Secession movements | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Secession movements

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Should Scotland break away from the UK? Should California break away from the USA? Should WA break away from Australia?

With economic stagnation around the world, secession movements are gaining greater traction. IMO this is a great thing as decentralised government is far less effective at destroying liberty as big centralised governments are. Unfortunately it might lead to violent conflict. Why people continue to want to be politically aligned with other people that have completely different views is beyond me. So many politically charged ideas could be resolved with far less angst were political groupings smaller than they currently are.

Catalonia is probably gaining the most media coverage at the moment, and unfortunately the Spainish government is resorting to violence to stop it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/catalonia-independence-referendum-catalan-police-storm-ministries-arrested-josep-maria-jov-a7956581.html

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Don't get me started on WA. Bankrolled by the rest of the nation, Vic and NSW mostly, for 150 years, then when the time comes and they can tip some back in, they whinge and sook. Hides like rhinos.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Giardiasis said:
So if WA wanted to break away, what do you think the federal government and the other states do?

Its a complex hypothetical. All the money comes from the Pilbara and the Kimberley. Maybe they should both break away? How small do you want to go? And times change, markets go up and down, new markets emerge, WA is rich now, but won't be forever. Putting aside all the whys wheres and hows of it happening, the WA case is dumb short term-ism.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
tigersnake said:
Its a complex hypothetical. All the money comes from the Pilbara and the Kimberley. Maybe they should both break away? How small do you want to go? And times change, markets go up and down, new markets emerge, WA is rich now, but won't be forever. Putting aside all the whys wheres and hows of it happening, the WA case is dumb short term-ism.
Well as small as people want to, but I think WA breaking away would be the first logical step.

However you have side stepped the question, if WA wanted to break away, what should the appropriate response be from the feds and the other states?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Giardiasis said:
Well as small as people want to, but I think WA breaking away would be the first logical step.

However you have side stepped the question, if WA wanted to break away, what should the appropriate response be from the feds and the other states?

bust out the howitzers! Nah who knows, pointless hypothetical. Political posturing.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
tigersnake said:
bust out the howitzers! Nah who knows, pointless hypothetical. Political posturing.
It's not pointless, I think any free society should have appropriate provisions for succession to take place. Spain is currently demonstrating how anti-liberty is it.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Giardiasis said:
So if WA wanted to break away, what do you think the federal government and the other states do?

Kick them out of the AFL and Sheffield Shield.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
What a disgrace. The EU can go to hell.

https://mishtalk.com/2017/10/01/for-all-the-world-to-see-police-riot-brutality-videos-and-images-in-spain/

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Giardiasis said:
What a disgrace. The EU can go to hell.

https://mishtalk.com/2017/10/01/for-all-the-world-to-see-police-riot-brutality-videos-and-images-in-spain/

Interesting that you see it as an EU issue and not a Spanish issue, particularly when it was the Spanish police backed by the Spanish government and supported by the Spanish king inflicting brutality on the Catalan population.

Oh that's right, that's because it's a right wing Spanish government and the Spanish police have fascist tendencies going back to Franco so it can't be their fault, must be the evil EU laying into the Catalans with batons and pepper spray

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
antman said:
Interesting that you see it as an EU issue and not a Spanish issue, particularly when it was the Spanish police backed by the Spanish government and supported by the Spanish king inflicting brutality on the Catalan population.

Oh that's right, that's because it's a right wing Spanish government and the Spanish police have fascist tendencies going back to Franco so it can't be their fault, must be the evil EU laying into the Catalans with batons and pepper spray
The Spanish government is 100% the most at fault here. Get off your high horse. That you think the Spanish government being right wing makes me in anyway sympathetic to it shows you really haven’t understood my position on politics. I am against government, right wing left wing, you name it.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Giardiasis said:
The Spanish government is 100% the most at fault here. Get off your high horse.

So why didn't you blame the Spanish government and the police? Were you on your Libertarian hobby-horse?

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
antman said:
So why didn't you blame the Spanish government and the police? Were you on your Libertarian hobby-horse?
Well consider it a “goes without saying”. The EU turning a blind eye was on my mind after reading about it.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
All Government Powers Are Based on Mystical Justifications

https://fee.org/articles/all-government-powers-are-based-on-mystical-justifications/?utm_source=FEE+Email+Subscriber+List&utm_campaign=2c45de40e3-MC_FEE_DAILY_2017_10_06&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_84cc8d089b-2c45de40e3-108267461

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Independence vote succeeds 70-10. All eyes on Spain to see how far they are willing to go to subjugate the Catalonians.

http://m.dw.com/en/catalonia-crisis-spain-dissolves-catalan-parliament-calls-december-21-elections-after-region-declares-independence/a-41135190

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Giardiasis said:
Independence vote succeeds 70-10. All eyes on Spain to see how far they are willing to go to subjugate the Catalonians.

http://m.dw.com/en/catalonia-crisis-spain-dissolves-catalan-parliament-calls-december-21-elections-after-region-declares-independence/a-41135190

im not sure why you give the vote of elected representatives any weight. regardless they are just going to replace one form of oppression with another, again not sure why you appear to be favouring that?

and who would Barcelona FC play? Espanyol over and over again?

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
I don’t, I give the votes of the catalonians the weight.

I favour decentralisation as far as people want that to go. The Catalonian government will have a much harder time of oppressing catalonians than the Spanish government.

This is a matter of self determination. Are people allowed to chose their political system or not? If a socalist group wanted to separate from a more capitalist group, then I’d support that. Same for the opposite case. Do you?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Giardiasis said:
I don’t, I give the votes of the catalonians the weight.

I favour decentralisation as far as people want that to go. The Catalonian government will have a much harder time of oppressing catalonians than the Spanish government.

This is a matter of self determination. Are people allowed to chose their political system or not? If a socalist group wanted to separate from a more capitalist group, then I’d support that. Same for the opposite case. Do you?

Brodders17 said:
i know people who are dumb enough

Giardiasis said:

so the Catalonians who vote are stupid, and you have openly stated in the thread re marriage equality that you wont be voting because you dont believe in the system, but now the system gives you an outcome you like so suddenly voting is good again.