Respect | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Respect

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Respect is probably one of the oldest Cliches in football, but it's value can never be underestimated.

All this talk about FRAWLEY having the respect of the players has got me thinking.

Many Years ago (now) I played football in the Western Border Football League (you never did get back to me DragacevicFan) for a struggling club, who were cash stapped and struggling to attract quality players due to the local economy and poor job prospects. It got so bad at times I played 2 games in a day playing under 18's then either playing half a game for the Reserves or a full game for the ones depending on injuries.

The club always finished on the bottom half of the ladder and many of the players were pulling on the boots to make up the numbers at times.

Along came a guy, who was posted to the town with his employment who had a pedigree in VFA Football. This guy took over as senior coach.

This bloke was the local copper and a true leader of men. He lead by example and when I listened to him address the team he made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. He turned average players into men who would run through brick walls to get a footy. I know he personally inspired me to do things that I now pay for with the body and will continue to pay for, but he was able to turn mere mortals into supermen.

This guy went on to win a league best and fairest as a playing coach and I will never forget his influence.

I guess what I am leading to here is that we all hear how spud has the players respect etc, but to me it would appear to be exactly the opposite. Very few of our players appear to be playing with any passion or inspiration. They, by Spuds own admissions, don't follow the alleged game plan and lack a commitment to the contest.

If he has their respect why are we not seeing it in the endeavour of those that are taking the field week in week out.

To me it reeks of issues that run deep at the club. I can't help but suspect that their is more to this than meets the eye or the club are prepared to admit.

A mate of mine who works for one of our major sponsors told me several years ago that there were issues at the club which were better kept in house and it appears to me that these have festered to the point where Danny has no influence on the playing group what so ever.

How else do you explain such a turn around for a team that thrashed the likes of Hawthorn, St.Kilda and Essendon earlier in the year. Many said at the time that we had beaten nothing but time has proven that these teams deserve respect. The bombers are in the 8, Hawthorn are playing inspired and courageous football. St.kilda have shown the football world what there list is capable of.

On the flip side we have lost to Carlton, Geelong and the Roos when they were down.

It begs the question as to why.

I suspect it come back to the old adage;

"If you don't have respect you have nothing"

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Great post.

I at times I personally doubt that not all the players have respect for Danny Frawley.

Recently both Ottens & Staffard came out and said that players were playing to the coaches instructions.

This to me means one of two things, they have no respect for Danny or the players arent up to it.