Recruiting | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Recruiting

Tiger

Tiger
Jul 6, 2003
Melbourne
Are there any supporters out there who believe our recruiting has been satisfactory over past 7 years or as it seems by the reaction on Tiger radio to Becks recent appearance we all believe

"It's time to leave Mr Beck!" :mad:

S

Skyfire

Beck is only part of the problem with our recruiting

The biggest problem is our penchant for short term fixes by picking up older players through trading picks or using the picks themselves for rejects in the draft.

That comes from the coaching staff and has nothing to do with Beck.

Get rid of Beck by all means but it won't make much difference if the club continues its fascination with recycling.

Tiger

Tiger
Jul 6, 2003
Melbourne
Funny that was the Club's response to me. He was only part of the problem. Isn't that enough!
Maybe if Beck came up with a few good picks.
Beck has had no success - he is the only one to have survived the last seven years. I find it unbelieveable they do not at least concede that is not enough to look to someone else.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
that stupid "finals clause" in Frawleys contract clearly spells out where the problems is.

This has been part of the whole short term fix mentality that has invaded the club for years

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
frawdudly and beckhead have been responsible for our recruiting - not good enough. Dumb and dumber should take each others hand and go for a long long walk together.

SkiddyMcGhee

Us and Them, Over and Over again
Jan 29, 2003
Sandringham, Melbourne
Let's face it, recruiting kids at a draft, whether their at 1 or 81 is always a gamble (i.e. Banik).

What has cost us is the (short term vision) approach with the recycle players (apart from Cameron and some games from Sziller), the rest were bad calls.

Beck has had some wins and some loses, but I dont think he can blamed for the recycled player approach.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Skiddy, he can be blamed...Greg would be asked his opinion on what kids are out their that could fill the clubs needs, in this case small forward. Greg, having poor intelligence of the quality of kids out in the market, recommends going for a Paul Hudson, and cap it off with an Adam Houlihan, as they are the 2 best options.

Nevermind that Medhurst went about pick 50.

But then the dumbo coaching panel goes with the easy option and picks up Hudson and Houlihan instead of investing in some young guys.

Skiddy, they are all to blame for their gutless, poor decision making, and should be held accountable.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I differ in your views on recruiting Hudson and Houlihan. We came 3rd in 2001 and lsot in a preliminary final. e ahd a good year and were definitely one of the best sides going around. Iagree wiht their logic it is natural to belive you have the right team at this point and improve in your weak areas. Small forwards was the deficiency and they fixed that. Hudson didnt pay off and he was old but they were trying to hasten us getting that premiership and i have no problem with that when i consdiered it at the time a good move to think we would take the next step.

We did get young kids in that draft aswell (Rodan) perhaps another one wouldnt have hurt too (As i reckon /hudson and Houlihan would ahve still eben there later).

I think we underestimate the effect of Brodders nad Brendon Gale leaving at hte same time had on our club nad the effect htose players had. That is the real reason i feel we slipped last year. Classy players like that and hteir influence cannot be easily replaced.

zacs56

Watch out, the Tigers are coming to get you!
Mar 31, 2003
Skyfire said:
Beck is only part of the problem with our recruiting

The biggest problem is our penchant for short term fixes by picking up older players through trading picks or using the picks themselves for rejects in the draft.

That comes from the coaching staff and has nothing to do with Beck.

Get rid of Beck by all means but it won't make much difference if the club continues its fascination with recycling.
He is the problem if the bummers, bris pussies
, and port adlag pies can finish 123 and get young guys to add to list for on coming years WHY in the h??? do we end up with DUDS or rejects.
Getting one or two year fix or stop gap players will not work mainly when the COACH can't MOTIVATE anyone.
If any one you pick up cannot get 50 pluss games for either of these top three teams leave them .
But ever team has their fair amount of rejects that dont make it.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
zacs- Port, Brisbane , Adleiade, wEst Coast etc all have added advantages that help to contribute to these younger players success.

They have better facilities than Richmond do (did?) adn i am sure that all adds up. they have more money to spend on coaching and development adn are definitely at an advantage.

Not mention they have a distinct advantage 10 weeks of the year , 12 in Brisbanes case and aer not realyl at a disadvantage when travelling as they do it so often. It is hard ot see those sides going lower on the ladder for many years. I have no doubt Fiora if he was a the Power we would all be gushing over him. Maybe not Pettifer if his attitude is shocking, but i dont think MArk Williams would let his attitude be that way. I know Leigh Matthews sure wouldnt.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
We all blame Beck and co. (me included) that our recruiting has been crap and most likely it hasn't been the greatest, but we all tend to quote the Pavlich's, Medhurst's etc that were available in the same drafts that we could have had cracks at, but we overlooked for Hudson's, Houlihans etc, etc.

The thing is maybe the young ones we have recruited would be better players if developed properly. The question then is Richmond not able to develop most of its players to their full potential?? That's the one that is lurking at the back of my mind.

Any player that was a gun at the SANFL Port Adelaide side should be a bloody good get. Port do not pick and play duds. They keep finding these hot players from nowhere, because firstly they can spot good talent and secondly they do know how to develop. Fiora should be a good player but he really disappoints me with his lack of strength.

Maybe if richmond had picked Pavlich he'd now be a dud and Fiora would be a gun at Freo??

Cogs and Newmo have come on but they are not really stars and Rodan has stalled at the moment. Again are Richmond letting ourselves down in this vital area??

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
That is exactly my thoughts Tenacious Tiges. I dont think a whole lot of it has to do with Beck. Msot other recruiting officers seem to haev said Pettifer was a good pick (I know the Phantom Draft had us picking him too). Then wiht Houlihan, Hudson etc i dont htink they were his decisions.

I think it is more development rather than getting the talent. That is my opinion. I think Beck gets a totally unfair deal.

Was interested to read in Inside Football at lunchtime though that Crackers Keenan has heard around the traps that 3 recruiting officers are likely to lose their jobs at the end of the year.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I think spud and co got a bit carried away with things after we made the finals in 2001.

What they failed to realise, or forgot, was that the the lions and bombers flogged us by over ten goals.
Picking up Hudson and Houlihan etc was not going to help much when we were getting belted in the mid field.

What we need to do is recruit the best players in the draft rather than players just because they are the type of player we need, and hope that they might make it.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
the RFC development of kids leaves alot to be desired but I still believe that the majority of the blame lies at the feet of one Greg Beck.

My theory is that if we were drafting decent kids but simply weren't developing them then we would see many more ex-richmond players at other clubs. I can only think of 3 ex-richmond players still playing afl and one of them only gets a game because he's 190+ cm.