Richmond to announce new board member | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond to announce new board member

Tigers Let’s Roar

Long time reader, spasmodic contributor
Apr 22, 2004
Melbourne
Tomorrow (June 4th) a person from telecomunications corporation Motorola (one of our key sponsors), will be added to the Richmond Board. I dont have to many details about this, but he is being included to give strength to the board.......

More news, as it breaks.......

Phone boss answers Tiger call
04 June 2004 Herald Sun
Trevor Grant

RICHMOND'S depleted administrative ranks received a boost yesterday when a boss of the club's joint major sponsor joined the board.

Alan Nicklos, 45, managing director of Motorola's mobile phone business, is the second new director to be named following the hasty departure of directors Brendan Schwab, Peter Welsh and Michael Daddo on the eve of the season. The first was radio host Anthony Mithen.

Richmond president Clinton Casey said yesterday the recruitment of Nicklos was a major coup for the Tigers.

"We are looking for people well-connected in the business world, especially in growth areas, and people who can increase the revenue of this football club. Alan fits the bill very well," Casey said.

Nicklos's first job as director was to put the finishing touches on a new sponsorship deal he has organised through one of Motorola's business partners. The sponsorship deal, valued at $150,000-$180,000 a year to the club, is expected to be announced within a week.

His second job was to deny a report that cast doubts over his company's $900,000 sponsorship of the club next year.

Motorola, which is joint sponsor with the Transport Accident Commission, is reviewing the one-year deal.

Nicklos said Motorola would make an announcement in August after its budgets were confirmed.

"We are in our second year here and we are very happy with the way the relationship is going," he said. "It is our policy to sign one-year contracts, but we have a long-term strategy and football is a big part of it. We are in negotiations now. Things are looking very positive."

Casey also said he was unaware that the TAC, which puts $600,000 a year into the club's coffers and is in the final year of a three-year contract, was likely to end the relationship, as reported yesterday.

"I find that difficult to believe. I had a meeting with the chairman and the acting chief executive a week ago and there was no indication there was any problem with the sponsorship," Casey said.

Is there any official protocol in regard to adding someone to the board?

Is there a selection committee? Do the rest of the board vote on it? Who interviews prospective board members?

I forget the number, I think it was around 40-50, people have applied for the board.

Who decides if they are acceptable or not?

I don't have a clue about how our board works, and have only really taken much interest because of the way the election campaign was managed this year.

Would love to learn more if anyone has the knowledge.

In the normal world the company would have to pass an "Ordinary Resolution" to add a new director to the board. This would mean that of the voting members they would have to get atleast half the votes to appoint the director.

What must be considered is "who are the members" of the company and what is in the clubs constitution in regards to directors.

I'm sure all the technical details have been taken care of in Casey's usual caring, sharing, democratic, open, and transparent manner ::)

LMAO at this appointment - fair dinkum.

If Anthony Mithen and Alan Nicklos are the pick of the 30 or 40 so called applications that Corn Chips received to join the Board, the other applicants must have been the biggest losers of all time.

I can't believe this - it just keeps getting worse and worse. I'm sure there will be more to come.

Corn Chips - you really have no idea.

This style of "leadership" just has to end.

NutCasey is simply running a loose ended, autocratic operation that has no formal strategic plan underpinning it, and thus, no substance and credibility at all.

I can see why 3 Board members resigned and why Daphne and Macek are so concerned.

The sooner a ticket with some professional representatives is formed to challenge NutCasey, the better.

It could also could be seen as a desparate effort to keep one our major sponsors.
We are a rabble at the moment. One would have to understand why any successful business would rather put their money else where.

Is it good business practice to have a major sponsor on the board? It sounds awkward to me — especially from Motorola's point of view.

Is there precedent at other clubs for this kind of sponsor/club relationship?

Interesting point, Deano.

Will he have to leave the room every time the board discusses sponsorships ?

Dean3 said:
Is it good business practice to have a major sponsor on the board? It sounds awkward to me — especially from Motorola's point of view.

Is there precedent at other clubs for this kind of sponsor/club relationship?

HIH's notorious Brad Cooper gave 250,000 illgotten dollars to Collingwood so that he could be elected onto their board.