Richmond president besieged (the australian) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond president besieged (the australian)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Richmond president besieged
By Patrick Smith and Greg Denham
June 01, 2004
IMMEDIATE past Richmond president Leon Daphne has emerged as a central figure in advising a group working to overthrow embattled president Clinton Casey.

Former Richmond director in the Daphne administration, Charles Macek, last night indicated he was prepared to be part of a well-organised and credible takeover of the club.

In another twist, it is understood, for reasons of harmony, that current board member Rob Turner could be approached by rival groups to act as interim chairman.

Casey remained undaunted by the challengers last night. "I'm up for it. I'm up to the fight," Casey said.

As for Macek, the president said: "He has always held a candle to the position. He was always someone who wants a crack at the presidency."

Macek, a member of the Telstra and Wesfarmers boards and chairman of the Financial Reporting Council, said he was highly concerned about the direction of the Richmond club.

"Concerned with a capital C," he said. "I believe a fish rots from the head and I believe this administration has failed the football club."

A non-executive director at Telstra, Macek in April played a key role in the dispute that led to the surprise resignation of chairman Bob Mansfield.

Last week, Daphne met recently resigned board members Peter Welsh and Brendan Schwab and former player Brendan Gale, who is believed to have rejected an offer by Casey to join the truncated Tigers board.

Daphne, club president from 1994-99, had anticipated Macek would replace him as president in 2000 before Casey made the succession untenable. Daphne said last night: "Obviously, Welsh and Schwab are good friends of mine and, yes, we did talk about our worries about the club.

"I am a concerned supporter but I have no aspirations to take a position with the club."

Daphne, Welsh, Schwab, Gale and Macek are concerned over the direction the club has taken since last December.

A predicted $600,000 profit for 2004 has been downgraded to a $1-$2 million loss and the club has sought a $4m redirection from the AFL. Casey still has a personal $1.6m guarantee with the ANZ bank, helping the club to trade.

The club's chief executive, Ian Campbell, hired in March last year, stepped down from his position last week. Former Commonwealth Games bid administrator Leighton Woods is tipped as his replacement.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9708118%5E2722,00.html

No surprise really.

"I believe a fish rots from the head and I believe this administration has failed the football club." How true. :-\

I hope that article makes you feel a bit better Rosy ( refer your Beautiful Mind thread ). I have always been one for stability at the club, but I really don't even care now whether these guys wait for the end of the year or even try a takeover before then. Casey just has to go. I just hope that those planning the coup have a plan for the future not just for the takeover.

Isn't it great reading Fatprick Smith feeding on our carcas every day.God he *smile* me.

MCG said:
I hope that article makes you feel a bit better Rosy ( refer your Beautiful Mind thread ).

It would be a very sad situation if it took a takeover bid to force the club to address the members about our situation.

As to the headline 'president besieged' it sounds more like 'might be besieged' to me at this stage.

There are obviously things being set in motion one way or the other.

I guess as they say in the classics, it's a matter of "Watch This Space." ;)

Rosy, read the postings on your own board. Do you seriously believe that Casey has a snowflake's chance in hell of surviving?

Change can be a positive thing. Quite frankly, without it, Richmond is doomed. The right people need to take control. If Leon Daphne is involved I feel we're finally on the right track.

The revolution is on. Things are starting to finally happen at Tigerland. Personally I haven't felt this positive about our future in a long time. ;D ;D ;D

Daphne, Schwab and Welsh ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't these blokes had a go at sitting in the drivers seat and failed ?

Next !!

Where's that Crazy John bloke...........he sounds more promising.

notorious219 said:
Rosy, read the postings on your own board. Do you seriously believe that Casey has a snowflake's chance in hell of surviving?

Change can be a positive thing. Quite frankly, without it, Richmond is doomed. The right people need to take control. If Leon Daphne is involved I feel we're finally on the right track.

The revolution is on. Things are starting to finally happen at Tigerland. Personally I haven't felt this positive about our future in a long time.    ;D ;D ;D

Maybe my post didn't come across as intended. :'(

I didn't get the impression from the article that a takeover is a certainty yet, more that it's at a discussion over a cup of coffee stage.

I think I've made my views clear on other threads.

I am furious we've been kept in the dark and told nothing.  It shouldn't need a takeover for us to be given any info but it obviously does.  :mad:

I would love Benny and Leon involved at the club in some role. They both have plenty to offer. One his vast football knowledge and one his extensive business knowledge as well as valuable experience on the board.

Both Richmond people and both very much people's people.  Friendly and approachable. :)

rosy3 said:
I am furious we've been kept in the dark and told nothing.  It shouldn't need a takeover for us to be given any info but it obviously does.  :mad:

Rosy - serious question - what do you mean? What are we being kept in the dark about?

Harry said:
Daphne, Schwab and Welsh ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't these blokes had a go at sitting in the drivers seat and failed ?

Next !!

Don't think he's crazy enough. ;D

What's wrong with Daphne? He balanced the books at Tigerland, which has been a rarity of late.

There'll be new people in the football dept and it seems a certainty that Greg Miller will still be around. It won't be the same team the Daphne worked with last time.

I just think it's unfair to bucket him for the sake of it. So what if he's been there before, is that a crime?

notorious219 said:
What's wrong with Daphne? He balanced the books at Tigerland, which has been a rarity of late.

There'll be new people in the football dept and it seems a certainty that Greg Miller will still be around. It won't be the same team the Daphne worked with last time.

I just think it's unfair to bucket him for the sake of it. So what if he's been there before, is that a crime?

Daphne did a great job, apart from the Northey stuff up.Casey has ran this club into the ground.

I am happy for Daphne to be involved at Board and Admin level again,as long as he stays out of the footballing and on field matters and leaves them to Miller and perhaps even Benny Gale.
Terrific business acumen has Leon,but footballing appointments aint his forte.

Likewise Stuggle,a couple of high up North mates tell me Miller should stay away from the administration part.The're still bleeding about the broadmeadows pockie barn fiasco.

Beeny Gale would be a great guy to have on the board. He has to be one of the most switched on people to have played AFL.

Harry said:
Well Crazy John is a Richmond supporter. He approached the club with the view of sponsorship but was knocked back bacause of our sponsorship with Motorola.

I think we need Crazy John, Wacky Rex and Insane Mal on the board.

Harry said:
I think we need Crazy John, Wacky Rex and Insane Mal on the board.

I was thinking along the lines of Mark Chopper Reid, Neddy Smith and Ted Bundy.
The player would be too scared not try.

we should get some of underworld figures like Mick Gatto and Carl Williams onto the board. Along with getting our finances up and running, we'd also have the board in-fighting that we're accustomed to.