Richmond Football Club History Books | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond Football Club History Books

rbartlett

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 6, 2003
www.rhettrospective.com
A few people have enquired, so I thought it best to post a list of every history book written about the Richmond Football Club.
It would be remiss of me not to disclose that I wrote the publication listed 4th on the list.

1. Richmond Football Club - Souvenir History Book 1885- 1951
85 pages - published by the Richmond Football Club
Notes: Entirely Black and White. Includes photographs of several early Richmond memorabilia which no longer exists

2. Tigerland - The History of the Richmond Football Club from 1885 by Former Players Association and Brian Hansen
288 pages - 1989 first edition- up until the 1988 season.
321 pages - 1992 second edition - up until the end of 1991 season
Notes: The first Richmond History Book to include colour pages (4 in total)
The first Richmond History Book to include list of every player to play

3. The Tigers of Old - A Complete History of Every Player to Represent the RICHMOND FOOTBALL CLUB between 1908 and 1996.
359 pages - 1996 first edition - entirely black and white
Notes: The first Richmond History Book to detail in depth each player to represent Richmond in Senior Football, as well as references to Reserves and Under 19 players.

4. Richmond FC: A Century of League Football by Rhett Bartlett
272 pages - 2007 first edition - Colour and Black and White
Notes: The first Richmond History Book to be based entirely on oral accounts from newspapers and players and officials themselves.
The first Richmond History Book to include a complete Guernsey History of every player up until 2007.

5. Yellow and Black - 100 Years of Tiger Treasures by Richmond Football Club
221 pages - 2008 first edition - Colour and Black and White
Notes: The first Richmond Histroy Book to be produced specifically for a function - Tiger Treasures.

- Regards
Rhett Bartlett
www.rhettrospective.com

Reactions: 1 user
mk33 said:
no 4 on the list is a very good one

As is #2 which I really love, and #3 which I call my Bible and refer to often.

I'm not sure I'll ever be lucky enough to read #1 and I'll be ordering #5 from the club on Monday.

I'm not sure of the name of the yearly books we had, (was it A Tiger Tale?) and they gave game reviews of stats and every game of the season, as well as other bits and pieces. I'd have to search a copy out to see for sure but from memory they came with our memberships. They were great books and I'd love to still get them although in recent times, with a couple of wooden spoon seasons, they'd have some pretty depressing reading. Maybe our new marketing manager could look into having a Richmond annual kind of publication again.

Rosy and Rhett, in #3, what's the depth of the Under 19 stuff like - does it name many players?

rosy23 said:
As is #2 which I really love, and #3 which I call my Bible and refer to often.

I'm not sure I'll ever be lucky enough to read #1 and I'll be ordering #5 from the club on Monday.

I'm not sure of the name of the yearly books we had, (was it A Tiger Tale?) and they gave game reviews of stats and every game of the season, as well as other bits and pieces. I'd have to search a copy out to see for sure but from memory they came with our memberships. They were great books and I'd love to still get them although in recent times, with a couple of wooden spoon seasons, they'd have some pretty depressing reading. Maybe our new marketing manager could look into having a Richmond annual kind of publication again.

Rosy- number 1 is quite hard to find. Occassionally on EBAY. If you do find it, contains a lot of text relating to Richmond in early years, plus some great ads for Richmond places in the area. If you cant find it, I might be able to photocopy mine for you (it is stuck in my fathers scrapbook, so can't actually take it out to send)

As for the other book, I think it is Tiger Tales- done for a few years by Brian Hansen; with some additional text by Jack Dyer I believe.
Was useful as it contained stats match by match , predominately around the mid 90's i think

Does that sound right. Maybe I should add those to the list of Richmond history books to make a definitive list? What you think.

- Rhett Bartlett

Freezer said:
Rosy and Rhett, in #3, what's the depth of the Under 19 stuff like - does it name many players?

Freezer- It devoted probably 3-4 pages (say 10 or so players) for Under 19's, plus does a good attempt at listing the Under 19's Honour Board.
You can still buy copies from the Richmond Museum (once it reopens).

- Rhett Bartlett

rbartlett said:
As for the other book, I think it is Tiger Tales- done for a few years by Brian Hansen; with some additional text by Jack Dyer I believe.
Was useful as it contained stats match by match , predominately around the mid 90's i think.

The Tiger Files by Brian Hanson & Jack Dyer has 2 editions that I have for the 1995 and 1996 seasons.

I'd probably classify them as more yearbooks or season reviews rather than definitive club historicals.

rbartlett said:
Freezer- It devoted probably 3-4 pages (say 10 or so players) for Under 19's, plus does a good attempt at listing the Under 19's Honour Board.
You can still buy copies from the Richmond Museum (once it reopens).

- Rhett Bartlett

Cheers Rhett.