Reality Bites? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Reality Bites?

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Was Saturday night just an 'off night'? I'd like to think so.

Anyway, there's not a whole lot we can do about last week, but redeem ourselves this week. If we're good enough. And there's not a lot we can do about the current playing list now, either.

Just the same, Saturday night should be a reality check (if we needed another one) for our Club and I hope when it comes time for selectors and recruiters to choose new talent that they have this game firmly imprinted in their minds, because this is what we supporters have been 'putting up with' for longer than is necessary.

Quite frankly, I'd say most of us are tired of these sorts of performances, which invariably rear their ugly head at the most inopportune time (no matter what sort of season we are having). Almost as a cold, stark reminder of where we're really at. We haven't fixed our shortcomings, so they keep coming back to haunt us … over and over.

Someone earlier in the season said we can't seem to make up our minds whether we're re-building or looking for success now. We should decide soon, before we frustrate any supporters we have left beyond the point of no return.

See the young players we have within the team, we think some of them are a cut above the rest. Something upon which to build a team and future around. Add to this list and no more short-term, short-sighted, quick fixes.

Nothing ever changes, because we never do. So if we want things to change, we should change them or we'll be back here again some time all too soon.

This is not to say we can't or won't still have a good season. It just reminds us of what we need to do and change, if we're ever going to become a good team.

The positive from Saturday night was that, even though we were ordinary, pretty much the whole night, at least we made it a contest. In previous seasons, we would have been blown out of the water much earlier and probably lost by a much bigger margin. It's at least something to take out of the game that we have players who continue to persist, even if things aren't going our way. And at least it shows that we're changing the culture within the team.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
we are in a bit of a no win situation regarding rebuilding etc.20 plus years is a long time between drinks and very understandable from a supporters view that we are way over due for success.
our recent recruiting has been aimed at short term success over long term.this will either make us or break us.
no need to hit the panic button yet however the next 2 weeks will decide the fate of a fair few players come trade/delist time.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
johnson2richo2003 said:
… the next 2 weeks will decide the fate of a fair few players come trade/delist time.

Agree to a certain degree J2R. It's pretty much a crunch part of the season coming up for us. We've also got big games against Adelaide and Brisbane (both away), coming up. I think these are the games where futures and careers may well be decided.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Rebuild to recruit for the now.

Try and do both. We have to as some of key big men are getting older and success has to come sooner rather than later.

We have to get Brent Guerra from Port. The guy is a great player but gets about 5 mins ground time per week. A player like Guerra would really strenghten our midfield and he is ready made.

Overall, try a get a few really needed experienced players thru trade and get the best kids we can in the draft

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
If we can get ready made, quality players, who have something to offer the Club, then I'm all for that. But not like some of the recruiting we've done in recent years.

It just sets us back. As we are finding out.

P

Parker

MC24 said:
See the young players we have within the team, we think some of them are a cut above the rest. Something upon which to build a team and future around. Add to this list and no more short-term, short-sighted, quick fixes.

Hopefully though with us i am not holding my breath

Its interesting reading peoples comments with regards to how we should recruit at the end of the year.
We should concentrate mainly on kids but that is not because we need to rebuild but simply because the way the draft/trade system is structured it is clearly the best way to improve a clubs list. Even if we were on top of the ladder with the best list in the comp we should be concentrating on young players. Look at brisbane making sure they got a top 5 pick for Headland and picking up Jarred Brennan(sp?)

I'm not saying we should never picks up older players
but only occasionly when we have a prticular need or a deal too good to refuse pops along..