Same approach for Richo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Same approach for Richo

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Barry Levinson
afl.com.au
3:59:21 PM Fri 4 April, 2003

Richmond coach Danny Frawley says star forward Matthew Richardson has approached his football in the same this week, despite being in the spotlight for his wayward kicking at goal.

Richardson had no problem winning the football in the Tigers’ 28-point loss to Collingwood last weekend, but struggled to convert in front of the sticks, kicking 1.6.

“He’s gone through the same routine as he has every week,” Frawley said before training at Punt Road on Friday. “He’s worked on it (his goalkicking). We have sessions where we work on our individual aspects and he’s done the same things as he did last week and the week before that and the week before that.”

The forward spent much of the warm-up before training having set shots at goal.

But the Tigers coach does not believe it is fair to focus on one player, in the search for answers to their disappointing start to the season.

Frawley said Richmond is capable of defeating the Western Bulldogs at Telstra Dome on Sunday, if he receives an even contribution from the whole team.

“He’s working on some aspects that may have let him down, but I’m sure this week we’ll see a more complete team and I think to focus on one player is un-Richmond like. We need 22 contributors out there on Sunday and I’m sure we’ll get that.

“If we get 22 contributors playing average games, we’re a chance to win it.”

When asked if he would consider playing Richardson further up the ground, Frawley said he felt there was an opportunity to expose the Bulldogs’ lack of height in defence, with his star forward deep in attack.

“We could play him up the ground, but in saying that, at Telstra Dome the ball gets in there (the forward line) a helluva lot quicker,” the coach said.

“Chris Grant is going to be a huge loss for them. We might be able to capitalise on that in some way. We’ll have to wait and see on Sunday.”