Richo ready to give some cheek | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richo ready to give some cheek

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
2:09:53 PM Mon 14 April, 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

Fresh from successive victories Richmond is certain to welcome back champion spearhead Matthew Richardson for its Easter Monday clash against St Kilda at Telstra Dome.

Richardson was a late withdrawal, as expected, from Sunday’s win over Fremantle after suffering a minor fracture to his cheekbone the previous week against the Bulldogs in an accidental head clash with Scott West.

And the Tigers decision not to risk their number one player turned out to be a wise one as the atrocious conditions at a waterlogged MCG would not have suited a player who relies on his marking such as Richardson.

The Tigers, so often accused of being over-reliant on Richardson to kick their goals, also managed to find ten individual goalkickers against the Dockers.

Advertising
Frawley said Richardson had been close to being fit to face Fremantle but would now definitely return for Monday’s clash against the Saints.

“Matty is just about a certainty to play (this week),” Frawley said.

“He was a chance to play (against Fremantle) and being a senior player we gave him every opportunity but it was the doctor’s call (not to play him) at 4pm (Saturday).”

“I said ‘If he fit I’ll play him but if he’s not I won’t’, but from all reports he is going to be cherry-ripe for this week.”

The Tigers, under enormous pressure going into the season after slipping from 3rd to 14th last season, have recovered well from their poor first round showing against Collingwood to beat the Western Bulldogs and Fremantle in the past two matches.

And now they face a St Kilda side coming off a humiliating loss in Perth against West Coast but which beat highly-rated Adelaide in its only home game of the season so far at Telstra Dome.

Frawley admitted the eight day break ahead of the clash against the Saints would be timely for his side after they endured some of the worst conditions seen at the MCG for years on Sunday after a freak rain storm turned the ground into a virtual lake.

“It does come at a good time after playing in those conditions,” Frawley said.

“I suppose because the game is played in-close (in wet weather) you don’t expend a lot of energy running around.”

“But then you do get more bruising with the cut and thrust of getting in and under (to get the ball).”

“A few of our boys are sore and rightly so but it’s like anything if you win those sore spots soon go away a bit.”

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
mightytiges said:
2:09:53 PM Mon 14 April, 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

“Matty is just about a certainty to play (this week),” Frawley said.

“I said ‘If he fit I’ll play him but if he’s not I won’t’, but from all reports he is going to be cherry-ripe for this week.”

Latest update: Richo was spotted in the bank in Carlton only 30 minutes ago (this is for real) still sporting a massive cherry. He'll need all of the next few days to recover.

I think Danny's quote was misinterpreted, it should have said ".....he'll still have a massive cherry-ripe for this week."

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Will nuf nuf Frawley lie again to all the Richmond supporters and say he is playing. He is an embarrassment to the club.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Diggler: Monday is a long time away. Nothing wrong with a few psychological games to too keep the opposition thinking. It doesnt worry me although it makes selecting my fantasy team a bit harder.