Richmond Guardian Newspaper | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond Guardian Newspaper

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
My husband just came home from our local shop with a present for me.

It's a newspaper called 'Richmond Guardian' A review of the local Richmond newspaper since 1875.

I'm not sure if it's a new publication or something found hidden in the rafters.....we can tend to be a bit behind the times here. ;D

It has the old membership slogan with Cogs and Yellow and Black It's in the blood on the cover, and also a full page poster of it inside,  so it's possibly not a new release.

Anyway it's fascinating and I'm off to settle in the papa san on the verandah to read it.

Does anyone else have the publication or know anything about it? 

I found out the story of this newpaper. 

It was put out by some historical society, possibly a couple of years ago, and a man from the society called into our local shop with other things for them to sell and he just gave them the copies of the replica Richmond Guardian to see if they could give them away. 

They put them on the shelf at the $2 cover price and were amazed anyone was interested.  I bought 6 copies and will probably go and get the remaining 3.  I'm sure people would be willing to take them off my hands.

The sections include

Richmond Timeline
Rural settlement along the Yarra
Personal reminiscences
Melbourne's Biggest Playground
Historical Anecdotes
and the best bit
Early Sporting History
Premiership team 1921
Premiership team 1932 and 34
Jottings on Jack Dyer..a full page of snippets about Jack*
Early Club Champions
R.U.B.C The Trophy

There are several articles and lots of photos from the early days including a May 7, 1921 article of the first days of RFC.

* An example

June 13, 1931
Jack Dyer, the big young Tiger on the reserves list, returned to his old club - St Ignatious - last saturday and was mainly responsible for their victory over the hitherto unbeaten West Richmondites.  Asked how his club fared, one official of the "Wests" made no bones about the matter when he replied, "Oh, we played Dyer today and he beat us,".

If anyone would like one of the last 3 copies and is willing to pay costs I'm happy to buy them and mail them out.

I just found a copy at my local news agent yesterday :clap

i didn't even know about it ???

It's funny how i have never seens it before, Rosy picked one up in November and now in January they are up the front with Herald -Sun and Age!!

Came across this item last week.

Absolutely sensational read.

I have the publishers contact details, if anyone is interested, PM me.