Rookies for 2013 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rookies for 2013

bullus_hit said:
I would definitely use our PSD pick, with the talent available why would we deliberately downgrade our drafting position? For the sake of a one year salary it simply doesn't make sense, particularly if we are looking at picking up a junior.

I agree, you probably can't make the call on most players after just 12 months anyway.

The only reason that I can see for only putting 38 on the main list and beefing up the rookie numbers is that it is part of the overall strategy for fitting in contracts for Cotchin, Riewoldt and Martin in 2014.

By leaving two places vacant, this may bring their Total Payments for 2013 to below 95% of the Salary Cap. In turn, this may allow them to pre-pay other players during 2013, freeing up Salary Cap space for the following year. It may also leave scope for the three players to receive a “signing-on” fee of some sort, which can be accommodated under this year’s salary cap.

We will know more next week but it looks like the rookie list will have a combination of younger players (Darrou, Verrier and probably one or two more) who most likely won’t play much in 2013 and a couple of older players who will only get a game if a run of injuries hits. Either way, they are all likely to be on pretty basic wages, unless injury really hits.

TOT70 said:
One of the morning papers has reported that PA has committed to Colquhuon in the PSD.

Shame.

Signed sealed delivered, Port have done very well this draft period, I wouldn't be surprised to see them ace everyone bar GWS.

Oliver Wines will shock a lot of people. Selwood like. Fierce.

Getting Wines was a steal. But getting Tom Clurey in the second round was a great get. Not unlike Alex Rance. But better with the ball.

And Mason Shaw at 198cm is someone that you put work into and hope he comes on. Takes time but a good time. But Shaw tales pack marks, jumps into the packs.

Chuck in Colquhuon via the PSD is a steal. Colquhon will play AFL a lot of AFL footy. Good start for Hinkley.

I just read we are taking Orren Stephenson and Addam Maric. Say it aint so?

tigertim said:
I just read we are taking Orren Stephenson and Addam Maric. Say it aint so?

Stephenson im ok with he's mobile and strong overhead BUT A.Maric seen enough hope they dont!!!

Tigertool said:
Surely no chance! Do you have a link?
http://www.facebook.com/#!/theafloffseason

Don't know if they're making it up as they go along though.......

The AFL have tweeted the Pre-season Draft list and we are one of the clubs listed - any word on who we are taking?

Tigertool said:
Surely no chance! Do you have a link?
and we have a sentence in this Brett Goodes article

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/western-bulldogs-consider-afl-fairytale-for-vfl-journeyman-brett-goodes/story-e6frf9jf-1226531613431
saying we're leaning towards Stephenson. btw, well done to Goodes if he gets chosen.

puregreen said:
The AFL have tweeted the Pre-season Draft list and we are one of the clubs listed - any word on who we are taking?

We are eligible to select a player but are likely to pass and take 4 rookies instead.

Tigerdog said:
We are eligible to select a player but are likely to pass and take 4 rookies instead.

Will this leave us 1 short on the list or are we taking 4 rookies with the view to elevating 1 onto the list closer to round 1 ?.

Seemed to imply that there were 7 clubs that had said they wouldn't be using the draft - I can only assume from that we have indicated to the AFL that we will use a pick.

Tommo37 said:
Will this leave us 1 short on the list or are we taking 4 rookies with the view to elevating 1 onto the list closer to round 1 ?.
We are not one short. We have 38 listed players and 2 rookies.

There is no problem with us taking 4 rookies and none in the PSD.

Sintiger said:
We are not one short. We have 38 listed players and 2 rookies.

There is no problem with us taking 4 rookies and none in the PSD.

This is right.

I'm thinking the AFL, knowing Newy is eligible for the vets list, is simply implying we are eligible for a pick in the PSD (which we are under no obligation to use).