Rename Punt Road oval? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rename Punt Road oval?

RoyceHart

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 20, 2003
Melbourne
A suggestion was read on 3AW tonight to rename Punt Road oval the Jack Dyer oval.

Could be timed for the arrival of the statue.

Might just be something to add a bit of pride back at the club and remind everybody of the great Richmond years.

Let Punt Rd Oval be known from now on as the "Dyer Dome"!

...or maybe the Captain Blood Bath! ;D

I've always loved the way our home is referred to as 'Punt Road', and I wouldn't want to do anything to erode that. No disrespect to Jack, but I'd rather keep the age-old name, and I reckon he would too.

Totally agree with Tigerblood could not have put it better.

Agree with TB and Walster

I dont think there needs to be a change of name for Punt Road. We have the Jack Dyer Stand, and the Jack Dyer Foundation, and with the statue soon to be out the front of the oval, the name 'Punt Road Oval' should stay.

And don't forget the Jack Dyer medal DF. I think you're right, there's probably enough recognition of Jack within the club.

Perhaps some kind of wider recognition within the football community would be appropriate now — not sure what, but something that recognises his contribution to football, radio, TV, humour and his ability to bring the game to the people.

Hopefully the MCG and the AFL have enough foresight and sense to consider naming a stand or part of the G after Captain Blood. This would be fitting recognition for a man who's contribution to football can never be properly quantified.

How good are you people. ;)

Well said Tigerblood, DF, Dean and RFC not KFC. Sorry if I missed anyone.

Couldn't agree more.

Jack was a traditionalist. I'm sure he would love the Punt Road name to remain.

By all means create new traditions, but let's not take away the old ones.

I'd prefer the ground where Jack and other Tigers of Old reigned supreme to keep the name they knew it as.

The Punt Road name is as much of a Richmond icon as Jack Dyer.

Maybe a Jack Dyer medal for All Australian ruckman? I doubt Jacks name will ever be forgotten though, we won't let it be.

Tigerblood said:
I've always loved the way our home is referred to as 'Punt Road', and I wouldn't want to do anything to erode that. No disrespect to Jack, but I'd rather keep the age-old name, and I reckon he would too.

Totally agree TB and well put.

ok, ok - I take back what I said. I spoke in a moment of intense patriotism. Anyway, we couldn't very well be the Jack Dyer End, could we? Perhaps something at the G?

I also agree that Punt Road should be called Punt Road.

I think Collingwood made a big mistake changing Victoria Park to Jock McHale Stadium - it sounds stupid.

I think that with the stand, the foundation and most importantly the b&f, he has been appropriately honoured by the club.

We could use a compromise like The Jack DYER Punt Road Oval as opposed to a full change, but like most I reckon Captain Blood would not want to see his home ground changed. Hard but humble in life and don't see him wanting that to change.

It was interesting listening to tony Jewell being interviewed on radio before the game on Sunday.

One of the topics raised was Jack Dyer and his impact on the club.

Tony went all reflective and said how funny it is that ever since he set foot in the place, and even to this day he can feel Captain Blood's pressence all through Punt Road Oval - like he is the club itself.

He said there are pictures of him looking down from every wall, but it goes beyond that.

He said the whole place reeks of Dyer, like his pressence is oozing out of every corner, and every little crack and cranny in the place.

Probably agree though that Jack himself would hate the name to be changed.

However, wo-behold if we are ever walking from the train to the MCG past "Nokia Park" or "Crazy John's Oval"

Some things just are beyond the worth of sponsorship dollars.

Totally, TOTALLY agree with both Tigerblood and Frickenel. Let Jack's beloved 'Punt Rd Oval' remain Punt Rd Oval. Jack loved it that way, and I love it that way.

And all I can say about the sponsorship thing raised by Frickenel is this. I'm a business student at uni. I'm a product of the business world (aren't we all these days). But sponsorship certainly can go too far.

But should any company ever (at least in my lifetime) succeed in purchasing the naming rights to the Punt Road Oval, or the M.C.G. for that matter, I'd sell my own house to keep it as is, if that's what it took. Sure as hell wouldn't support whoever paid good money to rename it, that's for damn sure.

To any company wanting to change the name of Punt Road to call it their own, (quite frankly) *smile* off! The RFC have the passionate supporter base other clubs can only dream of and the name of Punt Road Oval, much like that of Jack Dyer, we treasure and hold close to our hearts. Any offer you have, us supporters will double in donations to keep our traditions, and our club, alive.

Thanks,

Tiger Stripe.