Sacrificing game time for advertising | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sacrificing game time for advertising

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Does anyone know if broadcasters under their current contracts are allowed to sacrifice gametime for advertising in delayed telecasts??

Well I am suitably PI$$ED OFF with channel 10's coverage of last nights Tiger match here in Sydney!!

1) they played it a 11:30pm after some crappy B grade film starring Mark "I'd better get into acting cause I can't sing" Whalberg which followed yet another rerun of "another brady sequel" (I think I'm going in circles) ???

2) There were at least a couple of times where goals were scored and they went to an ad break with at least 5-6 ads and then when the game returns, the ball is nowhere near the centre bounce!!!
An example of this was after Joel Bowden's great goal, they went to an ad break, they came back and guess where the ball is.....Being thrown in from our forward pocket!! :mad: :mad:

and last but not least.....
3) NO CIRCLE SONG...NO POST MATCH INTERVIEWS....NO GAME SUMMARY....NO GAME STATS!!!
This is the time I really enjoy after a win, getting to hear our song sung by the crowd and the boys and hearing their thoughts on the win.

This was how the game ended.......
And theres the siren Tiger's get up by nine points!!!.......You have been watching AFL 2003 proudly sponsored by you know who!!!

We had a great win and I decided to sing our song at the top of my voice at 2am when the game ended. I wasn't going to let the programming buffoons at channel 10 take that away from me!!! 8)

tiga, I think all it says in the contract is that they must show Sydney games into Sydney. Don't think there is any criteria on what and how much they need to show of other matches.
It's systematic of the current AFL multimedia contract. If you want to see your team when they play interstate you need to have PAY-tv. Who cares that supporters of a travelling side can't see their match. Go for the local game even though most of their supporters will be at that match anyway. It would be interesting to see how the ratings compare b/w ch 10 now and ch 7 when they covered the footy.
Also if you want to download stuff from afl.com.au you need broadband (which costs two to three times as much as a dial-up connection) as the quality of the video is designed to be crap for a dial-up connection (bloody money-grubbing Telstra).

Sing loud and sing proud tiga ;D.

Well both the local newspaper and the tv guide said the Richmond game was on but on both Chan 10 and 10 Gold Coast they showed the Brisbane Lions game. So it was nearly 7.30pm when I found out by accident that Fox Footy had the Richmond game (they didn't list it in their programme either) and was well into the first quarter.

mightytiges said:
Also if you want to download stuff from afl.com.au you need broadband
I have broadband and I've tried to see the highlight packages they put on the richmond website which are free and I think the last one I got to work was the one against St Kilda. The rest don't work :mad:

I have the same problem TG. I was a member of the AFL website for the past year, I have ADSL and I can only get about 30% of the video to actually work! Their video streaming server Sucks!! :mad: