Richo's leadership | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richo's leadership

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I know things don't show up on telly as well as they do at the game but it looked to me that we lacked onfield leadership tonight.
At one stage Richo was standing like a stuffed chook waving his arms begging for Tivva to pass a kickout to him and wasn't happy when it didn't happen. Surely he'd realise a moving target would be a better bet.
After the game Richo gave someone the finger as he went up the race. Grow up Richo, learn to ignore the taunts. A captain should be setting an example for the kids in the team.
If you have a shocker you just have to wear it.

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
In a word - pathetic. Richo showed tonight why he shouldn't be captain after his little stint this year. Not chasing out of the forward line and flipping the bird at the crowd after scoring his only goal of the night has sealed his fate I'm afraid. I'm embarrassed to be a Richmond fan tonight. That's our leader out there.

Cogs, Holland & Newman (and to a lesser extent Tivendale, Fiora & Chaffy) are the only ones that can look their team mates in the eye tonight.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
OMH tonight on MMM they said that Krak really had a go as well and did a lot of the 1%. Didn't see the game, but happy to hear opinions on Krak as he usually works hard when we don't have the ball

tigerknights1

we have seen better days
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne
Definitely, Krak and Coughlan are our shining lights in a very dark tunnel. It is the first time in 20 years of going to the footy I left half way through the last quarter. That empty feeling is only equal to the pathetic game we put in tonight.

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
gustiger12 said:
OMH tonight on MMM they said that Krak really had a go as well and did a lot of the 1%. Didn't see the game, but happy to hear opinions on Krak as he usually works hard when we don't have the ball
Yep sorry about that Krakouer was very good too. I like his attack on the ball and is going to be a player. Kicked 2 goals and missed one that he would normally kick 9 times out of 10.

Tiger

Tiger
Jul 6, 2003
Melbourne
Perhaps Richo down the backline for the rest of the season. He is a great mark. Not having a close checking backman whilst leading for a *smile* kick would be good for him. He could be another Gaspar. We know he not Captain material - heart on the sleeve. But Richo is a son of Richmond & I am loyal to true tigers to the end. Rather be coached by KB than a dud from the club with the worst history/attitude & assistant coach to the wooden spooners.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Tiger I agree on this. Could be used as the loose man in defence to break up the tag/double tag. Thought he did okay in the last quarter and took some good contested marks

This is the secret in my opinion, we have to be prepared to do the unpredicatable which we have not done in three maybe nearly four years.

The year is over lets see what we have and take some risk. What can we lose, nothing, what can we gain, some extra draft picks.

Don't think anyone would argue with that anymore. Better than trying to pretend we are a finals chance when we are as MMM said "a Rable"

There you go DIGGLER it's now official.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
We played Richo at full forward and he was no good so then we tried him at CHF. He was no good at CHF so now we are talking of playing him in the backline. After he fails there the only option we have left is to play him behind the grandstand where has can sell footy records or work in a hot food van.

His mannerisms and demeanour were shocking tonight as per usual.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Richo was sooooooooo bad. The guy is just not a leader of men.

He wastes so many opportunities for the side. Everyone else is busting their gut to get the ball down forward and he continually coughs it up, spoils his team mates, does stupid things, commits basic skill errors, falls over and lays on the ground for 30 seconds allowing his opponent(s) to run off. Bad, real bad.

If Richo wants leadership he should look no further than Krak. Krak hit the ball hard, tackled hard even when he had no chance, he kept the pressure on in the forward line, plenty of second and third efforts, when he hit the deck he was straight back up. Not crying and throwing his head and hands around like a bloody big sook.

If Krak was able to rove around a key forward with a brain he'd already be a champ. Richo stuffs it up for himself and the team. How the hell can he be Cap'n Tiger.

Joke bloody joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Throw the big twit down back running around like the headless stallion that he is because he looked better there in the last quarter. BUT do not, I repeat do not kick it to him from the kick-in.

Richo Captaincy - 0
Richo Ability - 9
Richo Execution - 2
Richo 1st Effort - 7
Richo 2nd Efforts - 0
Richo Athleticism - 9
Richo Maturity - 1
Richo Footy Smarts - 1

Sorry Richo you frustrate the hell out of me. You've just completely lost it at the mom and you are dragging the team down with you pal. :'( :'(

wagstaff

Tiger Cub
Mar 10, 2003
Melbourne
It's only this season it's dawned on me that Richo is the most selfish player in the league - I hear all this stuff of how nice a guy he is off the field but on it he's the most self-serving, arrogant, obnoxious player I've ever seen. The worst thing he takes most of his frustrations out on his own teammates - I wouldn't mind it so much if he tried to deck a few of the opposition.

That he's the captain of the club just shows what a rabble this club is.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Yeah totally agree wagstaff, it was at the Carlton game that I stopped seeing Richo as the focal point of our forwardline but as a complete liability to the side. He only handballs when he's being tackled and very rarely gives it off by foot after taking a mark. He's a shocking leader and he takes up most of our TPP.

He'll never be part of a team. Trade him.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
agree guys.
cant believe he will captain the last 7 (now 6) games!
on last night's showing he should be stripped of the acting captaincy immediately and given to someone else.
Chaff or Staff would be my first choice. Even Cammo or Johnno would be a better bet. (although Johnno hasn't played enough games yet to be given captaincy)
Long term of course you can't go past Coggs when Cambo gives it away.
Richo will never change.
that's Richo- his good and his worst are poles apart and he never plays in between. When Buckley is down on form he is still effective 4 his team. Richo can't do that!!

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Dipper summed it up in one word. He said our senior players are sooks. Id add another word:- losers. Richo is the biggest loser of them all and he is captain of the titanic!

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
It kills me to say it, because when he is on fire, there is no one better to watch than Richardson but I totally agree with Tenacious Tiges and Wagstaff. So wont reiterate what they have typed except to say...

Richo is NOT a captain.
Richo should not be FF.

The last goal of the night was kicked by burns (I think), and came after richo stood flatfooted after a kick in. He carried on and scowled at Tiva but it was Richo's fault for not at least making a contest. Richo is not a captain.

He got dragged in the second quarter after what can only be described as a token effort to chase a ball free in the forward line. Richo is not a captain.

In the last quarter Frawley FINALLY moved him to where the ball was (ie not our forward line) and started him in the middle. He was there for 3 bounces, and each time stood flat footed on the defensive side of the circle, never even looking like he was a chance of helping clear the ball. Maybe Frawley wanted him to get a close look at a real captain? He then moved down back and was actually servicable for the 10 minutes he played there. Didn't have far to walk to the changerooms either, but time enough to stick his fingers up at someone in the crowd. Richo is NOT a captain.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
The really depressing thing is we will persist with Richo as captain for another 6 weeks.
That's a disgrace and very unprofessional of the RFC imo.
I shudder to think what effect Richo's selfish temper could have on the young kids futures.
Richo is not a captain, and he should be stripped of the privelige immediately.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Rosy how can they strip Richo of the role now.

That would be like waiving the white flag and saying look yes we are a rabble and we can't even appoint a leadership group with any depth.

Don't you know by now we must maintain a brave face and remain positive against all odds. To actually admit someone was not upto it would be "a very unRichmond like performance I would have thought"

By the way does anyone know who was VC last night.

Really didn't look like there were too many "stepping up to the plate" in the leadership department last night except for the obvious.

We should now adopt the Grant THOMAS approach and rotate the Captaincy role for the remainder of the season amongst the leadership group to see who has true leadership potential.

Maybe now would be the time to appoint Cogs as VC to see how he handles it for the remainder of the season.

tigerknights1

we have seen better days
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne
Last night I saw team stripped of any self-respect. Where we go from here, if I knew that I would put my hand up for the job.

I'm a huge advocate of Richo, but even I hate to see him reduced to sticking his finger up at the crowd. I saw Richmond supporters instead of hurling abuse at the players, sitting back in shock and dare I say embarrassement.

Nothing else is working, no-one wants to "take the next step" or doesn't know how. I'm not a big fan of Grant Thomas considering the rumours of how he got his job, but maybe, just maybe, rotating the captaincy will unearth some untapped potential.

It's time to let the young kids take the lead. We had a good team once in 1995 with the young 'uns, we can again.

Tassie27

Come and give me a kiss!!
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
OMH said:
In a word - pathetic. Richo showed tonight why he shouldn't be captain after his little stint this year. Not chasing out of the forward line and flipping the bird at the crowd after scoring his only goal of the night has sealed his fate I'm afraid. I'm embarrassed to be a Richmond fan tonight. That's our leader out there.

To be fair to Richo, I don't think he gave the bird to the crowd after kicking his goal. I initially thought so too, but after I saw the replay I realised he put up his two index fingers, not the middle fingers.

EyeOfTheTiger

I'm a llama!
Jul 16, 2003
He definately gave the finger to someone in the crowd after the game.
Poor leadership all night and he should be stripped of the captaincy.
Disgraceful Richo.
Time you grew up.

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Richo was pathetic - Rosy i saw what you were talking about when he had a sook when tiva didnt kick him the ball, was sitting right in front of that.

The fact that richo was appointed captain just proves what shambles the club is in.

This sounds horible - but at one stage, we thought richo was injured and i actually was happy to see him hurt ( :-\), because i knew we would have a new captain if he was out.

He showed no leadership ability at all, i saw Hilton barking out more orders, then i did richo.