link to the source. Content and links can't be posted from the AFL website or the official websites of clubs other than Richmond.

No libellous or defamatory content which may result in the risk of legal action.

Please don’t post in capital letters to try and gain attention.

It isn't acceptable to post in foreign languages.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
rosy23 said:
If that's your personal take on what was posted there's not a lot the mods can do about it. I don't think it's been claimed that way has it?
Not in the exact words I've used but its one of their claims that Bush et al were complicit/allowed it to happen etc.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
tigertim said:
Not in the exact words I've used but its one of their claims that Bush et al were complicit/allowed it to happen etc.

I think it's all a bit of light hearted banter but I get your point, accusing a president of deliberately allowing his people to perish in the name of political ambition certainly sets the cat amongst the pigeons as far as civil disobedience is concerned. On the other hand, if we draw the line at Bush or any other western leader, should we also be muted in our response towards Assad, Mugabe, the Muslim Brotherhood, the Indonesian paramilitaries in Papua, the Burmese Junta, the Lao government, the Sri Lankan government and the list goes on. Some might say that there's simply no evidence in the 9/11 case, and that maybe true, but it can also close the door on many other contentious cases where there's very little to go by, apart from a bit of heresay and witness testimonial.

I think the other issue to remember with the 9/11 thread is that everything that's been discussed has simply been a critique of the 9/11 conspiracy movement, and I think it's clear to all and sundry that most, if not all the myths, have been well and truly busted. That has to be a good thing, and given that a lot of the propaganda has been cloaked as fact, those who have made the effort to dismantle and debunk the myths have done their job admirably.